White Sox @ Detroit Tigers, 3:10 PM, Fox

iamshack

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Apr 23, 2011 -> 09:40 PM)
Penny is literally putting it RIGHT DOWN the heart of the plate and Sox hitters

are taking terrible cuts. Dunn is the worst. His path to the ball is awful. Just awful.

Penny's fastball is tailing right down the heart of the plate. The top of the 2nd was ridiculous, as PK struck out on a terrible pitch and then Dunn couldn't catch up to a 92 mph 3-1 fastball.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 23, 2011 -> 03:37 PM)
Rios is swinging in the same spot every time, regardless of what type of pitch it is. Maybe it's time to reconstruct his swing, as there's nothing to lose right now.

Which is a scary proposition, because this is precisely what Walker said he wouldn't do in 2009 after we'd acquired him....not until the off-season.

So now what?

You just have to wait...if they have to send Beckham down for swing reconstruction, it will be ugly. Rios doesn't strike me as the type of player who will be easily willing to do something like that, either.

It's not as simple as merely changing his hands and bat position, I think he's too comfortable with that to change when it has been "imprinted" into his muscle memory. If it's anything like what Tiger Woods has gone through 3 times in his career, it will take 12-18 months to see any real progress and signs of light at the end of the tunnel.

Edited by caulfield12

587, 606 and 486 OPS numbers coming to the plate.

Ouch. And then there's Rios.

AJ=Thome/Dunn/Kotsay/Erstad, 4-3 out syndrome.

Austin Jackson going through the dreaded "Sophomore Slump" that Beckham and 90% of rookies succumb to. Except on defense.

Dadgummit.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 23, 2011 -> 04:42 PM)
His average fastball seems down this year, but I haven't seen any stats to back that up. Just feels he not popping the mitt like he did when we first got him last year.

Unless it was really down in his last game, it's right where it was last year.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 23, 2011 -> 04:42 PM)
His average fastball seems down this year, but I haven't seen any stats to back that up. Just feels he not popping the mitt like he did when we first got him last year.

The velocity on all his pitches are down this year.

http://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfx.aspx?play...&position=P

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 23, 2011 -> 03:52 PM)
9 up, 9 down. Just realized what bugs me about Morel's swing. Every swing seems like it's an 0-2 swing trying to protect the plate. I hope he likes Charlotte in May.

He's totally flat footed at contact. It's as weak as it gets.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 23, 2011 -> 03:51 PM)
The velocity on all his pitches are down this year.

http://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfx.aspx?play...&position=P

Unless you're able to compare it "year over year" to April 2010 or April 2009, it doesn't mean very much.

Not very many pitchers are throwing quite as hard in April's cold weather as they will in the heart of the season. The main attribute of Jackson (and Colon in his prime) was the ability to sustain and increase his velocity over the course of an outing, getting better as the game goes on.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 23, 2011 -> 04:54 PM)
He is just about done w/ his adjustment period. His numbers in May will be considerably better than April.

Yeah, he was supposedly doing the same thing when he was first promoted to AAA last year, and it took him a bit to get confident.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 23, 2011 -> 03:54 PM)
He is just about done w/ his adjustment period. His numbers in May will be considerably better than April.

Or we'll be back to a Uribe-ish/Teahen/Vizquel 3B platoon all year.

Cue the bring back Joe Crede threads.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 23, 2011 -> 05:00 PM)
I'm not a big fan of giving up on a rookie who has proven himself in the minors after 1 month, especially when the minor league talent is thin.

I was the guy who hated, hated, hated it every time Mackowiak played out in CF over Anderson (ask the folks with memories)...

And frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing some extra playing time for Vizquel.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 23, 2011 -> 05:02 PM)
I was the guy who hated, hated, hated it every time Mackowiak played out in CF over Anderson (ask the folks with memories)...

And frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing some extra playing time for Vizquel.

I'm all for giving Vizquel ABs at 3B and 2B 3-4 games a week, but I think Morel needs to stay on this team.

PK must have had a rough night. It's really hard to imagine a team more lifeless at the plate. We all made excuses for when we were getting shut down by Cy Young candidates. But this is pathetic so far.

Edited by fathom