Top US Cities

SoxFan1

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 09:26 PM)
It's kind of odd, being born and raised in Chicago, but I absolutely despise the "city-life" and could never really live downtown in a big city. I have to be near the outdoors so I can fish and/or hunt. Chicago I could probably put up with because it's what I know, but there's not a chance in hell I could go to New York City or Los Angeles or Houston.

Houston is only about an hour from some absolutely beautiful areas, both north and south. Going north is national forest of pine, and south is some great beaches on Galveston Island. There is incredible hunting and fishing both ways, and not any further than it would take to get to those types of areas leaving Chicago. If I were to leave this area, that would be my first choice.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

San Diego and Fort Worth are my two favorites. That's with the caveat that I hate cold weather. I grew up with below freezing weather in winter, snow, etc and I want no part of that again.

San Diego, beautiful weather, much less traffic and crowds compared to LA for instance. Mountains are only a few hours away. Pretty easy drive to more secluded Baja "California" beaches.

Fort Worth, nice weather, get all 4 seasons, but not to an extreme. Small town feel, but tons of stuff to do. Cool river walk with canals cutting through the city is currently being built that will put San Antonio's to shame :-). Cool cities like San Antonio and Austin are a couple of hours away.

Raleigh-Durham is another nice city. Lots of trees, 4 seasons, research triangle with lots of educated folks running around.

Edited by Palehosefan

Los Angeles has good weather, usually. And its big enough that you can get whatever you want.

Beyond that? s***hole. One great big festering neon distraction. A giant, never-ending blob of plastic suburbia. Like San Diego but with 10x worse traffic, 10x more pollution, 10x more crime and 10x more people. No thanks.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 09:41 AM)
San Diego would be great. I was up in the Central California Coast last week, that would be amazing. San Fran area would be great, too.

LA? Absolutely zero desire.

What major-ish cities are there on the coast between LA and San Francisco? I know there's quite a bit of space there.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 09:50 AM)
What major-ish cities are there on the coast between LA and San Francisco? I know there's quite a bit of space there.

San Jose, but that's about it.

Santa Cruz too.

Edited by GoSox05

I had to sit and think about this. I really never want to leave chicago. But, my wife and I have talked and if we were to ever move we'd want to be near family/friends, or to a place where we know they'd come and visit a lot. So, here is my list for places OTHER than chicago metro area.

1) Tampa Bay / Orlando, FL (lots of visitors, warm weather)

2) Iowa City/Cedar Rapids, IA (family, my wife is from Iowa)

3) Tomah, WI (family, wife's uncle loves there)

Beyond those three, we really have no ambitions to move anywhere else.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 10:52 AM)
I'm serious. Besides the good weather, all I've heard for a long time is the negative stuff people have already said.

LA gets ragged on because of the pollution and the traffic. But there's a reason for all the traffic and the pollution - because so many people want to live there!

The weather, the entertainment, the beaches, the food, the people...there are tons of reasons to live in LA. Not saying I would want to do it without lots of money, but let's not act like it's not a world-class city, folks.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 09:57 AM)
LA gets ragged on because of the pollution and the traffic. But there's a reason for all the traffic and the pollution - because so many people want to live there!

The weather, the entertainment, the beaches, the food, the people...there are tons of reasons to live in LA. Not saying I would want to do it without lots of money, but let's not act like it's not a world-class city, folks.

Lots of people like Justin Beiber and Twilight, not sure if mass appeal is the best way to judge!

I don't begrudge anyone that does like LA, it just isn't for me.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 03:57 PM)

No, the reason for all the traffic is they built a city so sprawled that it's public transit sucks and you are forced to drive everywhere. Sprawl + 2nd largest city + no public transit = Awful traffic.