Watches

whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 08:24 AM)
I've been told that watch use amongst the younger generation is declining rapidly on account of the fact that everyone's cell phone has an accurate clock on it.

I haven't owned a watch for at least 10 years, mostly for that reason.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 10:08 AM)
I hate having to pull out my phone to check the time

This, not to mention, wearing a nice watch has little to do with needing to know the time. It's no different than a gold necklace, or an engagement ring, etc...it's an accessory that's actually useful (unlike the others I mentioned), that can be passed down from father to son, etc...especially if it's nice, and taken care of.

My Rolex has never been broken, and I've had it for more than 5 years, and it looks new, despite the fact that I never take it off, including during two week long camping trips to the boundary waters, swimming in oceans, working every day, and any other activities, etc...

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 10:19 AM)
This, not to mention, wearing a nice watch has little to do with needing to know the time. It's no different than a gold necklace, or an engagement ring, etc...it's an accessory that's actually useful (unlike the others I mentioned), that can be passed down from father to son, etc...especially if it's nice, and taken care of.

My Rolex has never been broken, and I've had it for more than 5 years, and it looks new, despite the fact that I never take it off, including during two week long camping trips to the boundary waters, swimming in oceans, working every day, and any other activities, etc...

Honestly I hate wearing jewelry. The only thing I wear is my wedding ring. Rings, necklaces, watches etc, always feel awkward and unnatural on my.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 10:25 AM)
Honestly I hate wearing jewelry. The only thing I wear is my wedding ring. Rings, necklaces, watches etc, always feel awkward and unnatural on my.

I don't wear my wedding ring, never have.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 10:28 AM)
I don't wear my wedding ring, never have.

If I ever get married, I doubt I will wear my ring. I hate rings and necklaces and am just annoyed by watches. Count me in the jewelry is awkward group.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 04:11 PM)
If I ever get married, I doubt I will wear my ring. I hate rings and necklaces and am just annoyed by watches. Count me in the jewelry is awkward group.

I really only find rings awkward...so I don't wear them.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 08:50 PM)
Have fun telling your wife that.

It's all about setting early expectations. If you wear it for a year after you get married and suddenly take it off, she probably has every right to question it...but if you tell her from the start that wearing rings makes you feel uncomfortable, you probably have a much better shot at selling it.

I don't like wearing them because it gets in my way when typing and working on computers, so I've never worn it on a daily basis. I wear it when we got out nice places, etc. and shes ok with that.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 10:28 PM)
I just feel like most wives would vehemently disagree with you, regardless of your reasoning.

Also, I don't wear one, but unless it's gawdy, how does it affect typing? It's close to your palm, not the tip of your finger.

Because it's between your fingers and a hinderance?

Watches impact typing for me, the wedding ring doesn't. But thats me.

Either way, the first month or two with the ring was so weird, given that I have never worn jewlery (except the ocassional watch). I take my ring off when I play sports though.

Until I moved to Singapore I never really saw the appeal of a really nice watch. But I think seeing folks with nice watches everywhere here has sucked me in, since I just bit the bullet and put one on order myself.

I'm justifying it to myself by saying it'll be something I can pass on and that I'm getting a good deal on it (ordered in the US for 1.2k cheaper than Singapore), but in reality I know I'm just buckling to my surroundings.

I went with an Explorer I, which looks like this: Explorer

But if money were no object, I'd definitely get a daytona: Daytona

And if money REALLY wasn't an object I'd get one of the following (probably the nautilus):

Nautilus

AP

IWC

I had a boss who once told me to buy something nice for yourself anytime you get a bonus. One, because it'll serve as a reminder for what hard work can bring you. Two, because you never know what the future holds, so might as well enjoy it now. Yeah, I know I keep justifying.....but think it's good advice.

Curious to know what you end up deciding on (if you haven't already).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 10:41 AM)
Ditto.

Thirded.

Even before I carried a cell phone at all times, I never wore a watch. I do understand why people would want a fancy one for the look though if they're a jewelery person.

QUOTE (SnB @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 03:16 PM)
My wife got me a fossil for Christmas. I only wear it for fancier occasions, otherwise it just feels awkward.

Really? What species? How old is it? What's the carbon isotope signature?

(The scary thing is...that's exactly what my brain did the first time I read this post).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 02:30 PM)

(The scary thing is...that's exactly what my brain did the first time I read this post).

[que someone stealing Balta's lunch money in his childhood]

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 02:30 PM)

You are a sick man.

Sick.

Sick.

SICK.