Lingering Injury Thread

Pants Rowland

I have a moderate tear of my medial meniscus. At least that is what the doctor reading my MRI a year or so ago told me. I hurt it one workout a year or two ago either climbing the rope or when I slipped jumping on a box. From that day on, I have had trouble on and off, sometimes having to shut it down for a week or so. The MD said there was nothing I could do to help it heal short of surgery, which really does not heal it either. I found that continued exercise actually helped it in the long run and eventually the problem became manageable as long as I remembered to avoid certain things that would aggravate it. Unfortunately, what had been an injury in remission flared up about 10 days ago while sitting at my desk (I know, Ha ha). I have not slept well for over a week now and find the most discomfort driving and just sitting in general.

I am curious if anyone has had a similar injury and what they have done to ease the pain. Also curious to hear anyone else with lingering injuries and how they have treated them over the years.

Ive had a couple lingering injuries from my time in the military. I have "permanent" stress fractures in both my tibias, basically no matter how long i allow time to heal, my tibias will just crack again the moment i start jogging for anything close to a mile. Also i had a minor tear in my LCL when i was in iraq that still bugs me to this day. Doctors I have talked to tell me that im pretty much going to feel like this forever and the only thing they can do for me is toss disability money my way every month but damnit i want to run again! ive tried everything from taking vitamins (100% of my daily value of EVERYTHING, literally), to trying to work my way up slowly and carefully, but no matter what the pain lingers. It sucks being 25 with the body of an old man... :crying

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Mar 15, 2011 -> 02:44 AM)
Ive had a couple lingering injuries from my time in the military. I have "permanent" stress fractures in both my tibias, basically no matter how long i allow time to heal, my tibias will just crack again the moment i start jogging for anything close to a mile. Also i had a minor tear in my LCL when i was in iraq that still bugs me to this day. Doctors I have talked to tell me that im pretty much going to feel like this forever and the only thing they can do for me is toss disability money my way every month but damnit i want to run again! ive tried everything from taking vitamins (100% of my daily value of EVERYTHING, literally), to trying to work my way up slowly and carefully, but no matter what the pain lingers. It sucks being 25 with the body of an old man... :crying

Swimming should replace running for you.

I was actually thinking of starting a similar thread.

Plantar fasciitis. I have it really bad in my right foot, and I think favoring led to it in the left - I have it there, too. I went to a foot doctor and he said that I broke my ankle - I think it happened about 20 years ago (I thought it was a sprain at the time), and it didn't heal correctly. That probably led to the plantar injuries. I've had inserts in both shoes for more than a year, but I don't see any improvement. I think those things are a scam because I had them years ago and never saw any improvement. And those things are expensive.

Anyway, I stretch and massage my feet constantly. No improvement. I've been icing and heating them with a gel pack for the last few days, and I've noticed some improvement. I'd like to be able to exercise without pain, too. If anyone has a cure, or even if you want to take a shift massaging my feet....

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 15, 2011 -> 08:46 AM)
Swimming should replace running for you.

Swimming is awesome for anything. Even just treading water helped my knee tendonitis.

I'm getting my first ever massage next week. Having back problems that are starting to effect my shoulders. May seek chiropractor after.

Lingering Injuries: torn rotator cuff; tendonitis in both knees

Like others have said, the best thing is to stay active but be cautious not to overwork the trouble areas. I tore my rotator cuff swimming (I do agree, though, that it's a great, low-impact workout), so I have to be careful not to swim too much or fall into old habits of only breathing on one side of my body. I can't run much with the knees, but I find a good run once in awhile doesn't hurt as long as I've been doing other things to stay in shape. Also, yoga isn't a bad idea either. I thought I'd hate it, but it really isn't too bad at all.

I have lingering pain in my middle back below my shoulder blades but above my lower back.

I hurt it back in 2007 at work when I was on a ladder trying to mount a 4-foot fluorescent light display 3 feet to my right. The light display almost fell and I had to reach my arm out to my side to stop it from falling and that's when I felt a pain in my middle back that never healed. :(

I've found that rolling on a baseball bat on the floor helps my back, so I do that at home whenever it gets really bad. I also roll on rolls of shrink wrap at work if my back ever acts up at work.

Lately for the past 6 months, I've been using this machine at the gym that REALLY helped my back and led to me not having to use the baseball bat ever since. It's a machine that's, like, a backwards layback machine with weight on it. Like, instead of sit-ups, the machine does "sit-downs", if that makes any sense. I do reps of 50 with 125 pounds and I think it really helps strenthen my back to the point where it doesn't hurt anymore. :) I'll have to keep using that maching to see if it's for real. :)

Another lingering pain I have is my right knee from when I bashed it into a brick wall during the days when my friends and I used to do backyard wrestling in our youth. :( My knee only flares up if I pick a lot of things up off the ground without bending the knee, otherwise it's usually fine.

But yea, with my back, it sometimes makes me feel like I'm 60 years old when I'm only 25. :(

Edited by SouthsideDon48

I was going to add yoga to the mix as something y'all can do that is low impact and may help your injuries. It doesnt hurt to strengthen some of the stabilizing muscles that you dont use in your regular workout routines and may actually help your injuries. You can also replace high impact workouts like running with simple squats and lunges for both core and leg workouts as well as cardio.