Changes Looming If No Postseason

Marty34

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 01:50 PM)
I know what you mean, but I do not think he could actually perform that well over 3 years to negate what has been one of the worst seasons of individual play in the history of the game.

He'd have to hit 50 HR's a year the next 3 yrs to justify it after this year, IMHO

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 01:53 PM)
I've been saying that for a long time. I'm glad others feel the same way.

Short of a World Series title I'm with you on this one. Hell even if they DID win the WS we know what the chances of a repeat are so let's finally clean house.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 04:12 PM)
Short of a World Series title I'm with you on this one. Hell even if they DID win the WS we know what the chances of a repeat are so let's finally clean house.

:lolhitting

Congratulations Mr. Guillen, Mr. Williams. You're fired. Will you come back for the banner unveiling?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 08:22 AM)
For once he is right. Everything I have ever read said Kenny wanted Cito, and Ozzie stole Jerry's heart.

You're right, but I thought everyone knew this. Additionally, Jerry is the only reason Ozzie hasn't been removed from his post already.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I was being somewhat facetious but yeah: short of a WS, really? We want the same team, the same organization back, in-tact, next year?

Right now even though we're flying among the pigeons in the Comedy Central we are STILL only a .500 ballclub. Even IF we win the division does anybody have any faith we'll go very far?

Plus, we're an NL team right now. How? In that league you've got the pitcher batting, which is usually an automatic out for the most part.

Instead of a pitcher, we have Dunn filling that role. Unless somebody here thinks he's going to miraculously find himself after four months of not doing that.

:lolhitting

Congratulations Mr. Guillen, Mr. Williams. You're fired. Will you come back for the banner unveiling?

I don't believe managers make much of a difference. However, GM's make a HUGE difference. Especially when they suck. The Sox desperately need to get KW out of the organization.

What are the chances of this happening?

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 05:02 PM)
I don't believe managers make much of a difference. However, GM's make a HUGE difference. Especially when they suck. The Sox desperately need to get KW out of the organization.

38.6%

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 06:02 PM)

I don't know what exactly all the details are on KW's contract and such. I think if we miss the playoffs this year, it's clear Ozzie is gone.

If Ozzie is finally gone, I'm not sure about Kenny. He might well hang it up on his own. He might well have been told by JR that his job was on the line if they went all-in as well, and if that's the case then he should be removed as well. If he told JR that there was risks to going to $125 million and they might still not win the central, and JR said that was acceptable, then that should buy him another year to try to salvage things.

Where it goes from there would depend on what happened next year. A $100 million 65 win team might well finish him.

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 04:02 PM)

Kirk Gibson disagrees... It's the mindset of the organization...which managers and coaches make a big difference IMO.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 09:18 AM)
Sadly Ozzie has won that battle statistically.

He won the battle but we all lost the war. Not bringing back Thome in 2010 is going to go down as one of the most costly blunders in KW's reign, and perhaps White Sox history. If they brought Thome back last year, and he was willing to pay for peanuts, if he hit like he did in Minnesota, maybe the Sox take the division. Minnesota would have been hurting when Morneau went down without him. And if they kept Thome, chances are they don't ever offer Dunn the contract they offered him and they dodge that bullet. Whether is fair or not fair to hold someone other than Adam Dunn accountable for his lack of production after signing with the Sox, whether it was something that could be foreseen or not, and I don't think even the most pessimistic could see a drop of this magnitude, really doesn't matter.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 12:56 PM)
I don't care if we make the playoffs or not, there has to be changes at the end of the year. Ozzie and KW can simply not co-exist long-term. There is just too much bad blood and philosophical differences between the two. At least one of them has to go. IMO, Ozzie has warn out his welcome here with his constant drama and has done a below average job managing the team the last few years. If he stays, he'd have an even stronger stranglehold on the organization and that's really scary.

If do we get rid of KW, then the new GM should be able to pick his own guy. I'm actually starting to like the idea of Hahn as GM. He's incredibly intelligent and it seems like the game is starting to value that more than previous baseball experience. Guys like Friedman and Epstein are proof of that. He seems like a pretty popular name around the league and my guess is if we don't offer him the job, he'll be the next GM of the Cubs. I think you got to make a long-term decision on KW this offseason and if he's the not the guy, offer Hahn the job and maybe KW a John Paxson type position, although I'm not sure he'll go for that.

Regardless, do not force a manger on our GM. If KW, Hahn or whomever wants Larussa, then so be it, but I don't want any more power struggles and lack of accountability.

LaRussa will not come back here to answer to Kenny or neophyte Hahn. He comes back wielding Pat Riley type powers or not at all.

Edited by mcgrad70

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 09:39 PM)
If this team hires LaRussa as the manager I quit. LaRussa is a complete asswipe.

Also, what is this weird fasination people have with Logan Morison? He's kind of bad.

Don't know much about Logan, but I agree on LaRussa.

Basbeall genisu, but he is a fool.

Bob

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 03:12 PM)

Whoaaaa. Wait a minute. Hold up? A WS title? I think that would have to at least be passable reasoning for bringing them back.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 01:53 PM)
I've been saying that for a long time. I'm glad others feel the same way.

You can't give the job to Hahn without giving Kenny (as much I dislike him) the opportunity to work with his own hand-pick manager.

Reinsdorf is to blame for all of this crap.

If Cito is the guy Kenny wanted, Jerry should have signed-off.

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 09:47 PM)
You can't give the job to Hahn without giving Kenny (as much I dislike him) the opportunity to work with his own hand-pick manager.

Ummm..We did win a World Series with Ozzie. I'm not saying he hasn't lost his luster or that I'm sick of the feuding between OG and KW, but like I said, we did win a WS.

Bob

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 05:13 PM)
Take this for what it is worth.

Spoke with my guy on 35th today. This is the only scenario he knows that has been discussed.

1.) Guillen/Cooper out (presumably will go to Florida)

2.) Williams moved up or moved out.

3.) Hahn new GM.

4.) La Russa/Duncan hired.

La Russa/Duncan hire would mean no rebuild.

I can't see LaRussa answering to a neophyte. Hahn would get the job but he would be doing LaRussa bidding, not the other way around. Then LaRussa eventually becomes president or Executive VP

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 09:47 PM)

Why? It's Jerry's team.