Play-by-Play

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 11, 2011 -> 01:18 PM)
Wayne Larrivee is now the radio PBP guy for the Packers.

I worded that poorly. I knew he did the Packers' games, but that's not something I normally listen too. Apparently he still does games for the Big Ten Network here and there.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 11, 2011 -> 12:04 PM)
I agree that the best announcers are on the radio, but I disagree that it's hard to find good PBP on TV. It's just an entirely different kind of PBP. The advantage that the viewer has of seeing the action is a HUGE disadvantage to the PBP guy. On the other hand, with radio, they must describe EVERYTHING that is happening, and do so clearly and eloquently.

And I believe the hockey guy you are referring to is Mike "Doc" Emrick. He's a legend and one of my favorites. There's a lot of things he does poorly (super repetitive for one) but he's a huge idol to me.

I've done hockey play by play on the radio for 15 months now and I'm absolutely in love with it. SUPER challenging at first, but once you get comfortable with it, it's so much fun.

Going between football and basketball I have learned that as an announcer tempo and rhythm of the game need to be reflected in the announcers pace and style. Basketball calls should have a faster feel to them than football. I would imagine hockey is even more so with the non-stop nature. More than anything it is about finding something you are comfortable with and going with it.

I totally forgot about Al Michaels. He's an all time great and probably can do any sport without missing a beat.

Since some have mentioned radio PBP guys, I'm going to throw in Gene Deckerhoff. He calls both the Bucs and FSU sports. The guy is a homer but nowhere near obnoxious as some. Do you like him chimpy?

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jan 11, 2011 -> 06:40 PM)
Randy Moller, the Florida Panthers guy.. I absolutely love him, he says random pop-culture quotes whenever the panthers score.. Very refreshing :)

Randy Moller Goal Calls

Yikes. He's entertaining, but there's no way I could tolerate him over an extended period of time.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jan 12, 2011 -> 04:01 AM)
I'd get sick of the schtick. Isn't the Penguins' guy the same way? Yuck.

The way I understand it, he doesn't do those calls for every goal, just in specific situations. I want to say that he only does them when the game is a blowout, when you need a little something else to keep the casual fan interested.

The Cup winner was a real tricky call to make. I knew the puck was in, I freaked out right away, but the puck doesn't usually disappear into the side padding of the net like that. That made me doubt that it was in, too, even though there was nowhere else the puck could have gone.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...