2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Apr 6, 2011 -> 02:54 PM)
Might as well post Andy Katz's early top-25 if we're moving on to next year already:

Early top-25

Obviously there are going to be a ton of changes, but the drop-off after #8 or so already has me worried for another uninspiring season.

I think the drop off after UNC and UK will be pretty severe. It will either be UK, UNC or UNC, UK depending on what Barnes, Jones, and Knight do.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Apr 6, 2011 -> 05:59 PM)
I think the drop off after UNC and UK will be pretty severe. It will either be UK, UNC or UNC, UK depending on what Barnes, Jones, and Knight do.

Well, if you want to get technical about it, yeah, those two would have to massively choke to not get #1 seeds. But seeing Memphis and Arizona in the top-10 is pretty weak. I realize they should both get most of their teams back and add a couple of nice recruits between them, but Memphis was a 12-seed this year and Arizona won't have much of a frontcourt assuming Williams goes and no sure-fire #1 scorer.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Apr 6, 2011 -> 05:59 PM)

Didn't I read somewhere that Selby and the Morris twins are leaving?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 09:25 AM)
Didn't I read somewhere that Selby and the Morris twins are leaving?

Yes, that's why they're talking about Kentucky, not Kansas.

As for next years teams, UNC is going to be absolutely loaded if Barnes comes back, easily the front runner imo. And even after the top 8, I think there should be some decent teams. Love Vandy's talent, despite their 1st round exits in the NCAA's the last couple of years. UCLA is going to be loaded with talent as well.

I'm sure the level of play still wont be anything outstanding but you'll have some pretty damn good teams next year imo.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 09:28 AM)

As for next years teams, UNC is going to be absolutely loaded if Barnes comes back, easily the front runner imo. And even after the top 8, I think there should be some decent teams. Love Vandy's talent, despite their 1st round exits in the NCAA's the last couple of years. UCLA is going to be loaded with talent as well.

I'm sure the level of play still wont be anything outstanding but you'll have some pretty damn good teams next year imo.

Lol, oops. I saw the "K" and thought Kansas. Others have them high on these early top 25's.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 09:28 AM)

I thought the same thing about Vandy. Based on talent, 11 makes sense, but they didn't exactly dominate in the SEC and lost in the first round. They definitely could be good though. I don't know about UCLA, Honeycutt is already gone and Lee might be. Do they have enough in the backcourt with Jones, Anderson, Lamb and Powell? The froncourt should be fine. If Lee returns, I'd be inclined to agree with you.

I like Xavier. Holloway, Lyons and Frease should be back and they add Travis Taylor, a transfer from Monmouth that averaged 17.8/7.6 on 54% shooting as a sophomore. If Morris comes back, I definitely think Michigan can/should be higher. Florida could be interesting with that insane backcourt too if they get defense and rebounding up front (which I would guess Patric Young will do).

Some of those teams in 11-20 range just aren't pretty though. Kansas without the Morris twins and Selby? Jordan Taylor and the parade of role players? Marquette after losing 15 games and with Butler and Buycks graduating? Yikes.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Apr 6, 2011 -> 07:25 PM)
Will Clyburn transferring from Utah, possibly looking at Iowa State in order to join Korie Lucious at Transfer U. Same ol same ol.

Clyburn is visiting Iowa State. That 2012-2013 team could be absolutely stacked.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 07:56 PM)
Wisconsin is overrated

That is odd to say.

I feel like people are going to look at their top-25, see only two Big Ten teams in it, and force someone in there. No one really makes sense to me right now other than OSU and Michigan (and even that assumes Morris is back).

You'd have to be a bit nuts or a homer to put Penn State, Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa, Northwestern and Purdue in the discussion.

Indiana is improving, but not really there yet.

Illinois has talent, but it's largely unproven and thinner in the frontcourt.

Michigan State is similar to Illinois. Green and Roe are okay, but the backcourt is a mess and they didn't play well this past year.

That just leaves Wisconsin, who looks spotty outside of Taylor.

I feel like at least one or two teams will seperate from that middle tier, but good luck figuring out who it is.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 06:22 PM)
Richmond just left Illinois. I would say they're in shambles to be honest. Anyone have insider info on what went on with him and Bruce?

Uh, you're a touch late to the party...

Richmond was an ass bag, didn't go to class, punched a teammate, attitude problems the whole year, and they didn't want him back.

Not sure how one guy acting like that has us in shambles.