There is no such thing as a lucky hit.....

Bmr31

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Batters are paid to put the ball in play.  No matter how f***ing soft you hit it, or how f***ing hard, a hit is a hit.  Stop with this excuse making, "it was a lucky hit".  It just makes you look weak. :bang

I think it isn't so much a "lucky hit" as it is lucky that the defense was out of position, the pitcher missed his spot, the second baseman was on the move because of the runner going, etc.

But, the batter, like you said, still has to get the ball in play and do his job. I hear you point and I like it.

Who are you talking to Bmr? :huh:

Well I saw a post, but i didnt want to quote it in fear of that person thinking his usual paranoid thoughts of someone out to get him. Anyway, ive seen it several times on here, and it kinda makes me sick. Just as many line drives get caught, as bloopers fall. It all evens out. Its not luck. Lots of times the players are good enough to place the ball just where they planned to........these are PROFESSIONALS.

Well I saw a post, but i didnt want to quote it in fear of that person thinking  his usual paranoid thoughts of someone out to get him.  Anyway, ive seen it several times on here, and it kinda makes me sick.  Just as many line drives get caught, as bloopers fall.  It all evens out.  Its not luck.  Lots of times the players are good enough to place the ball just where they planned to........these are PROFESSIONALS.

I gotcha. It didn't make as much sense out of context, I guess. And BTW, I agree with you, the "lucky" hit is an artform of good hitters. You don't see bad hitters getting those kind of hits. The best example of it, once again, is Frank during the 90's. He had so many bad swing and check swing ducksnorts over the first basemans head it was sick.

There are definitely lucky hits, and on the other side hard hit balls right at guys, or hang whiffms if you please, just like Jason said.

Putting the ball in play is their job, sure, but that doesn't mean that everything in play is deserving of a hit and there are no lucky hits

texas leaguer, duck snort, baltimore chop, swinging bunt...

Rule 7.08(e) applies: "Any runner is out when he fails to reach the next base before a fielder tags him or the base." This is a judgement call, pure and simple. It is not debatable, appealable or protestable. Either the runner reached the base before the tag or s/he did not. If, in the umpire's judgement, the runner reached before the tag, then s/he is safe. If, in the umpire's judgement, the runner failed to reach before the tag, then s/he is out. There is nothing more to it than that. I repeat, there is no "Tie" call, only "Safe" or "Out". And that is a judgement call based on the umpire's determination as to whether or not the runner reached before the tag. So don't try to tell me that a tie goes to the runner. There is no tie, period.

more stuff:

Ties. With regard to whether a runner is safe or out, the term "tie" does not appear in any rulebook. We can, however, discern the intent of the rules makers. On plays at first base, the batter-runner is out if he or the base is tagged before he touches the base. If you translate that to mean "a tie goes to the runner," that is probably fair. However, here’s what the rule states regarding when a runner is out when he is forced to advance: "he fails to reach the next base before a fielder tags him or the base". Does that mean "a tie goes to the defense"? As an umpire, avoid any discussion of ties in those types of situations. Your explanation should simply be you either saw the runner out or safe.