Jim Caple's ballpark rating of Wrigley

Grebeck Fan Club

Hotdogs are not a 4, they suck

7th inning stretch is not a 5, it's more like -5

Fan knowledge = 2 at best

Fun stuff = 3.5? The tractor races aren't THAT good

Other than that, i'd say it's pretty good

Wrigley field is a great place, the problem is the team playing there and the jackasses in the stands.

Wrigley field is a great place, the problem is the team playing there and the jackasses in the stands.

wrigley field is a minor league park and I hated it when i was a kid and I hate it now - last time I was there in 2000 I was surprized that my memories of hating it were not years of anticubs bais, I really hate the small, cramped, pole infested bad sight line place.

wrigley field is a minor league park and I hated it when i was a kid and I hate it now - last time I was there in 2000 I was surprized that my memories of hating it were not years of anticubs bais, I really hate the small, cramped, pole infested bad sight line place.

The first time I read that, I thought you had something aginst the Polish. :lol:

I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with you there, for sure

that's ok -

I hated that place all my life - I grew up with cubs player families as close friends and while I loved my friends and their families, I really disliked the team and hated wrigley - just always been that way - then I wasn't there for 28 years or whatever and went back and everything I hated about it, still there -

The first time I read that, I thought you had something aginst the Polish. :lol:

I love the Polish!

I am 25% Polish!

it is merely poles at wrigley I hate.

:lol:

However, Poles at wrigley may be relatives so I make no comments on them! :cheers

I was there the other day. I personally think Wrigley Field is awful. To say it was refreshing to not see any advertisments, give me a break. Before the game, the PA would not shut up saying ads for all kinds of companies. The seats suck too. The arm rests are so small. No way two people could sit comfortable next to each other. The between inning tractor and i think the other was bus races sucked. There was two racers and number 1 won the first race and 2 won the second. The jumbo hotdogs for 3 bucks were better than the 2.50 hotdog.

The best part about the game was the guy who was sitting next to me keeping score. He didn't know most of the players on the Cubs or D'Backs. He said hed been following baseball for 30 years, yet I had to explain what a double switch was to him several times during the ninth inning. He then told me that he follows the AL more than the NL. I said me too, then he went and said the AL doesn't have these switches cause of the DH. Honestly, if this guy has been followin baseball 12 more years than I've been alive, I'd atleast expect him to know what position Luis Gonzalaz plays.

I was there the other day. I personally think Wrigley Field is awful. To say it was refreshing to not see any advertisments, give me a break. Before the game, the PA would not shut up saying ads for all kinds of companies. The seats suck too. The arm rests are so small. No way two people could sit comfortable next to each other. The between inning tractor and i think the other was bus races sucked. There was two racers and number 1 won the first race and 2 won the second. The jumbo hotdogs for 3 bucks were better than the 2.50 hotdog.

The best part about the game was the guy who was sitting next to me keeping score. He didn't know most of the players on the Cubs or D'Backs. He said hed been following baseball for 30 years, yet I had to explain what a double switch was to him several times during the ninth inning. He then told me that he follows the AL more than the NL. I said me too, then he went and said the AL doesn't have these switches cause of the DH. Honestly, if this guy has been followin baseball 12 more years than I've been alive, I'd atleast expect him to know what position Luis Gonzalaz plays.

Who gives two craps about races? I say wrigley's are better because there are less of them, and the fans don't care.

that's ok -

I hated that place all my life - I grew up with cubs player families as close friends and while I loved my friends and their families, I really disliked the team and hated wrigley - just always been that way - then I wasn't there for 28 years or whatever and went back and everything I hated about it, still there -

Hate the team, hate the fans, but can't hate that ballpark empty

Sorry, Wrigley lover here. I remember as a kid walking up the ramp into sunshine, seeing the ivy and the players. All good memories. I'm not a big fan of skyboxes, retail stores, hotels etc.

Just thought of something wasn't it in the 60's or early 70's that they added the fence thingy on the outfield wall to keep the bleacher bums from running on the field? Hmmm, could it be that Wrigly has a longer history of such stuff?

Just thought of something wasn't it in the 60's or early 70's that they added the fence thingy on the outfield wall to keep the bleacher bums from running on the field? Hmmm, could it be that Wrigly has a longer history of such stuff?

that was more about throwing stuff on the fields - the things are angled out to catch the trash people were trying to loft on the field -

First, I need to preface this by saying I hate Jim Caple. His columns are not funny, insightful, informative, provocative, etc. And I've been waiting for a time to rip his stadium reviews, but as I've never been to any stadium he's wrote about, I had to wait until he came to Chicago. Now, I will slam him:

Access--4. A 4 out of 5, even though he mentions that parking his limited and expensive, and that one should "not even think about driving to Wrigley." How then, can this possibly rate just 1 point short of the maximum rating? Yes, the el is quick and convenient, but there's a lot of Cubs fans that don't live along the Red Line, and driving access is just as important to a stadium as public transportation is. Access to Wrigley should get no higher than a 2.5 rating, Caple, you drillrod.

Ticket price/availability/location--4. Caple again shows his ability to completely disregard objectivity and logic with this ridiculous assessment. A bleacher seat can go for $24 or $30? An Obs View seat can sell for $40? No more than a 3 there, Jim. And availability is no gimme either, jackass. Any kind of good seat plus the bleachers are VERY difficult to get unless it's an April night game against the Padres ort something. Again, can't rate this higher than a 3, and Receptacle-for-a-Tribune Co.-Bukkake, Jim Caple, gives it one point short of perfect.

Quality of hot dogs--4. I am speechless. Those hot dogs are stale and the buns are soggy. Jim Caple is almost as bad at critiquing hot dogs as he is at being funny.

Signature Concession Item--3. He says the kosher dogs and italian beefs "aren't bad." Well, if the dogs only rate as "not bad," the how the hell does that warrant a 4 on the hot dog scale?!?!?!?!. And you can get italian beefs and hot dogs at every stadium in the country, so how can either of them be a "signature" item? Geez, if this is what Wrigley does to an out-of-town fan, I can understand why the Chicago fans act like Stepford Wives.

Seat Comfort--3.5. The seats at Wrigley are better than average? I need electroshock therapy.

Knowledge of Fans--3.5. Even though he mentions that throwing opposing teams home run balls back on the field is, "the worst tradition in sports," he goes on and gives them a better than average 3.5 rating. Apparently standing up and cheering every time Sammy Sosa flies out to short right-center counts as knowledge to Jim "I am the World's Biggest Douchebag" Caple.

I feel better now, thank you.

I would guess he's probably going to be at the park either this weekend or he already was during the KC series. Since he was just at wrigley, I doubt he's going to leave chicago and come back, so I'd expect we're next.

How he dismisses the obstructed view seats wipes away any credibility he had, in my mind. There is nothing worse than an obstructed view seat, and only the seats withing like 10' of the pole are considered obstructed view. All the others behind are affected but aren't given the label.

The only thing good about Wrigley is seeing Sammy Sosa accidentally run into the ivy covered brick wall in the outfield.