Is PK close to retirement?

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 05:00 PM)
Seems every year since '05 the Sox have guys planning retirements or looking to move on. Guillen, Buehrle, Williams, Konerko. There's something not right about that.

You mean Buehrle who wanted to leave so bad, he tried to get the Sox to offer him a contract? Same with Guillen. Or KOnerko who signed a four year extension?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 05:00 PM)
Seems every year since '05 the Sox have guys planning retirements or looking to move on. Guillen, Buehrle, Williams, Konerko. There's something not right about that.

It seems to me it means we've managed to keep a core group for more than a couple years.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 06:45 PM)
I would not be down with AJ getting a statue, if he got one than we might as well give them to everyone.

You mean all those players who were with the Sox from 2005-2011? How many of those are there?

Oh yeah: Konerko, Buehrle, AJ and Ozzie.

Seems like AJ fits to me.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 11:14 AM)
Last player manager we had was Don Kessinger I think. That was a different time, but didn't work out well. However, Paulie is aspecial player and man. Maybe one day he wil manage, but I am guessing two more years of playing time and maybe another two as a DH, if he would do that. Hopefully all those yeasr in a Sox uniform

I thought the last player/manager was Pete Rose in the mid 80's for the Reds?

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 09:03 PM)
You mean all those players who were with the Sox from 2005-2011? How many of those are there?

Oh yeah: Konerko, Buehrle, AJ and Ozzie.

Seems like AJ fits to me.

The only year that mattered in that time was 2005 so I don't know why it matters that he stayed from 2006-2011 with multiple failed seasons. Should Joe Crede get a statue too since he was here from 2000-2008 and lets give statues to Jon Garland and Juan Uribe too since they spent a lot of time with Wsox too.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 07:45 AM)
The only year that mattered in that time was 2005 so I don't know why it matters that he stayed from 2006-2011 with multiple failed seasons. Should Joe Crede get a statue too since he was here from 2000-2008 and lets give statues to Jon Garland and Juan Uribe too since they spent a lot of time with Wsox too.

Well, AJ arguably singlehandedly decided the pivotal game in the 2005 ALCS with hustle, for one thing.

I also think his statistics with the white sox are considerably better than Crede, Uribe and Garland, especially considering how he handles a staff/calls a game, which is why I think he deserves a statue over them.

Was 2008 a failure? Huh. I guess every season except 2005 is a failure, then. Let's take all the rest of the statues down.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 10:27 AM)
Well, AJ arguably singlehandedly decided the pivotal game in the 2005 ALCS with hustle, for one thing.

I also think his statistics with the white sox are considerably better than Crede, Uribe and Garland, especially considering how he handles a staff/calls a game, which is why I think he deserves a statue over them.

Was 2008 a failure? Huh. I guess every season except 2005 is a failure, then. Let's take all the rest of the statues down.

None of those guys deserves a statue either.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 07:15 AM)
Frank Thomas says Yo! :headbang

We forget he was on that team.

it does slip my mind from time to time, but he already got his statue anyway. Plus, his career is on such a higher level than the other two, his worthiness for a statue is not even up for discussion it's so obvious.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 10:27 AM)

His calling a game is greatly overrated, I think people hear Hawk say it enough times and it sticks. He hasn't been better than any of those 3 players listed and Crede had that big HR late in the season to insure we didn't collapse in the end of the season and AJ got on 1B by an umpire error not too mention the Angels were on their 3rd or 4th bp arm while we still had Buehrle going in that game I was pretty confident. But if we are going to give everyone who contributed in the postseason lets go ahead and give Podsenick, Blum, and Dye statues too.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 11:14 AM)
His calling a game is greatly overrated, I think people hear Hawk say it enough times and it sticks. He hasn't been better than any of those 3 players listed and Crede had that big HR late in the season to insure we didn't collapse in the end of the season and AJ got on 1B by an umpire error not too mention the Angels were on their 3rd or 4th bp arm while we still had Buehrle going in that game I was pretty confident. But if we are going to give everyone who contributed in the postseason lets go ahead and give Podsenick, Blum, and Dye statues too.

That's the thing, the 2005 team already has their statue right in front of the stadium, and a banner up in the lights. When it comes to individual players, you should have to be a White Sox legend for a whole career, not just one season. That's why Frank has one already, and Mark & PK probably deserve one, no one else from this era though.

(I always get statue & statute confused spelling-wise!)

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 12:14 PM)

Jesus. Do you get that I'm actually taking into account the whole picture? People keep nit-picking one aspect of this and then throwing out other names.

Name another player that:

1) spent 8 years with the White Sox, including 2005

2) had the impact AJ did on a pivotal playoff game

3) put up similar overall statistics, given his position (this is where he differs greatly from Crede)

Does ANYONE else fit that bill?

If anyone else deserves a statue from this era, it's AJ. Whether or not you think he deserves that is entirely subjective. I happen to think he does.

3) put up similar overall statistics, given his position (this is where he differs greatly from Crede)

#3 - statistics... i mean "given his position" is already taking it out of what-deserves-a-statue realm. He's fine as a hitting catcher. Merely decent since he's allergic to taking a walk.

and then #2 is too small to matter for high honors. statue is career achievement

#1 i'll give you. And I'll get Pat Mannelly a space outside Soldier Field while i'm at it

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 11:41 AM)
Jesus. Do you get that I'm actually taking into account the whole picture? People keep nit-picking one aspect of this and then throwing out other names.

Does ANYONE else fit that bill?

If anyone else deserves a statue from this era, it's AJ. Whether or not you think he deserves that is entirely subjective. I happen to think he does.

If AJ gets a statue it diminishes every other person that has gotten that honor as a White Sox and that's as far as I'll go on that subject. I'd be perfectly ok with Konerko/Buehrle getting statues too.

[/color]

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 11:59 AM)
If AJ gets a statue it diminishes every other person that has gotten that honor as a White Sox and that's as far as I'll go on that subject. I'd be perfectly ok with Konerko/Buehrle getting statues too.

How about we take a section of seating out and put up statues of everone who might be considered for a statue Blum should have one too.

QUOTE (IowanSoxFan @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 02:02 PM)
Should be.

Of course. Let's put it this way...if any Yankees player hit 500 homers without a sniff of PED talk in a Yankees uniform would he get in? Of course.

Add to it the leadership of Konerko and an ALCS MVP, he'd get it.

4 more seasons averaging 28 homers will get him to 500 in a Sox uniform. That is, if he signed an extension after 2013. I hope it happens.