Teahen on DL, McPherson recalled from AAA

flavum

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (cws0591 @ May 17, 2011 -> 02:52 PM)
So you would all prefer Kenny to bring up Viciedo to get a couple at bats a week(stunting his growth) just to let Ozzie know he is making the wrong moves? That is idiotic if you ask me. If any of you expected that to happen then idk what to tell you. If Kenny wanted 2 do that he could have just fired Ozzie. So then that leads me to why the f*** did you see this happening any other way?

BTW i think that this was the correct move considering both the atbat opportunities and the fact that Ozzie has not given up on Pierre. Im sick of people knowing what is going to happen and still are angry about it...

Ah yes, as long as we know they'll make bad moves, we should never find ourselves becoming upset at them.

You were on the right path when you talked about firing Ozzie.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 17, 2011 -> 02:53 PM)
I agree that, at this point, its time to walk away from Pierre, call up Viciedo for OF. But that is not what we are talking about here - we are talking about what to do with Teahen's slot for 10 days, which is pretty much unrelated to Pierre/Viciedo. Do you get upset about McPherson being there but Pena not being released? No, you just get frurstrated with Pena not being released period.

I'm upset about both of those things. I'd like to see all of the correct moves made.

And you're simplifying it by saying that this is just about somebody taking Teahen's spot for 10 days. I don't see it that way. As I said, I would like to see this as the chance to get Viciedo onto the major league team in order to begin his replacement of Pierre.

I guess I see this as a much larger opportunity than you do. For you and others, it seems to be just a little blip on the radar. For me, it was the golden opportunity to bring up our most talented minor league hitter to replace the major league's worst player.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 17, 2011 -> 02:59 PM)
I'm upset about both of those things. I'd like to see all of the correct moves made.

And you're simplifying it by saying that this is just about somebody taking Teahen's spot for 10 days. I don't see it that way. As I said, I would like to see this as the chance to get Viciedo onto the major league team in order to begin his replacement of Pierre.

I guess I see this as a much larger opportunity than you do. For you and others, it seems to be just a little blip on the radar. For me, it was the golden opportunity to bring up our most talented minor league hitter to replace the major league's worst player.

THIS IS NOT AN EXAGGERATION FOR THOSE THAT HAVEN'T BEEN PAYING ATTENTION. HE IS STATISTICALLY THE WORST PLAYER IN MLB.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 17, 2011 -> 02:57 PM)
Ah yes, as long as we know they'll make bad moves, we should never find ourselves becoming upset at them.

You were on the right path when you talked about firing Ozzie.

but he is not fired and you should then no that Kenny will respect Ozzies wishes. so then what i say to you is if you hate everything about this team why do you post on a message board that was created to support it. DONT WATCH

QUOTE (cws0591 @ May 17, 2011 -> 03:03 PM)
but he is not fired and you should then no that Kenny will respect Ozzies wishes. so then what i say to you is if you hate everything about this team why do you post on a message board that was created to support it. DONT WATCH

Yeah Milkman!

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 17, 2011 -> 03:01 PM)
THIS IS NOT AN EXAGGERATION FOR THOSE THAT HAVEN'T BEEN PAYING ATTENTION. HE IS STATISTICALLY THE WORST PLAYER IN MLB.

He's actually only 172 out 192 of qualified hitters in OPS. Haha. Somehow he is actually better than Hanley Ramirez this year.

But you know that I am right there with you in my hatred of Pierre. At this point, he is a sunk cost who will be gone after the year. So why keep trotting him out there every day only to see him misplay fly balls, get caught stealing and ground into double plays as a fast, left-handed hitter?

When we all woke up this morning, there were not one but two separate and distinct moves that needed to be made by this team:

1.) Replace the injured back-up third baseman Teahen for ten days

2.) Replace the poorly playing left fielder Pierre for good

The first was fairly simple, replacing Teahen with McPherson, and then in ten days, McPherson disappears and Teahen resumes doing whatever it is he actually does for the Sox. The second, given some of the things we've been reading about today (i.e. Guillen thinking of moving Pierre down to the 9th slot in the order), would seem to be at least out there on the not-so-distant horizon. But the two moves are not nearly as related as people seem to be making them out to be.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ May 17, 2011 -> 03:16 PM)
When we all woke up this morning, there were not one but two separate and distinct moves that needed to be made by this team:

The first was fairly simple, replacing Teahen with McPherson, and then in ten days, McPherson disappears and Teahen resumes doing whatever it is he actually does for the Sox. The second, given some of the things we've been reading about today (i.e. Guillen thinking of moving Pierre down to the 9th slot in the order), would seem to be at least out there on the not-so-distant horizon. But the two moves are not nearly as related as people seem to be making them out to be.

What's the point of even bringing in McPherson in the 1st place? Do we really need a third string 3B? Just bring up the hot hitting, multi-million dollar bat to replace the worst player on your team? I mean we're one of the worst teams in baseball? What are we waiting for? Make an impactful move for Christ's sake.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 17, 2011 -> 03:15 PM)
He's actually only 172 out 192 of qualified hitters in OPS. Haha. Somehow he is actually better than Hanley Ramirez this year.

But you know that I am right there with you in my hatred of Pierre. At this point, he is a sunk cost who will be gone after the year. So why keep trotting him out there every day only to see him misplay fly balls, get caught stealing and ground into double plays as a fast, left-handed hitter?

When combined with defensive stats and adjusted for position played, Pierre is actually the worst player in the bigs.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 17, 2011 -> 03:22 PM)
When combined with defensive stats and adjusted for position played, Pierre is actually the worst player in the bigs.

Don't forget base stealing, and just knowledge on the bases all together

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 17, 2011 -> 03:22 PM)

Actually just looked at his WAR on fangraphs, and yes, indeed worst player according to WAR. Ha.

Thanks for your input. Your intelligent arguments and perfect grammar have persuaded me that you are a genius and that I should listen to you.

Is it really so awful for a fan to want the team to make logical improvements to the team?

I mean, this whole winning thing os overrated. I don't know about you, but I'm enjoying seeing a vastly underperforming team do nothing to fix itself. There's nothing that I love more than watching my favorite team, in my favorite sport, do nothing to fix the debacle that has been this season.

I just love watching the same losing product and hearing the same pathetic excuses. Excusing this makes me a better fan, obviously.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 17, 2011 -> 03:26 PM)
Thanks for your input. Your intelligent arguments and perfect grammar have persuaded me that you are a genius and that I should listen to you.

I knew you'd come around.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ May 17, 2011 -> 03:16 PM)

First of all, I don't think people are even reading the entire thread before they're throwing their two cents in. Secondly, in regards to the bold part, Ozzie will only move Pierre to the 9th spot for a couple of days. He will then declare that Pierre has earned the leadoff spot again (which he will not have done), and things will be back to normal. This isn't new.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 17, 2011 -> 02:59 PM)

I see the same opportunity, I just think its unrelated. Dallas subbing for Teahen makes perfect sense to me. So does getting rid of Pierre and replacing with Viciedo.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 17, 2011 -> 03:41 PM)
I see the same opportunity, I just think its unrelated. Dallas subbing for Teahen makes perfect sense to me. So does getting rid of Pierre and replacing with Viciedo.

And considering the fact that we have absolutely no time to waste to improve this team and get back into the race, the move to improve the club should be made as soon as possible. That move could've been made today with a necessary call-up.

We don't have the time to screw around like we are.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 17, 2011 -> 03:45 PM)
And considering the fact that we have absolutely no time to waste to improve this team and get back into the race, the move to improve the club should be made as soon as possible. That move could've been made today with a necessary call-up.

We don't have the time to screw around like we are.

Still don't see the relationship. Its not like Dallas and Dayan would be sharing a ride up to Chicago or something. The roster moves have no depedency on each other.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 17, 2011 -> 03:29 PM)
First of all, I don't think people are even reading the entire thread before they're throwing their two cents in. Secondly, in regards to the bold part, Ozzie will only move Pierre to the 9th spot for a couple of days. He will then declare that Pierre has earned the leadoff spot again (which he will not have done), and things will be back to normal. This isn't new.

No, I read the whole thread, thank you very little. You are mad that Viciedo has not been brought up yet to replace Pierre. You've made that abundantly clear and I think most people on this board would like to see that move made as well, sooner rather than later. However, where this thread has been somewhat confusing is the manifestation of outrage over Viciedo not replacing Teahen for the ten days that Teahen will be out. That move makes no sense at all, because unless Pierre is moved, Viciedo is not going to play, so it would be a waste of time for him to be up with the Sox sitting on the bench, when he could be playing every day for Charlotte. That seems pretty crystal clear to me.

As for your prediction about Pierre's return to the lead-off spot, my gut says no, he won't, unless he has legitimately earned it. I think if he continues to scuffle and Tank continues to crush, the move we are all clamoring for will be made in the next couple of weeks. Just a gut feeling on that one, is all.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 17, 2011 -> 03:53 PM)
Still don't see the relationship. Its not like Dallas and Dayan would be sharing a ride up to Chicago or something. The roster moves have no depedency on each other.

There is no need to bring up Dallas in the first place. That's the whole point. Make a move that actually helps your team. Subbing Dallas for Teahen does nothing since he'll be riding bench anyway. Bring up Dayan with the extra roster spot and have him play for Pierre. Why is this so hard for people to understand?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 17, 2011 -> 03:53 PM)

Because we had an open opportunity to get Viciedo onto the major league club today and it would have avoided the awkwardness between Pierre and Ozzie that so obviously is affecting the decision to call him up. We could have called up a player that could directly help the team immediately, but they called up a useless retread.