2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 03:10 AM)
In short, the Magic get Monta Ellis, the Warriors would get Andrew Bogut, and the Bucks would also get pieces.

All of these deals revolve around "pieces" from the Magic, because they have no tradeable assets. I'd be surprised if they got Monta simply because they have nothing to offer of value.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 07:43 AM)

I will say one thing, Rose has been freaking out about calls for a good two weeks. Hell, the entire Bulls team has been arguing everything.

It's actually quite fun to watch Rose grow up in front of our eyes. Superstars complain about calls and wind up getting them. Sadly, in the NBA these days, that's what you have to do.

Edited by Steve9347

Christ, that is a horrible idea.

One source close to the situation told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher that the Magic have promised Howard that they will add a quality player before Thursday's deadline and that Howard can decide the fate of both GM Otis Smith and coach Stan Van Gundy at the end of the season if he signs an extension. Bucks swingman Stephen Jackson, frustrated in Milwaukee, is available and sources say he and Howard have talked about playing together.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 09:36 AM)
Not really. Howard is more important than your front office/coach. I hate to say it but he is.

Allowing your player to hire/fire his GM and coach is never a good idea. They need to trade Howard as he's requested or let him walk in FA; sadly, they don't have a choice beyond that.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 07:40 AM)
Allowing your player to hire/fire his GM and coach is never a good idea. They need to trade Howard as he's requested or let him walk in FA; sadly, they don't have a choice beyond that.

Don't disagree, but if it is your final last ditched effort to keep Howard, than you have to do it. No matter what, having Howard is better than not.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 09:49 AM)
Don't disagree, but if it is your final last ditched effort to keep Howard, than you have to do it. No matter what, having Howard is better than not.

Sorry, I'd say keeping some integrity within your organization is better than having a player s*** all over it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 10:51 AM)
Sorry, I'd say keeping some integrity within your organization is better than having a player s*** all over it.

The cynical part of me says that Jas is right, and the part of me that wants to like the NBA wants to believe that Steve is right.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 07:51 AM)

The players are going to crap on it all they want. The reality is the NBA is a star driven league and without stars you won't win. If they keep Howard and 2 years from now win a championship who cares.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 10:01 AM)
The players are going to crap on it all they want. The reality is the NBA is a star driven league and without stars you won't win. If they keep Howard and 2 years from now win a championship who cares.

We've already proven that Howard does not mean a championship. He's had plenty of time and plenty of support. He's going to pair up with another superstar in another location, and there's no stopping that. Sadly, that star won't be Rose, for whatever zany reasoning he has, but it will be someone.

Either way, the Magic making it known he can decide the fate of their coach and General Manager makes the organization look unprofessional. Jesus, a guy with barely a high school education hiring and firing your GM is the dumbest thing I've ever heard proposed.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 08:04 AM)
We've already proven that Howard does not mean a championship. He's had plenty of time and plenty of support. He's going to pair up with another superstar in another location, and there's no stopping that. Sadly, that star won't be Rose, for whatever zany reasoning he has, but it will be someone.

Either way, the Magic making it known he can decide the fate of their coach and General Manager makes the organization look unprofessional. Jesus, a guy with barely a high school education hiring and firing your GM is the dumbest thing I've ever heard proposed.

That team is pretty bad. Jameer Nelson, etc. They really haven't had very good parts around Dwight. Dwight is a beast and can win titles in this league if you put him around a good wing player. That hasn't really happened yet in his career. I will admit when they had Rasheed and Turk playing well they were decent but that team was never full of elite talent and he's never had another top 20 player on his team.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 10:06 AM)
That team is pretty bad. Jameer Nelson, etc. They really haven't had very good parts around Dwight. Dwight is a beast and can win titles in this league if you put him around a good wing player. That hasn't really happened yet in his career. I will admit when they had Rasheed and Turk playing well they were decent but that team was never full of elite talent and he's never had another top 20 player on his team.

He has that opportunity right now. He doesnt want it

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 11:06 AM)

Part of the problem in all these spots is why they wind up not having good parts around him...and it seems to me, the answer invariably is that they keep trading for guys that Howard wants. The Cavs did the same thing...they didn't make moves (i.e. trading Szczerbiak's expiring deal for a better player) because Lebron didn't want them to, then they made other deals (Shaq) because Lebron wanted them to, and it kept them from really growing the team they needed. No one has made more aggressive and borderline insane trades the last few years than the Magic, and I'll bet those trades haven't happened over Howard's objections.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 10:07 AM)
I have this feeling the Magic will make this crazy desperate trade, deal all of their assets, flop in the playoffs, and Howard will still leave them high and dry.

They only have one asset, and he's the one they want to keep. The best they'll do is like Stephen Jackson, and that's not getting them past the Bulls or Heat.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 08:08 AM)
He has that opportunity right now. He doesnt want it

I don't disagree. However, the reality is, money counts, and he clearly is more concerned with other things. That is his right. He has a chance to get paid the most in Orlando. And they can still put a good team around him to help him win. I think Chicago makes a ton of sense and I keep hoping he comes to his senses, but if he wants to be the star and best player on his team, I won't bust his balls for that. Afterall, that is what I wanted LBJ to do.

Now if he goes to a team like the Heat, than that is blasphemy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 10:10 AM)
Part of the problem in all these spots is why they wind up not having good parts around him...and it seems to me, the answer invariably is that they keep trading for guys that Howard wants. The Cavs did the same thing...they didn't make moves (i.e. trading Szczerbiak's expiring deal for a better player) because Lebron didn't want them to, then they made other deals (Shaq) because Lebron wanted them to, and it kept them from really growing the team they needed. No one has made more aggressive and borderline insane trades the last few years than the Magic, and I'll bet those trades haven't happened over Howard's objections.

Yeah, the inmate is already running the asylum, which is why they keep winding up with 3 point shooters to clear room for Dwight down low so he can get his numbers. It's a joke.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 08:10 AM)

Otis Smith is supposedly a pretty well thought of gm. They haven't made any horrendous trades (that I remember). Rashard Lewis didn't dominate when he left. They did acquire Arenas in an odd move, but the reality is, they just haven't had a ton of talent. I think Dwight has lobbied to add players and how much he's made decisions, I don't know, but they haven't gotten the right guy yet.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 10:11 AM)
Now if he goes to a team like the Heat, than that is blasphemy.

I don't see how that would be possible, but if it did happen no amount of D-Rose would keep me from dropping the NBA.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 11:12 AM)
Otis Smith is supposedly a pretty well thought of gm. They haven't made any horrendous trades (that I remember). Rashard Lewis didn't dominate when he left. They did acquire Arenas in an odd move, but the reality is, they just haven't had a ton of talent. I think Dwight has lobbied to add players and how much he's made decisions, I don't know, but they haven't gotten the right guy yet.

I feel like there's a lot of "we have to do something" moves they've made. Keeping Gortat and Reddick despite big cap numbers on both of them, dealing for Turkoglu back after letting him walk, the Arenas deal, trading for Vince Carter, signing Brandon Bass, signing Quentin Richardson etc. They've been scraping and clawing to "avoid falling back" and then trying to hit a home run by going for guys like Carter and Arenas who have had down times.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 10:28 AM)
I feel like there's a lot of "we have to do something" moves they've made. Keeping Gortat and Reddick despite big cap numbers on both of them, dealing for Turkoglu back after letting him walk, the Arenas deal, trading for Vince Carter, signing Brandon Bass, signing Quentin Richardson etc. They've been scraping and clawing to "avoid falling back" and then trying to hit a home run by going for guys like Carter and Arenas who have had down times.

trading him for Big Baby

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 08:28 AM)

Let me ask you this. What does losing Gortat/Reddick do for the Magic? It isn't like if they didn't, they'd have had all kinds of cap room. None of those deals really put them in a financial mess. They were already in a financial mess.