Which players will be traded before Sunday at 4 pm

caulfield12

Which players would you trade if you were KW?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you deal before the deadline?

• Carlos Quentin
    • Dayan Viciedo
    • John Danks
    • Gavin Floyd
    • Matty Thornton
    • Jason Frasor
    • Mark Buehrle
    • Jesse Crain
    • W. Ohman
    • NOBODY, keep things as they are

If you could get major league ready players, I still think you deal Carlos Quentin. Including for B. Beachy.

Dealing Matt Thornton also makes a lot of sense if 1) you want to put Sale in Thornton's role and don't view him as a starter 2) you want to save money for 2012 and 3) You have Beachy/Stewart for the back end of the rotation, along with a wild card in Hector Santiago.

If you keep Buehrle, that means you can still argue that you can compete for the division, but probably not losing 2/3 (Buehrle/Floyd/Danks).

ALL IN 2012 means you keep Quentin, Thornton, Buehrle and Danks. Can the White Sox actually afford to do this, especially in light of today's very disappointing Friday night attendance against one of the top draws in the game, on a beautiful night, with the popular fireworks, etc.?

Unless the Braves look at what the Giants and Phillies have done and say to themselves "WE HAVE TO MAKE A MOVE!", I don't see anything happening. This is absolutely no credit to the White Sox as a whole. But this division is f***ing awful. May as well go for it and if you come up short, shop EVERYBODY. f*** '12.

I should have added Alex Rios to the list but that one's more of a pipe dream.

You'd have to package him with 2 other highly desirable players, and doing that will weaken the team too much to compete down the stretch in 2011.

Offseason, you see what you can do or just go with him again as the starter for 2012 and hope he can get hot again so you can deal him and not have to send $20-25 million to another organization.

I'm still in sell mode since I think the Tigers will get a pitcher and win the division.

If I was bowled over, I'd be willing to trade Quentin, Thornton, Floyd, and Danks.

What I think will happen now--they'll stand pat, or a very minor deal.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 09:43 PM)
Thorton. Age and contract and bullpen already good means dealing from strength.

That's the key. I don't see anybody trading for just Thornton due to the money he'll be making starting next year. Especially with Bell still out there. I see Heath Bell getting traded. Maybe Upton. Other than that, I don't expect much. The supply just isn't there this year.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 09:49 PM)
I'm not sure they're actually ready to deal Turner for Ubaldo Jimenez though.

It will be interesting to see who they do end up with. Seems like Kuroda wants to stay in the NL. Someone along the lines of a Jeremy Guthrie.

If the Tigers get Ubaldo then I'm done with the sport of baseball. Or at least I would call for some kinda independent investigation. Their farm sucks.

The truth is they don't NEED to trade anyone now. The only one that they will lose to FA is Pierre and he wouldn't bring much any way.

Since, it's possible that the division is so bad that with just the Sox pitching well they may win it or come close enough down to the last week. They might as well keep course.

They can always trade Quentin, Thornton and the rest after the season.

I still think KW did a nice job in the Jackson/Teahen deal. And, I've ripped on KW more than anyone. That was a smart move that really helped the team's financial picture and solidified what might now be the best pen in the game.

At this point the pitching gives the Sox a decent chance - as tonight proved. If this offense can't be better than this than they're pathetic. Not much they can do at this point.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 03:47 AM)
I'm still in sell mode since I think the Tigers will get a pitcher and win the division.

If I was bowled over, I'd be willing to trade Quentin, Thornton, Floyd, and Danks.

What I think will happen now--they'll stand pat, or a very minor deal.

I don't know about trading both Floyd and Danks. You can go from a mediocre .500 team to a really really bad team in a hurry if suddenly you give up too much starting pitching.

I realize Sox need to save money and all that, but do the Sox want to be a .400 team next year?

Depends on what the Padres do with all their relievers.

Frasor/Crain/Thornton could be highly-desired commodities the next two days.

And we have to resolve the Buehrle and Danks situations before 2012 as well. What happens with Mark will affect the 2012 plan pretty dramatically.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 10:06 PM)
I don't know about trading both Floyd and Danks. You can go from a mediocre .500 team to a really really bad team in a hurry if suddenly you give up too much starting pitching.

I realize Sox need to save money and all that, but do the Sox want to be a .400 team next year?

True, but they'll probably re-sign Buehrle, and still have Humber and Peavy. Then Sale and Stewart will be in the mix.

Yeah, now that I'm looking at it, might want to keep Danks as long as possible. It would have to be a huge haul to trade away Danks.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 08:10 PM)
Depends on what the Padres do with all their relievers.

Frasor/Crain/Thornton could be highly-desired commodities the next two days.

And we have to resolve the Buehrle and Danks situations before 2012 as well. What happens with Mark will affect the 2012 plan pretty dramatically.

Ohman , too.

The problem is that there's just no way that John Danks is worth $80-90 million over 5 years to the White Sox.

To about 5-7 other organizations in baseball, arguably yes.

If that's the asking price, I'm probably holding onto him until this offseason and then getting the best possible return, unless you're bowled over in the next 2 days.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 03:16 AM)
The problem is that there's just no way that John Danks is worth $80-90 million over 5 years to the White Sox.

To about 5-7 other organizations in baseball, arguably yes.

If that's the asking price, I'm probably holding onto him until this offseason and then getting the best possible return, unless you're bowled over in the next 2 days.

How many teams are willing to pay 14 million a year over five years for a pitcher nowadays?

Baseball needs to change its salary structure rules.

The Peavy deal again is proof you can't give pitchers that kind of loot.

If Danks is going to get that kind of money, you are right ... bye bye. It is nice tho to have some starters who can go deep in games. It's going to be an rude awakening for us fans when we have hacks starting for us again.

Well, this team NEEDS to add at least either a third baseman or center fielder with some sort of offensive output to even think about being a serious contender. Also, Dayan needs to come up and start playing 75% of the time (Rios finally got shown the bench, now its time for Dunn).

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 03:20 AM)
Well, this team NEEDS to add at least either a third baseman or center fielder with some sort of offensive output to even think about being a serious contender. Also, Dayan needs to come up and start playing 75% of the time (Rios finally got shown the bench, now its time for Dunn).

You and I agree.

We have the pitching it seems.

Now all we need to do is bench Dunn for Dayan and acquire a 3B or a 2B who can hit the f***ing ball and we'd be OK.

If DeAza can't cut it (I loved his clutch home run) than we sub Danks for him.

Danks won't get any significant at-bats this season.

We'd go with Lillibridge or a veteran waiver claim before doing that.

They're stuck in a position where they can't quite give up on Morel....but they do need a veteran 3B to rent who could play every game from here on out.

And Danks has "only" averaged what, 6 1/3rd or 6 2/3rd IP per game? He's had a lot of the same issues as Jackson and Floyd going late in games. Heck, all of our starters seemingly have struggled to get through innings 6 and 7 except for Buehrle.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 10:12 PM)
True, but they'll probably re-sign Buehrle, and still have Humber and Peavy. Then Sale and Stewart will be in the mix.

Yeah, now that I'm looking at it, might want to keep Danks as long as possible. It would have to be a huge haul to trade away Danks.

We want to keep Danks, but if he isn't willing to resign, you can't let him walk for draft picks.