AFL thread

danman31

Final Stats for the Sox prospects...

PITCHERS

Terry Doyle (SP): in 8 G, 27.1 IP... 12 H, 6 ER, 5 BB, 22 K... 1.98 ERA, 0.62 WHIP, 1.20 GO/AO, .135 AvgA, 7.2 K/9, 1.6 BB/9

Jacob Petricka (RP): in 13 G, 16.1 IP... 16 H, 10 ER, 10 BB, 18 K... 5.51 ERA, 1.59 WHIP, 1.91 GO/AO, .246 AvgA, 9.9 K/9, 5.5 BB/9

Nevin Griffith (RP): in 13 G, 14.0 IP... 20 H, 15 ER, 11 BB, 7 K... 9.64 ERA, 2.21 WHIP, 2.89 GO/AO, .328 AvgA, 4.5 K/9, 7.1 BB/9

Brandon Kloess (RP): in 13 G, 12.1 IP... 6 H, 5 ER, 4 BB, 17 K... 3.65 ERA, 0.81 WHIP, 1.75 GO/AO, .133 AvgA, 12.4 K/9, 2.9 BB/9

POSITION PLAYERS

Brandon Short (OF): in 29 G, 117 AB... .274/.346/.453/.799... 12 BB, 38 K... 2 SB, 2 CS

Tyler Saladino (SS): in 19 G, 77 AB... .286/.341/.351/.692... 7 BB, 17 K... 3 SB, 1 CS

Michael Blanke ©: in 9 G, 34 AB... .206/.270/.471/.741... 2 BB, 6 K

Doyle and Kloess looked quite good, increased their stocks I'm sure. Petricka struck guys out but otherwise struggled. Griffith was just terrible, I wonder if he's done. On the offensive side, Short with a mostly impressive line, except that he struck out 32% of the time. Saladino hit for average, drew some walks and made so-so contact (22% K rate), but showed no power. Blanke struggled a bit, and left early, and no one seems to know why.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 04:50 PM)
Please don't encourage this garbage. It won't happen.

Doyle just got showcased in the AFL. Kuhn will probably get nabbed in the minor league phase.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 06:50 PM)
You're that convinced no one takes a shot at him?

I'm that convinced that either the Sox end up protecting him or something else happens before that Nov. 20 deadline.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 10:43 PM)
Doyle just got showcased in the AFL. Kuhn will probably get nabbed in the minor league phase.

Exactly. You don't showcase a guy just to let him go for free. It was the Sox that showcased him after all. Kuhn won't even be eligible for the AAA phase.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 11:26 PM)
I'm that convinced that either the Sox end up protecting him or something else happens before that Nov. 20 deadline.

Exactly. You don't showcase a guy just to let him go for free. It was the Sox that showcased him after all. Kuhn won't even be eligible for the AAA phase.

There's a AA phase too.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 11:38 PM)
I was under the impression that today was the deadline for Rule 5 protection. Is that incorrect?

I read the 20th is the deadline unless the weekend changed it.

Hmm, that was of course wrong. I doubt Doyle gets picked up, but even if he gets taken and doesn't stick it's a bad thing for his development.

Deunte Heath is protected. What a joke.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 11:44 PM)
I read the 20th is the deadline unless the weekend changed it.

MLB Trade Rumors and some MLB.com articles seem to indicate that the deadline is tonight. I would check further, but I'm having some DNS issues with my internet this evening.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 11:48 PM)
He is already on the AA roster though.

I can assure you that Kuhn is not eligible for the minor league phase. Losing him wouldn't be a loss to me. Same for Brandon Short. Danks could be a minor annoyance because I think he could be a solid fourth OF option.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 11:51 PM)
I can assure you that Kuhn is not eligible for the minor league phase. Losing him wouldn't be a loss to me. Same for Brandon Short. Danks could be a minor annoyance because I think he could be a solid fourth OF option.

I think Doyle is the most likely to be selected, followed by Kuhn, then Danks. I don't think I would miss anyone but Doyle really. Also, not protecting Jordan is pretty telling on what's going to happen with John.

"Players are eligible for selection in the Rule 5 draft who are not on their major league organization's 40-man roster and:

– were signed at age 19 or older and have been in the organization for four years; or

– were signed at age 18 or younger and have been in the organization for five years."

Kuhn is eligible, so is Doyle. When I met Terry's uncle, one of the things we talked about was his upcoming eligibility in the Rule 5 draft. His dad told me a few weeks ago that they were waiting to find out.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Nov 19, 2011 -> 12:21 AM)
Kuhn is eligible, so is Doyle. When I met Terry's uncle, one of the things we talked about was his upcoming eligibility in the Rule 5 draft. His dad told me a few weeks ago that they were waiting to find out.

Kuhn is eligible for the Major League phase and only the Major League phase.

So here is my confusion. For Doyle and Kuhn, are they both only eligible for the Major League phase? If so, then I agree that the Sox don't really need to protect either one, as I don't see anyone putting them on their 25. But if either is minor league phase eligible, to go only on a team's 40, then it seems a shame to not protect at least Doyle.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 09:48 AM)
So here is my confusion. For Doyle and Kuhn, are they both only eligible for the Major League phase? If so, then I agree that the Sox don't really need to protect either one, as I don't see anyone putting them on their 25. But if either is minor league phase eligible, to go only on a team's 40, then it seems a shame to not protect at least Doyle.

Assuming this is accurate, the only way Doyle and Kuhn are eligible for the AAA phase is if the Sox simply want to get rid of them.

The AAA and AA Minor League phases are far more simplified, as teams may draft any player not protected by either the 40 man roster or the 38 man AAA reserve list (AAA phase) and the 37 man AA reserve list (AA phase). These prospects can be purchased at the cost of $12,000 and $4,000 respectively, and are not subject to the restrictions of the Rule 5 Draft's major league phase.

So beyond the MLB 40-man, they'd have to be left off the 38-man AAA reserve list. Considering Kuhn has already been in AAA the Sox would have had to remove him for him to be eligible and the Sox would have to have a hatred of Doyle for him to be left off that list.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 02:33 PM)
Assuming this is accurate, the only way Doyle and Kuhn are eligible for the AAA phase is if the Sox simply want to get rid of them.

So beyond the MLB 40-man, they'd have to be left off the 38-man AAA reserve list. Considering Kuhn has already been in AAA the Sox would have had to remove him for him to be eligible and the Sox would have to have a hatred of Doyle for him to be left off that list.

Oh good. So Doyle, Kuhn, possibly even Short and others (Shirek was one I was curious about), can still be protected off the 40, if they think no one will put them on their 25.