Nine Back in Loss Column

greg775

QUOTE (jeffro2525 @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 05:33 PM)
Everyone keeps saying "They won't go 25-5 again"...they don't have to.

The Sox were 25-33 and 9.5 back at their lowpoint last season. That is exactly when the run started. When that was over the team was 50-38 and a game up. They finished 38-36 in the last two months (helped only by the fact that they finished 9-2 when virtually already out of it).

The fact is that the last two months were very mediocre. The Sox just need to sustain good baseball for the last 5 months of the season. It looks bad right now, yes. I'm just as aggrivated as everybody else. But I also think if people would look back at some of their posts from this time last year they would be pretty embarrassed at how they overreacted.

We trail CLEVELAND by 8 games people. If we finish below the Indians this year I'll eat my shorts.

We end the year 78-57 (88-74)...that wins the division this year. It might win it easily.

For the first bold part, I don't think I've ever seen this team put 5 straight months of solid baseball together in my life other than 2005.

For the second bold part, I don't understand why everyone talks about last year like it was some sort of major victory. I've now seen an argument of this ilk made a couple of times. They lost the division in 2010. Any reaction to that team was warranted.

Edited by Milkman delivers

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 1, 2011 -> 02:00 AM)
I haven't even been watching the games. I watched them all for the first two months last year, hell I watched them all in 2007, so I know bad stretches when I see them. But this year is just particularly unwatchable IMO. The "all in" campaign that now looks like a complete joke, the early losses due to dropped fly balls, bad bullpen work, and bad defense, and the shellshock this team (particularly the offense) has been in since those horrible early losses. All of it combined just makes this team impossible to watch for me, and this is the first time I can say that in all of my time as a fan. I pay attention to the box score, results, and our record and standings place every day because I'm no bandwagon fan. But these games are too pathetic and painful to watch. People can keep saying it's just April (May now), but facts are that our start cost us a playoff spot last year, and the odds of a 25-5 run again are VERY low. A mere 3 game winning streak seems impossible right now. This team at current pace will surpass the 2001 team for the most disappointing in my time as a White Sox fan.

This is a semi-serious question. If May goes even remotely as April did, do the Sox pull the "All In" campaign? It really is becoming a joke.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 1, 2011 -> 12:34 PM)
This is a semi-serious question. If May goes even remotely as April did, do the Sox pull the "All In" campaign? It really is becoming a joke.

They just add a two-word tag line: All In (the s***ter).

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 1, 2011 -> 06:04 AM)
As for Beckham, he just may have been better off spending a couple seasons in the Minors. He'll likely be a star, but these prolonged slumps suggests that he may not be quite ready.

I'm not sure that's quite the inevitability that people seem to think it is.

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ May 1, 2011 -> 07:26 AM)
While all this goes on, a young team like Cleveland is gaining important confidence and belief in themselves, and the Tigers can stabilize themselves and take over this division. You can't count on everyone losing to let you in-and there is no sign this team has any chance of putting a long streak together even if that happens

People seem to be writing off the Tigers rather easily. You'll see posts saying something like "The Indians and Royals will come down to Earth, the Twins are hurting, and the Tigers are the Tigers."

Nobody ever seems to have a good reason to write them off, but they are constantly talked about as a non-factor. I think they're the team to take this division.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 1, 2011 -> 11:34 AM)

Absolutely. I'm not sure it will even last that long if this continues.

The scary thing is I don't even have a clue what the solution is. I am not in Chicago, and so I think I get a more nationally-based perspective than most of you guys, who get the local perspective, and the national commentators think we'll come out of this funk. But if we don't, I don't know what the answer is. I have no idea what we do, other than just completely blow the entire thing up. But as DA has pointed out, you're still going to most likely be stuck with Peavy/Dunn/Konerko/next year....that's a $45 million payroll just between those three guys...this could get REALLY ugly if they don't snap out of this.

I forgot who said it on this board the other day, but it was the best post I've seen in a long time. The "All In" slogan put way too much pressure on a team that has struggled with pressure in recent years (ie: facing the Twins). Once the team started a mini slump, it seemed everyone started to press even more. To me, the slump seems to have started as soon as Thornton gave up the 2 out, 2 run single to tie the game to Pennington. Since then, we've played like a defeated team.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 1, 2011 -> 06:42 PM)

The scary thing is I don't even have a clue what the solution is. I am not in Chicago, and so I think I get a more nationally-based perspective than most of you guys, who get the local perspective, and the national commentators think we'll come out of this funk. But if we don't, I don't know what the answer is. I have no idea what we do, other than just completely blow the entire thing up. But as DA has pointed out, you're still going to most likely be stuck with Peavy/Dunn/Konerko/next year....that's a $45 million payroll just between those three guys...this could get REALLY ugly if they don't snap out of this.

And Rios and AJP. I'm fine with the Dunn/Konerko part taking up 26 million or whatever. I at least think they can put up better than average numbers. It's paying 30 million for two possible non-factors in Rios/Peavy that bloat our payroll.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 1, 2011 -> 12:42 PM)

One reason why I was such a big proponent of signing Lee over Konerko, since it would only be a one year commitment (obviously Lee has not been good at all so far).

Im also sick of the leadership that Konerko and Buehrle bring to the team, it would have been nice to have some fresh voice in the dugout.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 1, 2011 -> 11:45 AM)
And Rios and AJP. I'm fine with the Dunn/Konerko part taking up 26 million or whatever. I at least think they can put up better than average numbers. It's paying 30 million for two possible non-factors in Rios/Peavy that bloat our payroll.

Oh man, I forgot about Rios. That's $55 million for 4 players, and $71 million if you add in AJ/Crain/Thornton.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 1, 2011 -> 11:49 AM)
One reason why I was such a big proponent of signing Lee over Konerko, since it would only be a one year commitment (obviously Lee has not been good at all so far).

Im also sick of the leadership that Konerko and Buehrle bring to the team, it would have been nice to have some fresh voice in the dugout.

Yeah, you and I were in agreement about Lee.

And I brought up the PK/MB thing yesterday in terms of leadership...you have to start wondering if that is the common denominator here...