New car shopping

Iwritecode

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 17, 2012 -> 03:25 PM)
Good luck shack! I still can't believe how much time these dealerships waste on situations like this, they're going to be in the red big time when it's all said and done. Do it right the first time and they make money, instead they are probably going to have to give you a more expensive car.

Thanks Russ...I don't have the energy to type the full story, but there was a lot of s*** going down at the dealership that the salesman and used car manager were lying to me about. I finally got the GM in a room and we worked out a solution. They took the car back for what I paid for it, and sold me a new Q5 for about $2k under invoice. I spent more than I was hoping to, but as long as I had them out at the woodshed, I figured I would get as much car as I could.

This baby is loaded to the gils with every feature imaginable almost...and the ride and handling are night and day compared to the Q7. I'm very excited.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll preface this by stating that I am sure most of you are pretty sick of my car adventures but I just wanted to post about what went on so that maybe someone else can learn from it in the future...

So I went back into the dealership on Friday afternoon and the salesman told me that they were prepared to be forthright with me and admit that in order to install the options they had promised me, it was going to take at least 2-3 weeks to get it done. He said they were prepared to discuss taking the car back and to give me a replacement, but the similar vehicles they had on the lot were more expensive due to being a later model year and having a higher trim line. I told him I was done playing around and that unless they found me a replacement vehicle at a similar cost I was prepared to take legal action. He continued to try and explain that the other vehicles they had were just significantly more expensive and that while they would cut me a nice discount, they couldn't just "give" one to me at the same price as the car they had sold me previously.

After much hemming and hawing I finally asked to just speak to the General Manager. He confessed that he just learned of the situation the previous Monday, and that the tech that had told the salesman that the upgrades could be done in-house had been fired. The story the salesman had given me about the tech getting in a car accident the day before and going on medical leave had been fabricated by the used-car manager and the salesman had been forced to follow this scam unbeknownst to the General Manager. The GM admitted I had been treated embarrassingly poorly and would never have authorized this had he been a part of the situation earlier.

He basically said he would do everything in his power to rectify the situation. I told them I wanted them to take back the old car at the price I had paid a month ago and for them to give me another vehicle, at the lowest possible dollar amount he was authorized. He was more than willing to do so. We discussed a number of vehicles and I ultimately chose the new Q5. He showed me his computer screen which showed me the msrp and the dealer invoice price for the vehicle with all the options. He then deducted $1500 for a brand loyalty discount and an additional $1500 as a "preferred customer discount." Additionally, he showed me how their credit tiering was devised and gave me their tier 2 financing rate (I do not have perfect credit, although it is above average). Since the car was new, I got a better interest rate as well as the standard 4/50 warranty, which I did not have on the previous used vehicle I had purchased. He also threw in a bunch of all-weather mats since he knew I would be using the vehicle to haul my dogs around.

All in all, it was an unfortunate experience, and not anything I would wish on anyone, but the fact that they botched the first deal allowed me to correct the mistake I made in choosing the larger Q7 over the Q5. It was simply way too much car for me considering it is just me in the car 90% of the time. The ride on the Q5 is night and day different from the Q7, and the gas mileage is 50% better, so some of the extra money I spent will be saved in monthly gas costs. Additionally, the warranty will probably save me some money over the life of the car as well as the lesser maintenance cost on parts that are meant to wear down (tires/brakes/oil changes). Finally, the resale value on this vehicle will be significantly higher at trade-in, and will probably defray much of the difference in price at the time of sale.

Finally, the vehicle is incredible. The particular vehicle I chose came loaded with just about everything, including the navigation/bluetooth/iPod integration I had originally desired, as well as parking sensors and backup camera, a premium Bang & Olufson sound system, and my favorite feature, the Advanced Key system, which allows you to keep the keys in your pocket or purse and still open the doors and liftgate, as well as pushbutton start and stop the engine, which is a great feature if you have pets or animals or groceries or anything in your hands when you are trying to access the vehicle. The ride is smooth and the 2.0 liter 4-cyclinder engine is responsive with a lot of torque. The difference in handling and acceleration is extremely noticeable between the Q7 and Q5.

Definitely a pricier option for me, but wow...what a car!

Shack. Interesting experience but glad you ended up getting what you wanted. Still, definitely a royal pain the butt to ultimately get there. It reminds me of the time I bought my Highlander (or so I thought I did).

I had worked out a deal and shook hands. All of a sudden the GM starts trying to sell me another car. Than he tells me he made a mistake and sold the current car too cheap. I literally looked at him and said, we had a deal. It was the biggest joke ever. He figured since I had spent about 2 hours negotiating everything and getting everything set-up that he had me. To this day I will never ever step foot in that dealership ever again in my life. How they can do business being as unethical as they were, I have no idea, but I wanted nothing to do with him.

Two days later he called me with the offer and I said, thanks but no thanks. Ended up getting it a few days later from a fleet guy (which is whom I normally try to deal with) and pretty much got a great deal (same deal as they had offered).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 08:20 AM)
Shack-

When you say the dealer bought it back for what you paid, does that include all the taxes and fees?

Yep. I made them make me whole, as if I never even bought the previous car.

Edited by iamshack

• 3 weeks later...

I went to the dealership to talk to my salesman friend who's selling us the car so we could set a date to finalize everything and sign the paperwork. I had originally hoped to get the car this weekend but when we found out how much our insurance is going to go up, we had to push it back a couple of months.

We are set for May 5th unless they offer something like 0% financing that we'll obviously want to jump on sooner. We are only waiting so long so we can make our final payments to another unsecured loan we had to take out a few years ago.

While there, the sales manager happened to mention they have the exact car we want sitting on the lot. Exact color, trim level and everything. So they were trying to convince us to get the car right then and there. They even offered to cut us a check to pay off the loan and just roll the amount into our financing. Plus they can defer the first payment out 90 days which would bring us to the beginning of June.

It's really, really tempting but if we wait we'll have a slightly better credit score and might even be able to scrounge up a down payment.

Edited by Iwritecode

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 12:57 PM)
540361_2501835244245_1803884062_1501415_

We couldn't wait anymore. Picked it up last night. We got tired of our old car nickle and diming us to death with small repairs.

It's so nice to drive a car where everything works and it's quiet.

Congrats! Always love the feel of driving a new car home.

• 3 months later...
QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 09:04 PM)
I miss my sports car and I want a new one....now I can afford one...

Anyone get any nice sports coupes recently?

Opinions?

I'm dreaming of an Audi TT RS right now....gulp...

If I was a young single guy... this would be one of my cars.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?listingId=68310282

I understand GM is going to reintroduce the G8 next year.

6.0L V8

Read reviews on this.

Hell... I still may go out and buy one. lol

Edited by scenario

Opinions?

the challenger(any color) is by far my fave, awesome :)

b5-blue-dodge-challenger_100178477_m.jpg

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 09:45 PM)

very nice car. i have a grand prix gtp, great car so i would imagine this car is good too. well it was great i should say, until i blew the trans and had to get a new one, hasnt been the same since, but drives fine lol

Opinions?

Well in that price range, I'd recommend an Infiniti, I absolutely love their styling and their Coupe performance tends to be class leading.

Infiniti G Coupe

2012_infiniti_g-coupe_coupe_ipl_fq_oem_3

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 09:45 PM)

6.0L V8

Read reviews on this.

Hell... I still may go out and buy one. lol

the only thing that sucks about these cars is that theyre v8's , waste too much gas. my brother has a beautiful 04 pontiac gto and it only gives him a little over 12 mpg ;)

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 10:29 PM)
the only thing that sucks about these cars is that theyre v8's , waste too much gas. my brother has a beautiful 04 pontiac gto and it only gives him a little over 12 mpg ;)

Yes. People don't buy this car for the gas mileage. :)

But everyone who buys this car loves it.

Don't buy new cars because they depreciate about 15% the minute you drive them off the lot.

Have had 8 different GM and Chrysler vehicles in the past and have had major mechanical problems with every single one.

Most recently have had two Toyota vehicles with no problems at all. We're hooked on Toyotas for life.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 07:15 AM)
Don't buy new cars because they depreciate about 15% the minute you drive them off the lot.

Have had 8 different GM and Chrysler vehicles in the past and have had major mechanical problems with every single one.

Most recently have had two Toyota vehicles with no problems at all. We're hooked on Toyotas for life.

Meh, there are so many incentives for non-luxury brands right now that you can tend to make up for the depreciation and then some, plus you won't have any miles on it.

Also, Toyotas are solid, they just don't wow me at all in styling.

Edited by bigruss22

Opinions?

Maybe I am confusing you with someone else... didn't you just, like a few months ago, go through a huge, painful death march of a car buying experience before finally getting what you wanted? Now you want to replace it already?

Right now, I'd strongly recommend (for most people) a new car over a used one. Used car prices are, relative to new, more expensive now than they have ever been. Interest rates on car loans are absurdly low, you can typically get a new car at zero to two percent if you have decent credit - used cars are more, if you have to finance. Add to that the fact that warranties keep getting better and fuel economy (due to CAFE standards) keeps being upped with each new car model iterance... to me, new is the way to go.

The way to avoid losing a ton of money into depreciation is not buy an expensive car (which depreciate much faster, with a few exceptions), and be careful what brands/types you buy. Toyota and Honda, for example, hold their value extremely well. So do hybrid models.

I've always had GMs and the ones that didn't get totaled, got driven into the ground after many, many years. The car I drive now is a 2004 Impala that we drove off of the lot new, and has never had any major problems. [knocks on wood].

Thanks for the thoughts, guys.

This would be a pretty irresponsible, yet fun toy for me...not even going to try and justify it as anything other than that.

I currently have an Audi Q5 which I use as my daily driver/dog hauler. Love, love, love it, but really miss driving a manual transmission and a bit of spirited driving.

Have looked into the possibility of getting a vintage sports car, such as a late 60's or 70's camaro, a mid 60's Ford Mustang Fastback, but honestly, I don't know anything about fixing cars and so that would probably be unwise for me, as I wouldn't have the slightest idea what to do if something went wrong (and the chances of that are much greater with a car of that age).

So I keep coming back to a new or slightly used vehicle. Don't love American cars, I'll be honest. While the exterior styling of the recent muscle remakes are pretty sweet, I dislike the interiors. Not the biggest fan of Japanese brands for mostly the same reason. Which brings me back to the German brands. Porsche, BMW, Audi (I refuse to buy a Mercedes sports car).

Owned an Audi TT previously, and loved it. Open to getting a used second generation model, but they are all automatic tiptronic transmissions, which I am really not sure I am comfortable with. The only model they make that is a 6-speed manual is the RS model, which was new for 2012. And runs $60k. Ouch.

I'm going to the dealership sometime today to test drive a 2008 white coupe, and then potentially the 2012 RS they have on the showroom floor. The difference in performance is massive, however, the price tag is as well.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 08:57 AM)
Maybe I am confusing you with someone else... didn't you just, like a few months ago, go through a huge, painful death march of a car buying experience before finally getting what you wanted? Now you want to replace it already?

Yeah, I did...not looking to replace my Q5.

And yes, it was a huge, painful death march ;)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 09:04 AM)
Thanks for the thoughts, guys.

This would be a pretty irresponsible, yet fun toy for me...not even going to try and justify it as anything other than that.

I currently have an Audi Q5 which I use as my daily driver/dog hauler. Love, love, love it, but really miss driving a manual transmission and a bit of spirited driving.

Have looked into the possibility of getting a vintage sports car, such as a late 60's or 70's camaro, a mid 60's Ford Mustang Fastback, but honestly, I don't know anything about fixing cars and so that would probably be unwise for me, as I wouldn't have the slightest idea what to do if something went wrong (and the chances of that are much greater with a car of that age).

So I keep coming back to a new or slightly used vehicle. Don't love American cars, I'll be honest. While the exterior styling of the recent muscle remakes are pretty sweet, I dislike the interiors. Not the biggest fan of Japanese brands for mostly the same reason. Which brings me back to the German brands. Porsche, BMW, Audi (I refuse to buy a Mercedes sports car).

Owned an Audi TT previously, and loved it. Open to getting a used second generation model, but they are all automatic tiptronic transmissions, which I am really not sure I am comfortable with. The only model they make that is a 6-speed manual is the RS model, which was new for 2012. And runs $60k. Ouch.

I'm going to the dealership sometime today to test drive a 2008 white coupe, and then potentially the 2012 RS they have on the showroom floor. The difference in performance is massive, however, the price tag is as well.

I love Audi's and that TT looks sick, how hard is it going to be for you to test drive that and not put down an offer right there? :P

I'm currently trying to find a sportier or luxury car for around $25k, so far I've been drawn to:

Hyundai Veloster (would prefer the Turbo, but 26k is pricey for what that car is imo)

Audi A3 - used

Ford Mustang - 2012 model since there is a $3k rebate right now

Im still in the process of saving up for the down payment (just out of school so probably will be for a few months) plus the Veloster Turbo is brand new and dealers don't even have it in stock.