Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 12, 2012 -> 11:46 AM)
That's a bunch of BS. ND's defense would keep them in the game against anybody.

Sorry, a team that struggles with Michigan, Purdue, BYU, and Pittsburgh doesn't get to use the argument they would stay in the game vs anyone. I honestly hope they get into the national championship game just so Oregon can stomp them.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 12, 2012 -> 11:46 AM)

They have only played one good offense all year, but they did shut them down.

The game at the Coliseum in two weeks will be telling.

Sorry, a team that struggles with Michigan, Purdue, BYU, and Pittsburgh doesn't get to use the argument they would stay in the game vs anyone. I honestly hope they get into the national championship game just so Oregon can stomp them.

They get to if they understand anything about football. Margin of victory, especially for a team whose strength is their defense, doesn't really mean a lot.

I've watched a couple of Oregon's games. Their QB wouldn't have all day to throw like he has every game so far this year.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 12, 2012 -> 12:46 PM)

False.

I get that it's not their fault and the teams on their schedule are often good or very good. But this year they flat out stink. When you need to get bailed out by the refs and a missed 35 yard FG to beat Pitt (at home), struggle with BYU (at home) and Purdue (at home) and win unconvincingly over BC, MSU and Michigan (at home), I find it hard to believe they'd fare much better against the teams I listed.

Their win @ Oklahoma is a great win, but the scoreline is deceptive. Oklahoma is also greatly overrated since Landry Jones has been pretty mediocre this year. Their best showing is arguably blowing out Miami, which is nothing to scoff at.

Their defense is very good, but I would not say their "defense would keep them in the game against anybody" after seeing them barely be tested. I honestly don't know how they are going to stop Marqise Lee. And I don't think they'd have any answer for Oregon's offense, or K-State or TAMU's QBs either. I could be wrong, but with what I've seen this year with my eyes, ND is more like a 10-12 team. I'd make them the underdog against at least that many teams on a neutral field.

Yes, I get is, the teams ND beat stink because ND beat them, and Oregon is so awesome racking up huge wins against Cal and Colorado.

And Oklahoma was a great win for KSU and Stanford will be a great win for Oregon, but those same teams were overrated when ND beat them.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

Yeah and no one has said that either, but ok.

True, Oregon has not played anyone really either, but if you watch the games, they look a lot more impressive every time they take the field.

Kansas State's last 4 weeks have been quite impressive, so you can't really use that argument for them.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 12, 2012 -> 04:11 PM)
Almost every highlight of an Oregon passing TD I see has the QB sitting in the pocket having a cup of coffee before throwing the ball. That isn't a luxury he'll get against good defenses.

Not arguing that point, but they throw a ton of screens and slants and hand offs to Barner/Thomas a lot so you're clearly not seeing a bunch of their highlights where that isn't the case as well

Edit: You specifically said passing TD, so ignore the handoff part. But that also doesnt discount how good their backfield is, including Mariotta.

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

Not arguing that point, but they throw a ton of screens and slants and hand offs to Barner/Thomas a lot so you're clearly not seeing a bunch of their highlights where that isn't the case as well

Edit: You specifically said passing TD, so ignore the handoff part. But that also doesnt discount how good their backfield is, including Mariotta.

Yes, the backfield is good, but how good? They are facing terrible defenses. I want to see what they do with Stanford.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 12, 2012 -> 04:19 PM)
Yes, the backfield is good, but how good? They are facing terrible defenses. I want to see what they do with Stanford.

I honestly don't think Stanford will handle them. Stanford is constructed to beat USC, not a team like Oregon. Obviously, it's college football and anything can happen, but Stanford just doesn't have the athletes to contain Oregon IMO. I think Oregon's toughest game left is at OSU

Even before last weekend, Manziel should have been in the top 3 for Heisman with Klein and Barner. The whole idea of not giving the Heisman to a freshman is ridiculous, especially one on pace to put up better numbers than Tebow did during his Heisman year and Newton during his (in the same conference). Mariota should probably be 3rd in the Heisman race after Klein and Manziel, as he runs that Oregon offense better than any of the other stud QBs they've had. The fact people consider Te'o a legitimate contender is ridiculous, as I would say that he's probably not even the best defensive player on his team (Tuitt or Nix) and was pretty much non-existent for a majority of the last two games.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Nov 12, 2012 -> 12:24 PM)

Actually your post made his argument. It's ND's offense that struggles. It is their defense that keeps them in position to win those close games.

My thinking is that while ND's defense is very good it would eventually crack against a team that has a dominant offense and a good enough defense to keep the ND offense off the field most of the night. Even the best defenses break down when TOP lands them on the field a large portion of the game. The Michigan game is a prime example. Michigan outgained ND for the game and won the TOP battle. Michigan had drives of 10, 14 and 11 plays in the 2nd half. If Michigan didn't throw 5 interceptions and fumble the ball at the ND 8 yard line, ND doesn't win that game. Their defense doesn't look so good.

My point is not that Michigan is better (they aren't), but that a more efficient offense without a plethora of TO's, combined with a defense that wins the TOP battle will wear ND down and IMO mean a double digit loss for the Irish. If those things don't happen and ND's offense gets rolling, then who knows what can happen.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Nov 12, 2012 -> 12:24 PM)

IN 2002 I watched a team struggle with Illinois, Purdue, Michigan etc and then face what many were calling one of the most unstoppable forces in college football history.

You cannot definitively say they wont win because of who they've faced previously.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 12, 2012 -> 03:11 PM)
Almost every highlight of an Oregon passing TD I see has the QB sitting in the pocket having a cup of coffee before throwing the ball. That isn't a luxury he'll get against good defenses.

And to add on to this too, I've seen my underdog team go up against their unstoppable and possibly superior to this year's roster and shut them down with a dominant defense. Matchups are matchups. I think there will be 2 undefeated teams left and they will face off. Well, undefeated teams that arent on probation ;-)

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 12, 2012 -> 10:27 PM)
IN 2002 I watched a team struggle with Illinois, Purdue, Michigan etc and then face what many were calling one of the most unstoppable forces in college football history.

You cannot definitively say they wont win because of who they've faced previously.

This post makes me sad. Not because of the loss and the one person who kept that team from winning the title(Larry Coker, not the ref) but how far they've fallen from horrible coaching hires.

But as we've seen, in a one game setting with weeks of prep, anyone can win 1 game. Everyone had FSU beating OU in 2000, Miami beating OSU in 2002, OU beating LSU in 2003?, Rams over Patriots, Patriots over Giants. Just has happened too many times to think it would be a cakewalk for the favored team.

Plus given there is a 5 week break, I think ND would match up better against Oregon that K-State. Oregon is all about finesse and timing so the long layoff plus prep time could really get them out of whack. K-State being more of a power team probably should be able to overcome the layoff better.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 12, 2012 -> 10:05 PM)
This post makes me sad. Not because of the loss and the one person who kept that team from winning the title(Larry Coker, not the ref) but how far they've fallen from horrible coaching hires.

But as we've seen, in a one game setting with weeks of prep, anyone can win 1 game. Everyone had FSU beating OU in 2000, Miami beating OSU in 2002, OU beating LSU in 2003?, Rams over Patriots, Patriots over Giants. Just has happened too many times to think it would be a cakewalk for the favored team.

Plus given there is a 5 week break, I think ND would match up better against Oregon that K-State. Oregon is all about finesse and timing so the long layoff plus prep time could really get them out of whack. K-State being more of a power team probably should be able to overcome the layoff better.

LOL, in hindsight both teams had a ridiculous amount of NFL talent on them, but before the game there was probably 3 people in the country that thought OSU had a chance. Before the 2010 Rose Bowl all I heard about was Oregon's speed and we completely slobber knocked the s*** out of them. Nobody has the ability to declare anyone the winner before they play the game. But once again I think this will all shake out anyway.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 12:45 PM)
LOL, in hindsight both teams had a ridiculous amount of NFL talent on them, but before the game there was probably 3 people in the country that thought OSU had a chance. Before the 2010 Rose Bowl all I heard about was Oregon's speed and we completely slobber knocked the s*** out of them. Nobody has the ability to declare anyone the winner before they play the game. But once again I think this will all shake out anyway.

The defensive talent in that game was absolutely disgusting.

For some reason I'm thinking Oregon runs the table, USC beats ND and Texas beats KSU. Hello SEC title game winner.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 09:09 PM)
For some reason I'm thinking Oregon runs the table, USC beats ND and Texas beats KSU. Hello SEC title game winner.

I don't see how Texas beats K State with Texas having a s***ty QB and all. K State is the biggest favorite to go undefeated.

I have a friend who knows some advance scouts at ND who had been scouting potential bowl matchups and they told him Alabama would have been a much easier matchup for ND than KSU or Oregon, and it wasn't even close. They'll take a loss by any team ahead of them but they were really hoping the other two would lose and Alabama would win out.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 07:46 AM)
I have a friend who knows some advance scouts at ND who had been scouting potential bowl matchups and they told him Alabama would have been a much easier matchup for ND than KSU or Oregon, and it wasn't even close. They'll take a loss by any team ahead of them but they were really hoping the other two would lose and Alabama would win out.

I can actually see that. Bama's offense is the worst out of the three. ND could have possibly gotten away with scoring 17 or less and still have a chance