Nine Back in Loss Column

greg775

The White Sox, after another horrid home loss, are nine back in the loss column.

At what point do you start to worry that the team has dug too deep a hole to possibly climb out?

10, 11, 12, 13?

I mean I think this team is already on life support.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 11:46 PM)
The White Sox, after another horrid home loss, are nine back in the loss column.

At what point do you start to worry that the team has dug too deep a hole to possibly climb out?

10, 11, 12, 13?

I mean I think this team is already on life support.

its tough to say since they look so bad but theyre 9 back of the indians not the twins and tigers , thats the only reason i dont worry so much.

I'm in the middle. Yes we are 9 back in the loss column but I think it's safe to say Cleveland will come crashing back to earth sometime soon although they are a better team than most of us thought. That being said this is exactly what the Sox COULD NOT AFFORD to do. If they continue to start out s***ty, they're going to have to play at an amazing clip (like the 26-5 run last year which will probably not be done again) to make up the ground and win the Central. The bigger concern is that this team just flat out doesn't look like a true contender even if we got our s*** together.

I dont think this team has a 25-5 run in them, so I'm hitting the panic button after this weekend if they don't take the next two games. It's so disappointing to put ourselves in this position where the season is almost over come May 1 again. It's just too hard to play .630 ball or whatever from this point forward that we need to do now to get to 90 wins which is probably the number needed to win the division.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 02:59 AM)
I dont think this team has a 25-5 run in them, so I'm hitting the panic button after this weekend if they don't take the next two games. It's so disappointing to put ourselves in this position where the season is almost over come May 1 again. It's just too hard to play .630 ball or whatever from this point forward that we need to do now to get to 90 wins which is probably the number needed to win the division.

This thread is ridiculous. There are more than 5 months left in the season!

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 03:45 AM)
This thread is ridiculous. There are more than 5 months left in the season!

Yeah but at what point do you realize that we're digging a hole for ourselves that is damn near impossible to get out of? Every game counts and all of these bad losses will haunt us come September.

There has to be concern. They are losing and are failing offensively, defensively and on the mound. Their baserunning has been horrid, they insist on bunting and cannot execute bunts. Every phase has been well below par. Everyone knows teams with the Sox talent level don't perform like they have performed for 6 months. They will improve, but hopefully they don't have to make up 15 games when this turnaround occurs. I think they are still OK.

Edited by Dick Allen

10 games back has always been a cut off for me. Any team not within single digits is no threat. Yeah it is only April but behind by double digits in last place is real bad. It only took one month to fall 10 games back. 20 games back by the end of May if the same pattern continues? For example if Cleveland plays 500 how long will it take the Sox to catch up. A hot streak would certainly help but as of now no legitimate reason to be optimistic. GO SOX!

Edited by since56

I could give a s*** about how many games back we are in the loss column. The much larger concern is that we are playing like absolute horses***, with no end in sight. I haven't the slightest clue why or how we seem to go through prolonged streaks like this every season...

I can't even watch them lately...thank goodness for the NBA Playoffs.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 08:13 AM)
I could give a s*** about how many games back we are in the loss column. The much larger concern is that we are playing like absolute horses***, with no end in sight. I haven't the slightest clue why or how we seem to go through prolonged streaks like this every season...

winner

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 08:54 AM)
Some of you guys are starting to sound like Cub fans with your blind optimism. I have seen nothing that leads me to believe this team will be a contender this year.

It just seems silly to me to even be concerned about contending. At this moment, we don't even resemble a professional baseball team anymore. Worrying about this team contending is like being concerned about being a Rhodes Scholar when you're still in kindergarten.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 05:20 AM)
Yeah but at what point do you realize that we're digging a hole for ourselves that is damn near impossible to get out of? Every game counts and all of these bad losses will haunt us come September.

Some people will never understand this. The quicksand has to be up to their eyes before they admit they're sinking.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 08:54 AM)
Some of you guys are starting to sound like Cub fans with your blind optimism. I have seen nothing that leads me to believe this team will be a contender this year.

It seems that the only ray of hope, and this includes me, is that the division is so bad that we may still end up winning it. Yay, we suck less than the rest of the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 08:13 AM)

The NHL has been good, too.

When the team is this bad, the best I can do is flip to see the score, or check the box score in the morning. Its too upsetting to devote/waste entire evenings to this mess with other stuff going on.

All is not lost, and I'm certainly not giving up on the season, but they're going to have to claw back to at least .500 before I resume making them the focal point of my summer.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 10:16 AM)
It seems that the only ray of hope, and this includes me, is that the division is so bad that we may still end up winning it. Yay, we suck less than the rest of the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.

I don't know why people keep dismissing Cleveland. That offense and bullpen are real. The rotation is suspect. Masterson has been unbelievable. Carmona has been solid since his horrific opening day start. Tomlin is pitching over his head. But so was Garland in '05. So who knows. If they're in the thick of it come June/July then they, unlike us, have the pieces in their farm to go out and upgrade.

Edited by Jordan4life

I'm absolutely worried. Panicking or throwing in the towel? Hell no. But we're playing horrendous baseball right now and while I still think we're the most talented team in our division, we need to get out of this f***in rut that we're in.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 12:21 PM)
I wonder how many people still watch all of the games. I'm considered one of the biggest pessimists on this site, but I still watch every single game. It seems that a lot of people can't say that.

I watch every game that I'm not working for. I don't know why as all it does is make me depressed but I can't stop.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 12:23 PM)
I watch every game that I'm not working for. I don't know why as all it does is make me depressed but I can't stop.

I've certainly been less interested in the games. I'll do something else, like a crossword or sudoku, while watching to alleviate the pain.