2011 Twins talent vs. White Sox talent

Just wondering what you guys think of your team this year? Talent to win it all, middle of the pack, or Kansas City Royals bad? Here in Minnesota we expect to win our 3rd consecutive division title and think we have the top talent again this year in the Central. Congrats on the Jesse Crain signing. Jesse likes to get highlights in his hair so he and A.J. should get along just fine. They do nothing on the field and eat up alot of payroll so they already have alot of chemistry. :headbang

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WhiteSUX @ Jan 28, 2011 -> 08:50 PM)
Just wondering what you guys think of your team this year? Talent to win it all, middle of the pack, or Kansas City Royals bad? Here in Minnesota we expect to win our 3rd consecutive division title and think we have the top talent again this year in the Central. Congrats on the Jesse Crain signing. Jesse likes to get highlights in his hair so he and A.J. should get along just fine. They do nothing on the field and eat up alot of payroll so they already have alot of chemistry. :headbang

Ok.

QUOTE (WhiteSUX @ Jan 28, 2011 -> 08:50 PM)

I like our roster versus the Twins roster this year.

Of course, I like our roster every year versus the Twins roster.

I think the Twins are the favorite again until proven otherwise.

Talent v. talent, it's probably the Twins by a slim margin. Of course, if baseball were all about talent, the Twins wouldn't have won as much the last 10 years, but it's not. We're close, though, so you could probably go 60/40.

Witty name, by the way....... <_>

QUOTE (WhiteSUX @ Jan 28, 2011 -> 10:19 PM)
Ok guys. But seriously, what do you think of your team this year? Is Dunn going to make any difference? Jesse Crain really isn't that bad and wish we could have kept him. Best of luck to you this year and would like to hear your thoughts on us?

Yes, I do think Dunn will make a difference from Kotsay.

If you want a player by player breakdown, I see it as follows:

C: Mauer >>> Pierzynski

1B: Morneau > Konerko (It would be more >'s if Morneau's health weren't so precarious)

2B: Beckham > Casilla (that's my projection, but you could put it the other way if you're that low on Beckham...don't sell him short, though, he's still a top prospect and hit the ball pretty well the 2nd half)

3B: Valencia > Morel

SS: Ramirez >> Nishioka (Seriously, how many Japanese players have come over and been anything more than serviceable their first year? Like, two.)

LF: Young > Pierre

CF: Rios >> Span

RF: Cuddyer > Quentin (Though that could easily change)

DH: Dunn >> Kubel/Thome tandem (Yes, I truly believe that)

I can't say I know enough about what the Twins rotation is going to look like next year, but I think I can assume:

Sox Rotation >> Twins Rotation (Especially because I'm sure you guys are aware that Pavano is unlikely to catch lightning in a bottle again. Let us not forget, Carlos Silva was dominant for a while last season. Raise your hand if you see that happening again.)

Again, not familiar enough with the Twins bullpen except that I know they lost a few arms, and good luck with Nathan's first year back from Tommy John's, so:

Sox Bullpen > Twins Bullpen (but who really can predict bullpens anyway?)

EDIT: For those counting, that's Twins: 7 >'s, Sox: 10 >'s. So there you have it. It's science.

Edited by ScottyDo

Another question I would like to ask all of you is your general feelings regarding Ozzie as manager. I know he has had some success there in the past, but as a fanbase are you in support of Ozzie, embarrassed by some of his antics, or just simply ready for a change? Personally I think his days are numbered if not successful this year.

If you want a player by player breakdown, I see it as follows:

C: Mauer >>> Pierzynski

1B: Morneau > Konerko (It would be more >'s if Morneau's health weren't so precarious)

2B: Beckham > Casilla (that's my projection, but you could put it the other way if you're that low on Beckham...don't sell him short, though, he's still a top prospect and hit the ball pretty well the 2nd half)

3B: Valencia > Morel

SS: Ramirez >> Nishioka (Seriously, how many Japanese players have come over and been anything more than serviceable their first year? Like, two.)

LF: Young > Pierre

CF: Rios >> Span

RF: Cuddyer > Quentin (Though that could easily change)

DH: Dunn >> Kubel/Thome tandem (Yes, I truly believe that)

I can't say I know enough about what the Twins rotation is going to look like next year, but I think I can assume:

Sox Rotation >> Twins Rotation (Especially because I'm sure you guys are aware that Pavano is unlikely to catch lightning in a bottle again. Let us not forget, Carlos Silva was dominant for a while last season. Raise your hand if you see that happening again.)

Again, not familiar enough with the Twins bullpen except that I know they lost a few arms, and good luck with Nathan's first year back from Tommy John's, so:

Sox Bullpen > Twins Bullpen (but who really can predict bullpens anyway?)

Dunn over Kubel/Thome......I guess you have high hopes for Adam. :blink:

QUOTE (WhiteSUX @ Jan 28, 2011 -> 09:19 PM)
Ok guys. But seriously, what do you think of your team this year? Is Dunn going to make any difference? Jesse Crain really isn't that bad and wish we could have kept him. Best of luck to you this year and would like to hear your thoughts on us?

Twins have a better lineup, White Sox have better starting pitching. They both seem like 90 win teams to me. It will probably come down to injuries (Peavy, Morneau, etc.)

QUOTE (WhiteSUX @ Jan 29, 2011 -> 12:38 AM)
Another question I would like to ask all of you is your general feelings regarding Ozzie as manager. I know he has had some success there in the past, but as a fanbase are you in support of Ozzie, embarrassed by some of his antics, or just simply ready for a change? Personally I think his days are numbered if not successful this year.

That's a point of contention amongst the fanbase. Many of us think the manager's position is overrated, myself included, so I don't get worked up about it. I'm personally embarrassed by some of the things that have happened in the past, but I think he's done better lately. He distanced himself from his son's BS and condemned it, as he should have. Ozzie is about average as a game manager (some people would probably like to have my head for that, but every manager has the same detractors saying the exact same things) but he's good at greasing the wheels, I think. As long as he and Kenny Williams can stay amiable, I think he's fine. But you're right, I'd like him to do some winning sometime soon, and if he continually embarrasses the club without the requisite W's, he may only last through the end of the option the Sox just picked up.

Of course, you ask 10 Sox fans, you'll get 10 opinions. Same with most managers for most clubs.

QUOTE (WhiteSUX @ Jan 29, 2011 -> 12:40 AM)
Dunn over Kubel/Thome......I guess you have high hopes for Adam. :blink:

Heh. You can write down an OPS over .900 and 35 HRs. Who would be surprised to see more playing half the games in U.S. Cellular? Jim Thome is going to stop being good eventually, and my prediction is that it's this year. Of course, I think we predicted that last year, which is why the sox let him walk, but you can't discount his age. As for Kubel, he's fine.

A lot hinges on Morneau because if he goes down, Thome will be overextended and I doubt even more he will be effective. Concussions are a b****. He's had a number of them. You have to be very, very worried about it.

Quick update for you guys. Morneau is on a speedy recovery to re-learning his ABC's and Gardy said this week that Justin is really enjoying the applesauce that are feeding him. Only soft foods at this point, still no control over body movements.

But seriously, none of us really know what is going on with Justin. GM Smith said recently he was doing fine and is going to start baseball activities soon. I hope so because I doubt he steps back into the lineup and is all star shape from opening day.

QUOTE (WhiteSUX @ Jan 29, 2011 -> 12:49 AM)
Quick update for you guys. Morneau is on a speedy recovery to re-learning his ABC's and Gardy said this week that Justin is really enjoying the applesauce that are feeding him. Only soft foods at this point, still no control over body movements.

But seriously, none of us really know what is going on with Justin. GM Smith said recently he was doing fine and is going to start baseball activities soon. I hope so because I doubt he steps back into the lineup and is all star shape from opening day.

If Morneau is healthy all season, the Twins have the definite edge. He's the make-or-break as far as I'm concerned.

I just hope he's enjoying the sponge baths.

Similar things could be said for Peavy and the White Sox. And I KNOW he's enjoying the sponge baths.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Jan 28, 2011 -> 10:51 PM)
That's not far-fetched. Kubel and Thome had a combined 38 runs above replacement last year. Dunn produced 37.8 runs above replacement.

Thome played above himself last year too. He'll get fewer at-bats if Morneau plays even close to 140 games next year.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Jan 28, 2011 -> 10:55 PM)
Yeah, but Kubel was probably unlucky (low BABIP for him).

Kubel's hitting style was really hampered by the new park. His shallow pop fly swing was perfect for the shorter porch Hefty bag RF. But RF at Target was really stingy for lefty power (unless you are a monster like Thome or Morneau).

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Jan 28, 2011 -> 09:52 PM)
If Morneau is healthy all season, the Twins have the definite edge. He's the make-or-break as far as I'm concerned.

I just hope he's enjoying the sponge baths.

Similar things could be said for Peavy and the White Sox. And I KNOW he's enjoying the sponge baths.

I wouldn't say so. Even with a healthy Morneau, these two teams are pretty close to each other.

I'm not basing this off bias or anything...take a look at these.

White Sox - 42.7 total WAR, roughly 91 wins.

soxhitters.png

soxpitchers.png

Twins - 43.1 total WAR, roughly 91 wins.

twins-hitters.png

Twinspitchers.png

And that's with Morneau producing 4 wins and playing in nearly 130 games.

These projections were a combination of CAIRO, Bill James projections, and FanGraphs Fan Projections. I did not take ZiPS into account, although if I did, the Sox might be looking better since the ZiPS projections look more optimistic for the Sox.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 29, 2011 -> 05:36 AM)
I wouldn't say so. Even with a healthy Morneau, these two teams are pretty close to each other.

I'm not basing this off bias or anything...take a look at these.

White Sox - 42.7 total WAR, roughly 91 wins.

soxhitters.png

soxpitchers.png

Twins - 43.1 total WAR, roughly 91 wins.

twins-hitters.png

Twinspitchers.png

And that's with Morneau producing 4 wins and playing in nearly 130 games.

These projections were a combination of CAIRO, Bill James projections, and FanGraphs Fan Projections. I did not take ZiPS into account, although if I did, the Sox might be looking better since the ZiPS projections look more optimistic for the Sox.

we're is stupid white sux fans.

you no allow to say da smart dings in front of twin fan people little poopie...