2011 ALDS Tampa Bay Rays vs. Texas Rangers Thread

Brian

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 11:23 PM)
So much for Big Game James Shields

I'm seriously hoping the Rays lose this series (great story and all, but I care more about the Sox than a great baseball story). It gives us a better chance at Martinez considering the Red Sox are worrying about their GM position as well.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 07:05 PM)
With their pitching depth the Rays could put Shields on the trade market this offseason. If the A's do the same with Gio, Danks and Floyd's values take a big hit.

It would be smart for the Rays to do this. Shields has overachieved his peripherals (although his peripherals are still excellent) this season and he should be a regression candidate come next season. Sell high while you can.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 02:09 AM)
It would be smart for the Rays to do this. Shields has overachieved his peripherals (although his peripherals are still excellent) this season and he should be a regression candidate come next season. Sell high while you can.

Like they did with say...Edwin Jackson...

Sigh.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 08:18 AM)
LOL, J4L, you are sure flippant with your definition of "best". It can change at any time

No, this is inaccurate. The two best all-around players in baseball are Tulo and Longo. They do it both offensively and defensively at premium positions. You can find a 1B or LF at Walmart (unless you're the Sox, and you're giving JP 700 at bats). But those positions are so much easier to fill.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 06:52 PM)
And Scott Kazmir and Matt Garza.

Matt Garza pitched well this year and got zero support from his offense. 3.32 ERA, 2.95 FIP. Scott Kazmir is another story. He is worthless now. Once again, the Angels took on garbage and gave up some talent.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 06:55 PM)
Matt Garza pitched well this year and got zero support from his offense. 3.32 ERA, 2.95 FIP. Scott Kazmir is another story. He is worthless now. Once again, the Angels took on garbage and gave up some talent.

That wasn't my point. The point was the Rays were able to deal Garza without losing anything from the big league club because they had Jeremy Hellickson ready to go.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 07:02 PM)
That wasn't my point. The point was the Rays were able to deal Garza without losing anything from the big league club because they had Jeremy Hellickson ready to go.

Gotcha. I thought you were saying they traded him when his perceived value was highest. It must be nice to be able to just throw starters out there from nowhere.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 08:02 PM)

How does their rotation stack up next year if they were to trade another starter?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 12:20 PM)
Like they did with say...Edwin Jackson...

Sigh.

They sold low on Jackson. They will be selling extremely high on Shields, who's really not as good as he was this year.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 10:07 PM)
Price, Hellickson, Davis, Niemann, Moore. Not too shabby.

Yeah, they can probably live with that.

Who's next up for them in the minors as starter #6 next year should they need one? I know its the Rays so they do kinda have to go with what they've got, but having a #6 starter at AA/AAA must play into those decisions

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 08:06 PM)
Huh? Nobody can talk to him while they're still playing. Doesn't matter when they lose.

That doesn't mean they won't talk to him. Tampering happens (look at what happened to Ozzie).

All I know is that there's a better probability they can talk to him if the Rays lose. It might not be much better, but it will be better.