2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 11:50 AM)
Let me ask you this. What does losing Gortat/Reddick do for the Magic? It isn't like if they didn't, they'd have had all kinds of cap room. None of those deals really put them in a financial mess. They were already in a financial mess.

But they had no play to get out of it.

If "Keeping Dwight Howard" wasn't the only goal, then after they made that finals trip but then lost Hedo and had Lewis get old/suspended the next year, the right play might very well have been to try to clear cap space and hit with a couple draft picks...but they couldn't afford to burn 2 seasons on a rebuilding/cap space clearing project, because that's 2 seasons of making Dwight Angry.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@kbergcbs

Despite Orlando's efforts to appease Dwight Howard by acquiring Monta Ellis, GSW owner Joe Lacob has no interest in the deal, sources say.

@kbergcbs

Lacob won't send Ellis to Orlando and help the Magic keep Howard. Lacob wants to preserve chances, however slim, of getting Howard himself.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 11:28 AM)
@kbergcbs

Despite Orlando's efforts to appease Dwight Howard by acquiring Monta Ellis, GSW owner Joe Lacob has no interest in the deal, sources say.

@kbergcbs

Lacob won't send Ellis to Orlando and help the Magic keep Howard. Lacob wants to preserve chances, however slim, of getting Howard himself.

Yeah, and Orlando has nothing to trade. They are out of options.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 12:30 PM)
If that managed to happen I'd definitely quit watching the NBA, it would be a waste of time and I think every non Heat fan would feel the same way.

Can the Commish veto a FA signing? Wouldn't that just call into question the entire lockout we just had? Wouldn't that do some serious PR damage and result in a ton of lost ratings? I can't imagine the league would ever allow that to happen.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 01:38 PM)
Can the Commish veto a FA signing? Wouldn't that just call into question the entire lockout we just had? Wouldn't that do some serious PR damage and result in a ton of lost ratings? I can't imagine the league would ever allow that to happen.

It would be theoretically impossible for the Heat to sign howard as a free agent. They could possibly pull off a sign and trade for him built around everyone on their roster who isn't the big 3. That basically means the Magic would have to accept Miller, Chalmers, Haslam, Battier, and Anthony in exchange for him. I don't know why the Magic would do that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 12:50 PM)
It would be theoretically impossible for the Heat to sign howard as a free agent. They could possibly pull off a sign and trade for him built around everyone on their roster who isn't the big 3. That basically means the Magic would have to accept Miller, Chalmers, Haslam, Battier, and Anthony in exchange for him. I don't know why the Magic would do that.

Apparently in that situation they would amnesty Bosh.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 12:52 PM)

Yeah, the money would still be tight, but if you have Howard, Lebron and Wade you could pick up nothing but d-league scrubs and still win it all.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 01:52 PM)

Even if they were to amnesty Bosh, they cannot get far enough under the cap to even offer a respectable deal to Howard. If they drop Bosh completely, let eveyrone go, and fail to offer team options to people like Chalmers, they still have about $55 million in commitments for next year. They'd need the Magic to be willing to help them out.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 01:02 PM)
Even if they were to amnesty Bosh, they cannot get far enough under the cap to even offer a respectable deal to Howard. If they drop Bosh completely, let eveyrone go, and fail to offer team options to people like Chalmers, they still have about $55 million in commitments for next year. They'd need the Magic to be willing to help them out.

It still pains me that Kahn so mindlessly took Michael f***ing Beasley off the Heat to enable this entire situation.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 03:36 PM)
To elaborate, Asik, Watson, Boozer in a deal for Pau is being thrown around.

OMG, this would be so so so so so so awesome.

There's little chance of the Bulls keeping Omer after this year anyways. As long as Pau doesn't choke in the playoffs like he did last year, we finally have a low scoring big man that we desperately needed last year in the playoffs.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 03:36 PM)
I want me some Pau. But I don't see how Watson & Boozer plus parts work but I'd endorse it. Pau is a stud.

Eh, he's had a subpar year by his standards. Boozer's actually been more efficient than Gasol this season in terms of shooting.

But still, its f***in' Pau Gasol.

Gasol and Noah down low would kick major ass.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 01:39 PM)
Eh, he's had a subpar year by his standards. Boozer's actually been more efficient than Gasol this season in terms of shooting.

But still, its f***in' Pau Gasol.

Gasol and Noah down low would kick major ass.

Its cause the Lakers offense is a mess.