Sox Draft OF Keenyn Walker with #47

Eminor3rd

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...rtnerId=rss_cws

Athletic Walker selected by White Sox at No. 47

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- The target for pick No. 47 overall in Major League Baseball's First-Year Player Draft on Monday night was laid out weeks ago by White Sox director of amateur scouting Doug Laumann and his staff.

Even with this Compensation Round A selection serving as the club's only selection on Day 1, it was tough to identify three or four players to focus upon almost four hours into the selection process. So, the White Sox would start from the Draft strength of college pitching.

That is, unless an impact position player was available.

Enter Keenyn Walker.

"Well, Keenyn is a kid that we've scouted extensively," said Laumann of the selection out of Central Arizona Junior College, a 6-foot-3, 190-pound switch-hitting outfielder, who throws right-handed. "He plays in a competitive junior college program in Arizona.

"He has been very successful. He is a high-ceiling athlete. Unlike some high-ceiling athletes, this kid really has a feel for playing the game."

Walker marks the ninth straight Draft in which a collegiate player has been selected by the White Sox with their first pick. As a 20-year-old sophomore this past season, Walker batted .402 (86-for-214) with 11 doubles, eight triples and four home runs. But the impressive statistics don't stop there.

Try 50 RBIs, 76 runs scored and 65 stolen bases in 68 attempts over 63 games with Central Arizona. The Salt Lake City native was a two-sport athlete at Judge Memorial High School, picking off 11 passes as a senior cornerback on the football team.

Those characteristics sound a bit like Jared Mitchell, the organization's top pick in the 2009 First-Year Player Draft, who played football and baseball at LSU. Mitchell, coming back from a torn tendon in his left ankle that cost him the entire 2010 season of his developmental process, has a .225 average presently for Class A Winston-Salem, with 73 strikeouts in 200 at-bats.

Laumann didn't address the growing pains of Mitchell, who is playing through his first full season of strictly baseball. He did point out that Walker doesn't have the football-type build, comparing his body type and ability more favorably to Carlos Beltran or Devon White.

"Probably the body type is more like a Devon White, with the wiry thin [look], but strength in his frame as well," Laumann said. "He's a plus, plus runner and a good defender, has arm strength and actually showed some pop for a wood bat.

"Like I said, the impressive thing is, if you are just an athlete that doesn't know how to play the game, you won't steal 65 of 68 bases in a high-level JUCO program. There are some instincts to play the game as well."

An original 23rd pick in the first round for the White Sox went to the Nationals as compensation for the Adam Dunn free-agent pickup. That signing left the White Sox without a first-round pick for the only time in their Draft history other than 1978, when they lost their top selection to the Yankees as compensation for signing free agent Ron Blomberg.

Arizona's signing of free agent reliever J.J. Putz gave the White Sox this 47th selection. Where Walker is concerned, they hope the third time is a charm in regard to MLB teams calling his name.

In 2009, Walker was selected in the 16th round by the Cubs, and in 2010, Walker was taken in the 38th round by the Phillies. He did not sign with either team, although Laumann feels confident about his 2011 signability, labeling Walker at about two to 2 1/2 years away from the Majors.

"We had our typical interviews and our scouts got in the house," Laumann said. "I've spoken with the family and we are confident we will have a deal done."

Live coverage of the 2011 First-Year Player Draft resumes at 11 a.m. CT on Tuesday on MLB.com, where fans will receive exclusive coverage of Day 2 and 3, featuring a live pick-by-pick stream, expert commentary and Draft Tracker, a live interactive application that includes a searchable database of every Draft-eligible player. You can also keep up to date at Draft Central and by following @MLBDraft on Twitter. And get into the Draft conversation by tagging your tweets with #mlbdraft.

While the White Sox are thrilled with Walker's combination of athleticism and ability to play the game, look for the team to get some pitching in Tuesday's early rounds.

Chris Sale was the White Sox top pick in the 2010 Draft, coming to the team at No. 13 overall. When Sale was selected, the idea for the White Sox was to get him signed quickly and then get the left-hander to the Majors just as quickly in a relief role.

Sale agreed to terms on June 22 and was with the White Sox by Aug. 4. Walker certainly won't reach the Majors by the end of this season, but Sale advocates a quick signing process as his best advice from one top pick to another.

"Get going, man. Just get going," said Sale, prior to Monday's 3-1 victory over the Mariners. "I mean, that was the one thing I was really focused on, not sitting around and then wait and wait and wait. You aren't getting any better sitting around on the couch. I wanted to do that and it so happened the opportunity was there to get out and start playing.

"Let's not try to put any extra pressure on him or anything like that," added Sale. "I was very fortunate to be in that situation. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. That played a lot with me."

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FutureSox story

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/future-sox...h-1st-pick.html

With their first pick in the 2011 MLB Draft the White Sox selected switch-hitting outfielder Keenyn Walker from Central Arizona JC.

walkerk.jpg

Keenyn Walker

Walker, 6'03", 193 lbs, is a highly athletic outfield prospect who flashes good tools across the board. Speed is Walker's best tool, where he grades out at anywhere between a 65 (Baseball America) and a true 80 (John Sickels, Keith Law), and he stole 65 bases this year against just 3 CS (96% SB%). He has some pop, particularly from the left side, but will likely be more of a doubles/triples threat than a home run hitter.

Walker has decent patience at the plate as he led his team in walks this year with 36 (16.8 BB% (BB/AB)), which, combined with his speed, gives him potential as a top of the order hitter, but in order to reach that potential he will need to watch the strikeouts, which have been a problem for him. Walker struck out 45 times this year (21% K% (SO/AB)), which again led his team.

Defensively, Walker has the range to play center. He shows a solid arm and should prove to be at least an average defender at a premium position, though he does need to work on his route running.

Baseball America had Walker ranked as the #92 prospect in this class, and I'm sure the last thing many were hoping for was another athlete with strikeout issues in the mold of a Jordan Danks, Jared Mitchell or Trayce Thompson, after watching that trio struggle mightily in making consistent contact. But the White Sox stated a few years ago that they wanted to get more athletes into the system and they've certainly done that here.

There's no denying that Keenyn Walker is a premium athlete, but with major question marks over his hitting ability, he'll need to do a lot of work before we can start to think about him patrolling center field in the Cell.

Read more: http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/future-sox...l#ixzz1ObDeNVtr

I will say, regardless of my actual feelings for the pick, that he better develop defensively. Naturally, the predictions/projections to players come from coaches within the system, but White was a .263/.319/.419/.739 and 98 OPS+ player. B-R has him at 4 years with a WAR at or above 5, which makes him among the best players in the league that year. That was, for the most part, predicated upon the fact that he played a great CF and was average to good offensively.

Let's hope he cuts down on the strikeouts!

/not sure if referring to Danks, Flowers, Viciedo, Short, Thompson, or name-a-minor-league

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 09:42 AM)
I will say, regardless of my actual feelings for the pick, that he better develop defensively. Naturally, the predictions/projections to players come from coaches within the system, but White was a .263/.319/.419/.739 and 98 OPS+ player. B-R has him at 4 years with a WAR at or above 5, which makes him among the best players in the league that year. That was, for the most part, predicated upon the fact that he played a great CF and was average to good offensively.

Let's hope he cuts down on the strikeouts!

/not sure if referring to Danks, Flowers, Viciedo, Short, Thompson, or name-a-minor-league

Devon White was a great defensive CF in his day.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 09:47 AM)
Devon White was a great defensive CF in his day.

I miss stuff like that, but I sort of understand it. I think that's the hope of the organization.

Honestly, I don't mind this draft philosophy. Draft athletes who project to CF (or SS, though they haven't done that yet) who can grow into their bodies. If they grow so big and get good enough offensively, you can switch positions. If you draft a 1B at 47 overall, you better know that dude is either going to hit 30 homers a year or is going to rise quickly. Having multiple tools doesn't hurt. Thought I read he had a good arm too.

Seems to me Walker at the moment is a

20/40 Bat

20/35 Power

75/80 Speed

40/80 Field

60/80 Arm

The two that bug me the most are the bat and power. Those, especially the bat, are the most easily coached and able to go above the initial scouting report. If they can develop him into a 50 bat with a decent eye at the plate, then the rest is golden. The stealing will translate over time and the fielding and arm will get better through mere repetition.

Hope and pray that the worst case scenario is Carlos Gomez. At least then, if he's still broadcasting (and alive, quite frankly), Hawk will be able to gush about how big of a Twins kills Keenyn Walker in.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/06/07/whi...s-crazy-upside/

CHICAGO (WSCR) With the 47th overall pick in the MLB First Year Player Draft, the Chicago White Sox took outfielder Keenyn Walker from Central Arizona College, a player who the Cubs drafted out of high school in 2009.

According to Kevin Goldstein, of Baseball Prospectus, the pick broke a recent trend of safe, “boring” picks for the White Sox.

“This kid the White Sox drafted, is there risk there? Sure, he could completely flounder in the minors and we’ll never hear from him again, but he’s also got crazy upside,” Goldstein said on the Mully and Hanley Show. “I mean this is the kind of guy where, when the Central Arizona Junior College bus showed up, and he got off the bus, you went ‘yeah, I’ll take that kid, he looks pretty good.’ I mean, this is an athletic outfielder with power, with speed. [He] made a lot of progress this year. He was always seen as a very raw prospect. A guy with a ton of swing-and-miss in his game, but when he hit a ball, it went a pretty long way. [He's a] Good center fielder.

“And he stopped swinging and missing so much this year, so he made a whole heck of a lot more contact. Made good progress defensively, with his instincts and his routes. There’s a chance that this guy could be a steal at No. 47, but there is risk just becuase of how kind of behind the curve he is, where he’s a little behind most players his age, as far as how refined he is. So it’s going to take some patience, but the potential reward is there.”

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/future-sox...cond-round.html

Following yesterday's selection of Keenyn Walker, the White Sox predictably went after a college arm in the second round. Erik Johnson, a RHP out of Cal, goes to the Sox in the second round.

Johnson, 20, was selected at 80 overall and is ranked as the 97th best prospect in the draft by Baseball America.

On the MLB.com live stream of the draft Jonathan Mayo said he is a workhorse type arm that should move quickly through the system, but doesn't have overpowering stuff. He has four pitches.

Erik Johnson

Johnson comes in at 6-2, 240 pounds and according to BA has a low 90s fastball, a good slider a show-me curve and an inconsistent change. The scouting report questions his mechanics, saying he sometimes loses his arm slot.

The right-hander went 6-4 as a junior this year with a 2.91 ERA in 96 innings (16 starts). He struck out 96 and walked 50 while allowing 63 hits (3 HR). Just from those numbers it's clear that control is something Johnson needs to refine. If the Sox can get him to repeat his delivery, he could end up being a solid pick.

Cal just won a regional this weekend, which means you can follow Johnson in next weekend's Super Regional play. The Cal Bears will take on Dallas Baptist. Johnson pitched twice in regional play, both starts against Baylor, and he got roughed up both times. In the opener Friday he gave up five runs in 2.1 innings, walking six with just one strikeout. In the final yesterday he pitched on a short rest and gave up five runs in three innings with four strikeouts and three walks.

Earlier in his college career Johnson put up similar numbers. As a freshman: 67.1 IP (19 games, 9 starts), 4.41 ERA, 55 K, 28 BB, 71 H. As a sophomore: 77 IP (16 games, 13 starts), 4.09 ERA, 73 K, 34 BB, 85 H.

In our draft preview for pitchers, Johnson fit the mold of a possible pick and here's what Jeff said about him: "Fastball sits low-90's topping out at 95. Mixes it with a knockout slider and inconsistent curve/change, though the change flashes good potential."

Read more: http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/future-sox...l#ixzz1ObxtFor1

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/future-sox...hird-round.html

White Sox Take RHP Jeff Soptic in Third Round

user-pic

Dan Santaromita on 06.07.11 at 12:15 PM | no comments |

At pick 110 the White Sox took another college arm, this time JuCo right-hander Jeff Soptic. At 6-6, 210 he joins a growing number of big pitchers drafted by the Sox. He is a hard thrower that profiles out of the bullpen and has a commitment to pitch at Mizzou.

Soptic's best asset is his velocity. His fastball sits in the mid 90s and can touch the high 90s. Baseball America, who rates him fittingly enough at 110 in the draft, says he is able to maintain the velocity but his fastball is straight. He has an inconsistent slider and a below average change, thus him profiling as a reliever.

According to this article from his Kansas JuCo, he hit triple digits this year. He was used mostly as a starter this year, pitching 56 innings in 10 starts and five relief appearances. He posted a 3.50 ERA with 58 K, 31 BB and 41 hits allowed (5 HR).

As a freshman he made 14 starts and one relief appearance. In 42.2 IP he struck out 48, walked 41 and gave up 51 hits for a 4.10 ERA. It's good to see he improved on his control this year versus last year.

Soptic, 20, was drafted by the Royals in the 43rd round out of high school.

Read more: http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/future-sox...l#ixzz1Oc2lcLjP