Camping Thread

iamshack

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Any suggestions on some nice camping spots within 4-5 hours of Chicago?

I've done a lot of camping in the past, but it's always been overnight fishing and hunting type stuff. I've never actually gone out camping without the intention of fishing/hunting, so I've been looking around for some nice campgrounds and such (West Michigan has a ton of nice ones) that I can take a couple friends out with for a night or two.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 23, 2012 -> 01:39 PM)

I've done a lot of camping in the past, but it's always been overnight fishing and hunting type stuff. I've never actually gone out camping without the intention of fishing/hunting, so I've been looking around for some nice campgrounds and such (West Michigan has a ton of nice ones) that I can take a couple friends out with for a night or two.

Dunes State Park and the Indiana National Lakeshore are great spots.

When I lived in Chicago, I was part of a group of friends that went camping at Turkey Run every Memorial Day weekend. It's anywhere from 3-4 hours, depending on where in Chicago you are. One of if not the best state park in Indiana.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 23, 2012 -> 01:48 PM)
When I lived in Chicago, I was part of a group of friends that went camping at Turkey Run every Memorial Day weekend. It's anywhere from 3-4 hours, depending on where in Chicago you are. One of if not the best state park in Indiana.

Turkey Run is a great park. I will second that.

I always favored the north woods of Wisconsin.

Depends partially on what sort of "camping" you plan to do. Camper? From a car? Hike in? Canoe or kayak in?

A few places I'd recommend...

--Kettle Moraine State Parks, in Wisconsin. The south unit is only a couple hours from Chicago, the north unit is another hour or two north. North unit is quieter and less used, but a longer drive. Nice hiking trails, lakes to fish on, campgrounds around, towns with restaurants and what not nearby, nice scenery.

--Yellow River State Forest in... Iowa. Yes, Iowa. NE corner of the state, a little NW of Galena, IL. It is in the "driftless area", much like Mississippi Palisades State Park (also recommended), has amazingly good scenery, creeks with trout in them, virtually unused hiking trails. My favorite hidden gem in the Midwest. About 3 hours' drive from the Chicago area.

--If you don't mind the crowds, Turkey Run in Indiana and Starve Rock in Illinois are both scenic choices with plenty of nice camping areas. But they are heavily used.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 23, 2012 -> 03:13 PM)
Depends partially on what sort of "camping" you plan to do. Camper? From a car? Hike in? Canoe or kayak in?

A few places I'd recommend...

--Kettle Moraine State Parks, in Wisconsin. The south unit is only a couple hours from Chicago, the north unit is another hour or two north. North unit is quieter and less used, but a longer drive. Nice hiking trails, lakes to fish on, campgrounds around, towns with restaurants and what not nearby, nice scenery.

--Yellow River State Forest in... Iowa. Yes, Iowa. NE corner of the state, a little NW of Galena, IL. It is in the "driftless area", much like Mississippi Palisades State Park (also recommended), has amazingly good scenery, creeks with trout in them, virtually unused hiking trails. My favorite hidden gem in the Midwest. About 3 hours' drive from the Chicago area.

--If you don't mind the crowds, Turkey Run in Indiana and Starve Rock in Illinois are both scenic choices with plenty of nice camping areas. But they are heavily used.

Planned on just driving up and parking, then walking a ways and plopping down a tent. I've fished at Starved Rock a lot in the past, that doesn't intrigue me much.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 23, 2012 -> 03:22 PM)
Any particular spots or sites in Kettle Moraine you'd recommend?

Butler Lake TH, there is water there, and you can hike in 3 or 4 directions from the area. There are shelters in certain places, other places you can tent camp, but you should check with the State Park about where you can and cannot, and if you need reserve permits or anything. I haven't been there in a while.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 23, 2012 -> 04:02 PM)
Planned on just driving up and parking, then walking a ways and plopping down a tent. I've fished at Starved Rock a lot in the past, that doesn't intrigue me much.

Then I'd go Kettle Moraine - North, or Yellow River. Both have fishing opportunities as well (lakes in Kettle Moraine, creeks and the river in Yellow River), if you get the chance. Both will be quiet, lots of hiking opportunities, campsites, water availability, and not a ton of people.

Also should mention, Kettle-South is a lot bigger (though more spread out and discontinuous), so the crowds get spread out and its not terribly crowded when I've been there. More crowded than North, but less so than, say, Starve Rock.

Website for Kettle-North

Website for Kettle-South

Website for Yellow River

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 23, 2012 -> 04:12 PM)
Butler Lake TH, there is water there, and you can hike in 3 or 4 directions from the area. There are shelters in certain places, other places you can tent camp, but you should check with the State Park about where you can and cannot, and if you need reserve permits or anything. I haven't been there in a while.

Then I'd go Kettle Moraine - North, or Yellow River. Both have fishing opportunities as well (lakes in Kettle Moraine, creeks and the river in Yellow River), if you get the chance. Both will be quiet, lots of hiking opportunities, campsites, water availability, and not a ton of people.

Also should mention, Kettle-South is a lot bigger (though more spread out and discontinuous), so the crowds get spread out and its not terribly crowded when I've been there. More crowded than North, but less so than, say, Starve Rock.

Website for Kettle-North

Website for Kettle-South

Website for Yellow River

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 23, 2012 -> 04:16 PM)
Oh, another idea is Black River Falls State Forest, in Wisconsin. Its further away, more like a 4 hour drive. But its bigger, far more wilderness-like, and has gorgeous scenery. Also a couple active wolf packs in the area.

I'll look into all these. Thanks NSS.

You do know it's STARVED Rock, right?

Ok, I'll add this too: I've never actually gone to a designated campground or state park. How does it work? Do you you drive up, park, and then go pop a tent anywhere? How do you pay? And where? Are there designated areas where you can and cannot camp? I don't want to be in a lot next to 60 other tents.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 23, 2012 -> 08:13 PM)
Ok, I'll add this too: I've never actually gone to a designated campground or state park. How does it work? Do you you drive up, park, and then go pop a tent anywhere? How do you pay? And where? Are there designated areas where you can and cannot camp? I don't want to be in a lot next to 60 other tents.

Usually there is a preregistration fee paid somewhere, an occasionally (like holiday weekends) things may even fill up. Try to find a state parks website for the one you're looking for and there's likely am online booking optionz

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 23, 2012 -> 03:13 PM)

Wow, you make this place sound awesome. Only 3.5 hours from Minneapolis. Researching it, I also found a place in southeastern Minnesota called Forestville/Mystery Cave State Park along the Root River that looks pretty neat. I should take some trips down there.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 23, 2012 -> 08:47 PM)
Usually there is a preregistration fee paid somewhere, an occasionally (like holiday weekends) things may even fill up. Try to find a state parks website for the one you're looking for and there's likely am online booking optionz

Yes, check the websites from the links I posted. Different states, different parks, different rules. Usually some small fees involved, but often if you camp away from the parking areas (backcountry), it becomes free.

QUOTE (farmteam @ May 23, 2012 -> 09:22 PM)
Wow, you make this place sound awesome. Only 3.5 hours from Minneapolis. Researching it, I also found a place in southeastern Minnesota called Forestville/Mystery Cave State Park along the Root River that looks pretty neat. I should take some trips down there.

Anywhere in the driftless area is great. Mississippi Palisades is like that too. Basically, the NE corner of IA, NW corner of IL, SE corner of MN and SW corner of WI. It looks entirely different than the rest of the upper midwest. The last glaciation left a sort of gap that it never hit, that is the driftless area. Lots of bluffs and cliffs, waterfalls, and different cover types.

We go to Starved Rock pretty regularly but I can't recall the last time I was actually on Starved Rock. We tend to stick to the LaSalle Canyon end of the trails, hiking in from the parking lot over there. One of the guys at my work has done some ice climbing on that waterfall before.

BTW this summer the missus and I will be spending 5 weeks "camping" on South Padre Island inside a house with catered meals at a Boy Scout Sea Base. Then, three weeks following the Continental Divide into Yellowstone. Finally 4 days abourd a sailboat leaving port in Kemah, Texas and cruising the bay and out into the Gulf de Mexico.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 24, 2012 -> 10:00 AM)
BTW this summer the missus and I will be spending 5 weeks "camping" on South Padre Island inside a house with catered meals at a Boy Scout Sea Base. Then, three weeks following the Continental Divide into Yellowstone. Finally 4 days abourd a sailboat leaving port in Kemah, Texas and cruising the bay and out into the Gulf de Mexico.

Email me about the CDT, I did a lot of research on the whole route when MOS was section-hiking it. Also, depending on which way you are coming from to go "into" Yellowstone, I may have done some sections myself. There was a not-for-profit called the Continental Divide Trail Association that was coordinating the efforts to finish the trail, but they went under a few months ago. I can get you maps and all sorts of other stuff.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 24, 2012 -> 10:57 AM)
Email me about the CDT, I did a lot of research on the whole route when MOS was section-hiking it. Also, depending on which way you are coming from to go "into" Yellowstone, I may have done some sections myself. There was a not-for-profit called the Continental Divide Trail Association that was coordinating the efforts to finish the trail, but they went under a few months ago. I can get you maps and all sorts of other stuff.

Thank you. We will be basecamping most of the trip and day hiking with one or two overnighters with BPing gear. I am also interesting in driving some unimproved roads. I have a new to me 4x4 F-150 that needs some work.

We are also dropping down through New Mexico on the way home, where is your property?

QUOTE (Tex @ May 24, 2012 -> 12:52 PM)
Thank you. We will be basecamping most of the trip and day hiking with one or two overnighters with BPing gear. I am also interesting in driving some unimproved roads. I have a new to me 4x4 F-150 that needs some work.

We are also dropping down through New Mexico on the way home, where is your property?

Send me an email, so as not to thread-jack. You are welcome to use the property if you want to, I'll give you the location offline.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 24, 2012 -> 09:30 AM)
Anywhere in the driftless area is great. Mississippi Palisades is like that too. Basically, the NE corner of IA, NW corner of IL, SE corner of MN and SW corner of WI. It looks entirely different than the rest of the upper midwest. The last glaciation left a sort of gap that it never hit, that is the driftless area. Lots of bluffs and cliffs, waterfalls, and different cover types.

I've been out in the middle of nowhere near Lacrosse, WI, which is absolutely gorgeous. We go trout fishing out there a few times a year. One of my favorite places on Earth. SW Wisconsin is just beautiful.