Golfing Thread

It's early, but Scott playing well is bad for the rest of the field. And Couples, doesn't he always seem to play really well the first few rounds at The Masters? I feel like the last 3-4 years he's been "in" it on the weekend.

edit: yeah, he's finished 6th, 15th, 12th and 13th the last four years. Not bad for an "old" dude.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 01:21 PM)
Well, Phil is seeing lots of sand and trees today, and seems to be ticketed for a Friday night flight home.

I find it really annoying that the media continues to cover him like he's an actual threat these days. He's been hurt and basically had no chance this week. Even this morning on Sportscenter they were talking about his chances. I get they do it because non-golf fans know who Mickelson is and may tune in because of it, but it's annoying when young guys with actual talent and a chance don't get the coverage they deserve. That's the awesome thing about golf these days. We're over the Tiger Woods era where a single guy dominated the sport for a decade. Now we're beginning a chapter where 10 guys in their 20's are really, really good, and 5-10 guys in their early 30's are really good. Let's promote that instead of boring everyone talking about how Tiger isn't there. f*** that. The tournament is still great without him.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 02:05 PM)
I find it really annoying that the media continues to cover him like he's an actual threat these days. He's been hurt and basically had no chance this week. Even this morning on Sportscenter they were talking about his chances. I get they do it because non-golf fans know who Mickelson is and may tune in because of it, but it's annoying when young guys with actual talent and a chance don't get the coverage they deserve. That's the awesome thing about golf these days. We're over the Tiger Woods era where a single guy dominated the sport for a decade. Now we're beginning a chapter where 10 guys in their 20's are really, really good, and 5-10 guys in their early 30's are really good. Let's promote that instead of boring everyone talking about how Tiger isn't there. f*** that. The tournament is still great without him.

I 100% agree, I hate the coverage he gets, but the Open from last year added a few years to that.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 11:18 AM)
I personally don't give a s*** about an athlete's politics, unless he is shoving them in my face all the time.

When it comes to team sports, I don't give a s*** either. I'll root for any guy in a Sox uniform, even if I don't like him. But with individual sports where I have no specific rooting interest, it's more about the player so I usually find random reasons why I do or don't root for someone

• 3 weeks later...

Played The Challenge @ Manele today twice...only 20 people on the entire course...it was seriously golf heaven on earth...and the wife rode along in the cart to take pictures so I didn't have to worry about that.

Definitely amongst the top 4 courses I've ever played.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 1, 2014 -> 09:47 PM)
Played The Challenge @ Manele today twice...only 20 people on the entire course...it was seriously golf heaven on earth...and the wife rode along in the cart to take pictures so I didn't have to worry about that.

Definitely amongst the top 4 courses I've ever played.

Which is a good question anyway. What's everyone's top 4 courses you've actually played?

Mine:

Doral

Torrey Pines

Medina

Whistling straits

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 1, 2014 -> 10:13 PM)
Which is a good question anyway. What's everyone's top 4 courses you've actually played?

Mine:

Doral

Torrey Pines

Medina

Whistling straits

The Challenge at Manele

Torrey Pines

TPC at the Woodlands

Butler National GC

• 2 weeks later...

So yesterday the wife and I were in a Target and I had some old gift cards with me, so I was looking in the electronics and sporting goods area for something fun to waste them on...came across a Callaway tent net for $80 and pulled the trigger. Sets up just like a basic tent, with a hang down target with netting behind it. The wife wants to get into golf and it's always been an activity I love, so I figured it would be a good way for us to practice hitting all of our clubs in the yard without having to head to the range if we don't want to.

Then stopped at Golf Galaxy in search of a set of used clubs for her. They did not have any used sets, but the salesman recommended maybe getting her a driver first, just because it is the biggest club (and perhaps the easiest) for her to hit. While I felt maybe something like a 7-iron would be a better idea for her, they had a Taylor Made Rocketballz driver for about $100, so I figured what the heck. I was in the market as well, since I have been playing a set of Callaway Big Bertha Warbirds for the better part of 20 years now, and I wanted to check out the new Taylor Made sldr and see what all the fuss is about. Turned off by the price tag, I was looking for maybe a last year's model of something on sale. Settled on the Nike Covert 2.0 Tour Driver for $250. Hit both this and the sldr and the Nike driver went 20-25 yards further according to the simulator, and more importantly, it went dead straight.

Both of us hit balls into the net yesterday afternoon and had a great time. She's been to the range a few times before, but never really made an effort to take the game seriously at all. She wasn't bad...hit the ball solidly fairly consistently.

Going to look for some lessons for both of us because I have learned from trying to teach her to drive a manual transmission that I am not a good teacher for her of anything. I think she will take lessons from a stranger and a professional much better than if I try to monkey with her swing too much.

Edit: Actually, it is the original Covert I got, not the Covert 2.0...the 2.0 was 4 bills.

Edited by iamshack

Isn't the purpose of the SLDR though that it can be easily adjusted per your natural swing path?

Good luck with the Nikes, I haven't heard too much good things on them but I think that's due to how poorly their first generation of clubs were received.

I bought some demo'd callaways last year (razrs) and have loved them.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 12, 2014 -> 12:24 PM)
So yesterday the wife and I were in a Target and I had some old gift cards with me, so I was looking in the electronics and sporting goods area for something fun to waste them on...came across a Callaway tent net for $80 and pulled the trigger. Sets up just like a basic tent, with a hang down target with netting behind it. The wife wants to get into golf and it's always been an activity I love, so I figured it would be a good way for us to practice hitting all of our clubs in the yard without having to head to the range if we don't want to.

Then stopped at Golf Galaxy in search of a set of used clubs for her. They did not have any used sets, but the salesman recommended maybe getting her a driver first, just because it is the biggest club (and perhaps the easiest) for her to hit. While I felt maybe something like a 7-iron would be a better idea for her, they had a Taylor Made Rocketballz driver for about $100, so I figured what the heck. I was in the market as well, since I have been playing a set of Callaway Big Bertha Warbirds for the better part of 20 years now, and I wanted to check out the new Taylor Made sldr and see what all the fuss is about. Turned off by the price tag, I was looking for maybe a last year's model of something on sale. Settled on the Nike Covert 2.0 Tour Driver for $250. Hit both this and the sldr and the Nike driver went 20-25 yards further according to the simulator, and more importantly, it went dead straight.

Both of us hit balls into the net yesterday afternoon and had a great time. She's been to the range a few times before, but never really made an effort to take the game seriously at all. She wasn't bad...hit the ball solidly fairly consistently.

Going to look for some lessons for both of us because I have learned from trying to teach her to drive a manual transmission that I am not a good teacher for her of anything. I think she will take lessons from a stranger and a professional much better than if I try to monkey with her swing too much.

Edit: Actually, it is the original Covert I got, not the Covert 2.0...the 2.0 was 4 bills.

I'm a pretty big believer in equipment, especially drivers, having nothing to do with the actual results of a swing. People trade in and trade up too often based on certain features fixing their flawed swing IMO.

\Not saying thats you, but it made me think about it. I've seen too many white drivers on the course with guys who shouldnt be spending more than 20 bucks on equipment and taking the rest to spend everyday on the range.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 12, 2014 -> 02:24 PM)
I'm a pretty big believer in equipment, especially drivers, having nothing to do with the actual results of a swing. People trade in and trade up too often based on certain features fixing their flawed swing IMO.

\Not saying thats you, but it made me think about it. I've seen too many white drivers on the course with guys who shouldnt be spending more than 20 bucks on equipment and taking the rest to spend everyday on the range.

This is where I'm at. I have a Wilson starter set, and it's enough for me. I am not good enough to where the equipment is keeping me down, it's my swing. Once I feel I'm "good enough," I'll invest in better equipment. You could give me the best, most expensive, custom-made clubs on the planet right now and I'd probably only shoot marginally better, if at all.

An easy comparison for me is a hockey stick. If I got out there with a $30 wood stick, it's effecting my performance. If I have the $150 one piece, I'm good enough that I can actually take advantage of the technology. But the guy who plays pond hockey a few times a year, or in a low men's league? They are wasting their money buying a one piece for that much.