Which players will be traded before Sunday at 4 pm

caulfield12

Which players would you trade if you were KW?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you deal before the deadline?

• Carlos Quentin
    • Dayan Viciedo
    • John Danks
    • Gavin Floyd
    • Matty Thornton
    • Jason Frasor
    • Mark Buehrle
    • Jesse Crain
    • W. Ohman
    • NOBODY, keep things as they are

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 11:34 PM)
Michael Morse says, "hi!"

Joking.

It would be pretty nice to have him playing 3B for us about now, if he could actually play that position better than Teahen/Viciedo. Possibly.

It only took him 7 years to get there.

Yankees looking for lefty relievers

By Mark J. Miller

New York Yankees reliever Rafael Soriano(notes) has been on the disabled list since May 14 with a sore right elbow. Even though he's finally expected to be back in the bullpen Friday night, the team is putting some effort into finding some relievers before Sunday afternoon's non-waiver trade deadline to help in the stretch run, according to the New York Post.

"I'm out there listening to everything, seeing what's available and seeing if it fits for us," general manager Brian Cashman said, the Post reports.

Since lefty Pedro Feliciano(notes) is likely out for the season and Damaso Marte(notes) is not returning anytime soon, the Yankees "are looking at lefties," the Post notes.

"As long as I keep the late-inning role, I'd love to have another lefty down there," the bullpen's sole lefty, Boone Logan(notes), told the paper.

Argues it's better to commit to pay Quentin $10+ million (through 2012) than Pence $22+ million (through 2013)...good insight/s from ATL Journal Constitution baseball writer

Or maybe they trade Schafer as part of the package for a Bourn/Upton...there is one possibility where we could jam Rios down their throats, but lose the return for CQ completely, getting Schafer in return for Rios/Quentin + some salary relief

Bottom line, they (the Braves) need a shortstop next year. They might need a third baseman or left fielder. They might know more about center field by seasons’s end, after more evaluation of Schafer, unless they’ve already made up their minds one way or another.

There has been a bidding war for Pence between at least a handful of teams including the Braves and rival Phillies.

If it was me making the call, I’d probably give up Minor or Delgado to get Quentin, just because he’s a serious slugger and is not going to make as much as Pence in 2011 (Quentin might get about $8 mill in arbitration, then be a free agent). He’s not much with the glove, not nearly as good as Pence, but for me he’s much more a game-changing presence in the lineup.)

Quentin has a .353 OBP, .510 slugging percentage, 20 homers and 62 RBIs in 400 plate appearances, while Pence has a .354 OBP, .467 slugging percentage, 11 homers and 62 RBIs in 394 plate appearances.

Since the White Sox play in what most consider a hitter-friendly ballpark, and the Astros play in what is definitely a major hitter-friendly ballpark, it’s useful to compare the road stats for both players.

I was surprised to see that Quentin actually has better numbers on the road than at home. He’s hit .289 with 14 HRs and 43 RBIs in 51 road games, with a .371 OBP and .588 slugging (.959). At home, he’s hit .275/.332/.419.

Pence has hit .286 with seven homers and 27 RBI in 47 road games, with a .323 OBP and .444 slugging percentage (.767 OPS). At home, he's hit .330/.384/.498.

And since the Braves began this pursuit in order to find a right-handed bat to boost an offense that’s been the league's worst against lefties, let's compare Quentin and Pence vs. lefties.

Quentin has hit .275 (22-for-80) with six homers, a .388 OPB and .525 slugging percentage against lefties. Pence has hit .281 (27-for-96) with two homers, .333 OBP and .448 slugging against lefties.

As for recent performance, for what it's worth: In Pence's past 21 games, he’s 19-for-76 (.250) with five extra-base hits (one homer), 5 RBIs and a .321 OBP and .355 slugging.

In Quentin’s past 45 games, he's hit hit .274 (45-for-164) with 10 doubles, eight homers, 30 RBIs and a .363 on-base percentage and .482 slugging.

In his past 11 games, Quentin is 15-for-44 (.341) with three homers and 11 RBIs.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blog/2...nta_braves_blog

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 03:13 PM)
So nothing.

Gotta pretend they're still in it.

After all, 14 years later people still talk about the White Flag trade even though that team had no chance of winning the division just like this one.

8.5 weeks to go.

Yep, going to keep this .500 type team in place and hope Detroit comes falls to them like the Indians are.

Yeah, the Tigers solidified their chances with Fister and Pauley.

Porcello had a real good July if anyone noticed.

Verlander is an ace. Scherzer, Penny, Porcello, and Fister will be good enough.

They'll get to at least 87 wins (probably higher), and nobody else in the division will get there.

QUOTE (Mattchoo @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 04:15 PM)
the sox organization is frustrating me. almost wish i could give up being a fan

Tough times. Hang in there.

There seems to be an unwarranted resistance to change throughout the org, and too much comfort all around. I share your frustration, but a positive turnaround could be quicker than we anticipate.