*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 01:47 PM)
Alot of those shakes have recovery carbs as well.

Some do, but a lot of people specifically concentrate on protein after workouts, and it's actually carbs their body needs at that time.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 01:09 PM)
Do you consider yourself a meso, or somewhere between an ecto/meso? Either way, consider it a blessing, it'll be easier to pack on muscle.

If your shoulders are a particular problem area, I'd start by dedicating one day a week specifically to your shoulders. On that day, your focus is your shoulders, and ONLY your shoulders. Utilization compound movements to bulk them out, followed up by some isolation exercises. I'd start off with barbell military presses, and follow those up with some arnold presses before moving on to trap exercises and isolation exercises to target the individual muscles in your shoulder. Your shoulders are important, as they're what will give you that bulked up look, moreso than anything else.

I generally break down my workout days my muscle groups. Generally legs, biceps/triceps, shoulders, chest, back, and then day six will depend.

The shoulder routine I've been doing is actually something RockRaines posted on here forever ago:

I try to very things up too by adding some steering wheel lifts, dumbell single-arm presses, etc.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 12:11 PM)
The only time is's actually useful is if a person has a very strict, nearly protein free diet, which is very very rare, and usually means vegetarian or vegan, and even then, they tend to eat a LOT of soy based proteins.

Who says consuming protein with carbs post-workout is not beneficial?

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 03:02 PM)
Who says consuming protein with carbs post-workout is not beneficial?

Ok, sorry, had previously typed this on my phone, so let me elaborate now that I have a keyboard in front of me. ;)

It's not that it's not beneficial to take protein post workout, it's that it's not *necessary*. It's necessary to get carbs post workout, as your body is the perfect place to utilize them to maximum potential for recovery. So long as your body is being supplied with ample protein throughout the day, the muscle rebuilding process will take place. Post workout there is a small window (30-60 minutes) to take carbs and use them to max benefit...while no such restriction exists on protein intake.

That said, if post workout happens to be the time you usually take protein along with carbs, by all mean, do so. But the timing in which you take protein after a workout is the myth we are talking about. A lot of people claim it's necessary to drink protein post workout, it's not.

Edited by Y2HH

Okay, who wants to help me out here?

I am going to plan a workout routine/schedule.

My goal is to plan it so that I have 2 or 3 off days. Saturday and Monday for sure.

I'd like Sunday to be my 'toughest' day.

I am extremely skinny (6 feet tall, 135 pounds), but I have great endurance (run often/exercise/basketball). So I am looking to build muscle, but this is something I've never really dedicated myself to doing. (Ive had many gym memberships and have often worked out on and off so I am not out of shape by any means, but I need a routine...)

How do I set up my schedule? Typically, I've just had workout days where I work out everything because I have so much endurance... but I want more of a real routine. Help me out?

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 03:08 PM)
Ok, sorry, had previously typed this on my phone, so let me elaborate now that I have a keyboard in front of me. ;)

It's not that it's not beneficial to take protein post workout, it's that it's not *necessary*. It's necessary to get carbs post workout, as your body is the perfect place to utilize them to maximum potential for recovery. So long as your body is being supplied with ample protein throughout the day, the muscle rebuilding process will take place. Post workout there is a small window (30-60 minutes) to take carbs and use them to max benefit...while no such restriction exists on protein intake.

That said, if post workout happens to be the time you usually take protein along with carbs, by all mean, do so. But the timing in which you take protein after a workout is the myth we are talking about. A lot of people claim it's necessary to drink protein post workout, it's not.

For me, I need to take carbs+protein after a workout because I need to be full and the protein helps me with that. I've also found that the added protein helps me with soreness.

Some people just drink a shake and s*** it all out immediately. Seriously.

QUOTE (CryptviLL @ Oct 3, 2013 -> 03:58 PM)
Okay, who wants to help me out here?

I am going to plan a workout routine/schedule.

My goal is to plan it so that I have 2 or 3 off days. Saturday and Monday for sure.

I'd like Sunday to be my 'toughest' day.

I am extremely skinny (6 feet tall, 135 pounds), but I have great endurance (run often/exercise/basketball). So I am looking to build muscle, but this is something I've never really dedicated myself to doing. (Ive had many gym memberships and have often worked out on and off so I am not out of shape by any means, but I need a routine...)

How do I set up my schedule? Typically, I've just had workout days where I work out everything because I have so much endurance... but I want more of a real routine. Help me out?

Google 5x5 and I'd start with that. Do compound lifts: bench, deadlift, squat, rows, chinups/pullups, don't worry about isolation moves for now. Most of all EAT, eat and eat some more.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 3, 2013 -> 04:40 PM)
For me, I need to take carbs+protein after a workout because I need to be full and the protein helps me with that. I've also found that the added protein helps me with soreness.

Yea, this is much different, especially considering you know your body, have solid workout experience, and know your eating schedule, etc. A lot of people just down shakes regardless of timing, or even questioning why they're doing it, or if they even need to do it. They saw it on TV or something, so it must be what you have to do!

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 4, 2013 -> 08:58 AM)
Yea, this is much different, especially considering you know your body, have solid workout experience, and know your eating schedule, etc. A lot of people just down shakes regardless of timing, or even questioning why they're doing it, or if they even need to do it. They saw it on TV or something, so it must be what you have to do!

Are you telling me those 15 minute ab commercials on tv aren't legit?!?

Anywho, just finished my leg day, it's my least favorite thing in the world then it becomes my favorite thing in the world once I'm done with it.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 4, 2013 -> 10:05 AM)
Are you telling me those 15 minute ab commercials on tv aren't legit?!?

Anywho, just finished my leg day, it's my least favorite thing in the world then it becomes my favorite thing in the world once I'm done with it.

Why do 15 minute abs when you could do 14?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 4, 2013 -> 12:08 PM)
This is much easier than the other way around :)

This is very true, but I'm just concerned that my body is depleting muscle due because of insufficient nutrition.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 4, 2013 -> 12:14 PM)
Sounds like an easy to fix problem.

No time to go grocery shopping, plus I'm regularly back and forth between two residences, which is annoying. It's something I need to make time for, no doubt.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Oct 4, 2013 -> 12:16 PM)
This is very true, but I'm just concerned that my body is depleting muscle due because of insufficient nutrition.

HIGHLY doubtful. But again, living here, this is easy to fix. Start eating more. :P

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 4, 2013 -> 12:20 PM)
HIGHLY doubtful. But again, living here, this is easy to fix. Start eating more. :P

A question for you then: I rarely weigh myself. A number isn't nearly as important to me as what I actually look like. With that said, my weight has consistently gone down over the last week or two, despite regular strength training. Am I being too short-sighted? I woke up today at 202.5 and I want to be at about 215.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Oct 4, 2013 -> 12:23 PM)
A question for you then: I rarely weigh myself. A number isn't nearly as important to me as what I actually look like. With that said, my weight has consistently gone down over the last week or two, despite regular strength training. Am I being too short-sighted? I woke up today at 202.5 and I want to be at about 215.

When did you start working out that your weight suddenly started dropping? Is this recent?

Two weeks ago, what did you weigh, and what do you weigh now?

Did you just start working out/strength training in this manner within the last few weeks?

Did you change anything in your diet? IE, were you drinking 5 beers a day, and suddenly stopped?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Oct 4, 2013 -> 11:23 AM)

it means you're burning more than you're eating.

eat more. weight loss stop.

Drink more beer. You'll get the pounds on quick.

Youre probably burning off some of that crappy weight. Keep it up and keep eating and you should see gains. Its a marathon not a sprint.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 3, 2013 -> 04:40 PM)

Strength training makes us more sensitive to protein synthesis. Consuming protein itself increases protein synthesis and slows protein breakdown (the net determining the ability to create muscle). Nutrient timing has been researched to death though, with nothing proving conclusively that there are added benefits to protein post-workout. There are people on both sides of the argument however. It does seem to make a little sense to me given the above information, so I will continue to do it. At the very least, it ensures that your body does have enough protein to do work. Plus it's a liquid meal which is digested within an hour whereas a solid meal takes 2-3 hours.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Oct 4, 2013 -> 03:18 PM)
Strength training makes us more sensitive to protein synthesis. Consuming protein itself increases protein synthesis and slows protein breakdown (the net determining the ability to create muscle). Nutrient timing has been researched to death though, with nothing proving conclusively that there are added benefits to protein post-workout. There are people on both sides of the argument however. It does seem to make a little sense to me given the above information, so I will continue to do it. At the very least, it ensures that your body does have enough protein to do work. Plus it's a liquid meal which is digested within an hour whereas a solid meal takes 2-3 hours.

I get super weak sometimes during and after workouts, protein shakes with carbs really save me from having a hard time and possibly passing out.