2011-2012 NHL Thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 01:57 PM)
Here is the video: http://bit.ly/HQGGy8. So if Smith had been injured, what would the suspension have been, 7 playoff games? That's like 15-20 regular season games, WTF?

Krush, you were right about the fact that it was a goalie mattering so much, Shanahan is making it sound like a QB in the NFL.

Yup. I thought he might get some sort of suspension, though there isn't a lot of similar plays to this with a goalie. Goalies are the furthest thing from fair game out of the crease, it's even worse than QBs. Which is fine, if you want to have goalies being able to be hit, go play a video game. The onus is on the player, plain and simple. And Shaw caused the contact, shoulder to head, there's zero denying that.

Shoulder to goalie's head behind the net = not good. All of the "acting", injury concerns, etc, could play into it, but when you get down to it, again, a skater running into a goalie, especially his head, is going to get you in trouble.

If that happened to Crawford, I'd hope he would act like he got shot, too, and try to parlay it into something worse. I can't blame Smith just because he's wearing a Coyote logo.

Is 3 games fair? I don't know, I thought he'd get 1-2. . And yeah Phoenix can f*** off for playing games, they are just being stupid on top of it. But that doesn't matter all that much to me.

But, looking at it objectively, if this happened to Crawford, people would be going nuts calling for a series suspension for say, Torres, for making initial contact with the head behind the net.

Edited by IlliniKrush

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 01:58 PM)
Darren Dreger ‏ @DarrenDreger

Mike Smith is uninjured and will play tonight. Had he been hurt...Shaw would have been suspended rest of series. #TSN

Depending on length of injury, it's hard to argue with this. Smith out for any significant period of time, even a game or two = series over. One guy getting suspended for the rest of the series hardly makes up for that.

I think Shaw is paying the penalty for Lucic's hit on Ryan Miller earlier this year.

Now that the playoffs have gotten out of control, I just hope Shanahan stays consistent from now on. Arron Asham better get at least 3 games, if not more. I know he didn't touch a goalie, but he tried to decapitate Schenn via cross-check, then pummelled him in the head while laying on the ice.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 02:22 PM)
I think Shaw is paying the penalty for Lucic's hit on Ryan Miller earlier this year.

Now that the playoffs have gotten out of control, I just hope Shanahan stays consistent from now on. Arron Asham better get at least 3 games, if not more. I know he didn't touch a goalie, but he tried to decapitate Schenn via cross-check, then pummelled him in the head while laying on the ice.

This is the whole problem. You have a guy actively trying to hurt someone getting a $2500 fine, and then this. It makes no sense. If you want to be tough, be tough. Don't pick and choose.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 02:24 PM)
This is the whole problem. You have a guy actively trying to hurt someone getting a $2500 fine, and then this. It makes no sense. If you want to be tough, be tough. Don't pick and choose.

The fact thats its a rookie and not someone like Weber is obviously part of that decision making process. If Toews did the same thing to Smith I would think it would be a fine or at most a 1 game suspension.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 02:24 PM)

That's why I said from now on. The Weber hit is history now, and that was before the playoffs spiraled into mayhem. If he becomes stricter now and lays his foot down with the Pens/Flyers series like he should, then I will be more understanding. But if Asham gets one game like Carkner (sp) did for pummeling a defenseless player, then he's just continuing the joke.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 02:28 PM)
It would be easy fodder for the conspiritalists to think that this is an effort to try to save hockey in Phoenix.

Well the league DOES own them....

And I wonder if the NHL is going to penalize PHX for not taking Smith to the concussion room after that "blow to the head." Pretty sure thats mandatory.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 02:28 PM)
It would be easy fodder for the conspiritalists to think that this is an effort to try to save hockey in Phoenix.

With the way the puck bounces all over that surface, the sooner the NHL leaves that arena the better. I can't wait for the Hawks to be able to make crisp passes tonight and show off their elite talent.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 02:32 PM)
With the way the puck bounces all over that surface, the sooner the NHL leaves that arena the better. I can't wait for the Hawks to be able to make crisp passes tonight and show off their elite talent.

There really doesnt need to be any pro franchises in Phoenix. They get zero consistent support. I bet the Bears would out draw the cardinals there.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 02:30 PM)
That's why I said from now on. The Weber hit is history now, and that was before the playoffs spiraled into mayhem. If he becomes stricter now and lays his foot down with the Pens/Flyers series like he should, then I will be more understanding. But if Asham gets one game like Carkner (sp) did for pummeling a defenseless player, then he's just continuing the joke.

The run up to the playoffs saw the same kind of brawling and hits. This isn't a surprise.

BS suspension by B.S. Shaw. There were more dirty actions done by other players that did not get any suspension. Its good to protect players but you have to be consistent. Besides Smith flopped around, appeared really hurt but as soon as the penalty was given, he felt really good to finish the whole game.

Edited by bulokis

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 02:14 PM)
Yup. I thought he might get some sort of suspension, though there isn't a lot of similar plays to this with a goalie. Goalies are the furthest thing from fair game out of the crease, it's even worse than QBs. Which is fine, if you want to have goalies being able to be hit, go play a video game. The onus is on the player, plain and simple. And Shaw caused the contact, shoulder to head, there's zero denying that.

Shoulder to goalie's head behind the net = not good. All of the "acting", injury concerns, etc, could play into it, but when you get down to it, again, a skater running into a goalie, especially his head, is going to get you in trouble.

If that happened to Crawford, I'd hope he would act like he got shot, too, and try to parlay it into something worse. I can't blame Smith just because he's wearing a Coyote logo.

Is 3 games fair? I don't know, I thought he'd get 1-2. . And yeah Phoenix can f*** off for playing games, they are just being stupid on top of it. But that doesn't matter all that much to me.

But, looking at it objectively, if this happened to Crawford, people would be going nuts calling for a series suspension for say, Torres, for making initial contact with the head behind the net.

Then tell Mike Smith to go f*** off and stop coming out of the crease to check guys, and tell the NHL they owe us a power play and a goal.

QUOTE (bulokis @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 02:58 PM)
BS suspension by B.S. Shaw. There were more dirty actions done by other players that did not get any suspension. Its good to protect players but you have to be consistent. Besides Smith flopped around, appeared really hurt but as soon as the penalty was given, he felt really good to finish the whole game.

I think he is using his hatred for the Hawks during the old Norris Division, to make bias decisions he should resign today! You can bet your ass Smith plays!

Edited by Soxfest

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nhl/story/_/id/...otes-mike-smith

CHICAGO -- Blackhawks center Andrew Shaw was suspended three games for his hit on Phoenix Coyotes goaltender Mike Smith in Game 2 of their Western Conference quarterfinals.

Smith was playing the puck behind the net when Shaw barreled into him in the second period. Smith lay motionless on the ice for several minutes, but finished the game.

Shaw was assessed a five-minute major and game misconduct.

"The contact Shaw makes with Smith is not incidental," NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan said. "Rather, it is a forceful blow delivered by Shaw's shoulder to Smith's chin. Also, in our opinion, Shaw does not make a reasonable effort to avoid such contact."

A source familiar with the situation told ESPNChicago.com's Jesse Rogers that the severity of the suspension was due to a goalie being involved. General manager have asked the league to crack down on incidents involving goaltenders.

The timing of Shaw's hit also played a role, according to another source familiar with the situation. The league has been receiving criticism since Nashville's Shea Weber slammed Detroit's Henrik Zetterberg's head into the boards at the end of Game 1 of their playoff series. Weber was fined but not suspended and the overwhelming response outside of Nashville was outrage.

The light punishment on Weber contributed to Shaw being made an example of, especially considering the victim of the hit was a goalie, according to the source. The league felt it could not let Shaw off with a fine, sending a poor message for the rest of the playoffs.

The series is tied at a game apiece, with Game 3 Tuesday at United Center.

Smith, who didn't practice Monday but participated in the team skate Tuesday morning, is a game-time decision.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 03:14 PM)

Well, obviously. Torres is a repeat offender and a known s*** head. Andrew Shaw, is not. Terrible example.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 03:13 PM)
Then tell Mike Smith to go f*** off and stop coming out of the crease to check guys, and tell the NHL they owe us a power play and a goal.

Well, let's be honest. That's not how the game is played. The contact with Toews was so accidental and part of the action that yes, that penalty was BS, but regardless of intent, Shaw absolutely went beyond the rules.