SOXOBAMA's opinion: Payton > Jordan

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 03:33 PM)
Walter Payton was really good. I don't know about best ever though.

I like Jim Brown and Barry Sanders too.

I'm close to 47, and I watched Walter's whole career. He wasn't quite as powerful as Brown or as gracefully elusive as Sanders, but unlike anyone else I have ever seen, he combined the best elements of both. All things considered, I believe he was the greatest running back to ever play in the NFL.

All of that said, Jordan was more dominant.

I consider myself truly fortunate to have seen both win championships and play in their primes.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 04:32 PM)
Wayne Gretzky is the only other athlete that I would argue with MJ on the greatest ever.

I hope you are only thinking the 4 major sports because nobody is better than Dan Gable as an indivdual athlete. He was 345-5 in college and international events. He also never lost in a high school match.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 04:54 PM)
Sure. Wrestling is on par with Lacrosse. Just because you sweat a little doesn't make it a sport.

Lacrosse is a great sport. I knew nothing about it until this year. Any sport where you can legally beat the crap out of someone with a stick is a blast. Watching my 10 year old's team is a lot of fun and takes a heck of a lot more skill than basketball.

By the way do you know who is considered the greastest Lacrosse player ever: Jim Brown. He has been quoted as saying that if there was pro Lacrosse when he came out of Syracuse, he would have played it not football.

You my friend have picked the wrong for which to root. Wrestling and Lacrosse are two of the best.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 04:59 PM)
Lacrosse is a great sport. I knew nothing about it until this year. Any sport where you can legally beat the crap out of someone with a stick is a blast. Watching my 10 year old's team is a lot of fun and takes a heck of a lot more skill than basketball.

By the way do you know who is considered the greastest Lacrosse player ever: Jim Brown. He has been quoted as saying that if there was pro Lacrosse when he came out of Syracuse, he would have played it not football.

You my friend have picked the wrong for which to root. Wrestling and Lacrosse are two of the best.

Wrestling is a joke of a sport and how dare you say it's better than basketball? That's almost as bad as weekly bowlers talking about how not everybody can bowl a 200 game. I know I can. And I don't even bowl.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 03:57 PM)
I actually think Walter has an argument for greatest football player ever.

Yeah he does, Sweetness could block, catch, outsprint you or knock you on your ass.

I 've never seen another RB who could do all that like he did.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 05:05 PM)
Wrestling is a joke of a sport and how dare you say it's better than basketball? That's almost as bad as weekly bowlers talking about how not everybody can bowl a 200 game. I know I can. And I don't even bowl.

I dare say it because it's true. The skill level in basketball does not match wrestling. The physical strength, power and agility combo as well as the strategy and quick thinking on the mental level it takes to wrestle at the collegiate and international level is far and above the corresponding level of basketball. I've worked both sports at those levels and rehabbed athletes at both. There really is no comparison in my opinion.

If you really put wrestling with bowling you have no experience with the sport.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 05:15 PM)
I dare say it because it's true. The skill level in basketball does not match wrestling. The physical strength, power and agility combo as well as the strategy and quick thinking on the mental level it takes to wrestle at the collegiate and international level is far and above the corresponding level of basketball. I've worked both sports at those levels and rehabbed athletes at both. There really is no comparison in my opinion.

You need to stick to sports injuries and steroids. That is just awful.

IMO, MJ is the greatest NBA player ever, all the other players that are mentioned in the GOAT debate (Wilt, KAJ, Bird, Magic) are bigger players, MJ at 6"6 dominated a sport that the rule of thumb was you needed a big man to win, he changed the way the game was played and opened the door for the Kobes, Wades, TMacs of the world.

MJ, greatest ever.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 05:18 PM)
You need to stick to sports injuries and steroids. That is just awful.

Expand your horizon beyond "popular" sports based only around money. There are many better ones out there.

You obviously, have no experince with wrestling at a high level.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 05:19 PM)
Expand your horizon beyond "popular" sports based only around money. There are many better ones out there.

You obviously, have no experince with wrestling at a high level.

No thanks. I've learned over time to pick and choose my message board battles. I'm not going to devote 20+ posts in breaking down why wrestling sucks and is not a true sport, and why basketball requires 20 times more skill. That's just a Baltaesque way of driving up your post count.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 05:54 PM)
Sure. Wrestling is on par with Lacrosse. Just because you sweat a little doesn't make it a sport.

Umm, lacrosse is absolutely a sport. And it's the fastest rising sport in the USA in terms of popularity. You're ridiculous. Don't ever knock lacrosse like that.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 06:33 PM)
No thanks. I've learned over time to pick and choose my message board battles. I'm not going to devote 20+ posts in breaking down why wrestling sucks and is not a true sport, and why basketball requires 20 times more skill. That's just a Baltaesque way of driving up your post count.

Anyone with athleticism can be an NBA player (cough Tyrus f***ing Thomas cough). Not anyone with athleticism can be a wrestler. Get out a little more dude.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 06:43 PM)
There's plenty of dudes with athleticism who never made it to the NBA. This is a ridiculous post.

There's way more skill involved in being a great wrestler. And I've never wrestled a day in my life. I can sure as f*** go out and play a pick up basketball game and kick some ass though.