Cool sketch of Comiskey from the 40's

southsider2k5

I honestly wonder if I'll get another Sox park in my lifetime.

I'm 28 now and the park will be turning 21 this season. How many years does it have left before it becomes old and outdated? In the years since '91 it seems like EVERY team has gotten new modern parks built. After Jerry dies and the lease runs up will the White Sox get a new stadium? 30 years from now? 40? Or does US cellular (or whatever it may be called in a few decades) be one of the oldest parks in baseball?

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 02:19 PM)
I honestly wonder if I'll get another Sox park in my lifetime.

I'm 28 now and the park will be turning 21 this season. How many years does it have left before it becomes old and outdated? In the years since '91 it seems like EVERY team has gotten new modern parks built. After Jerry dies and the lease runs up will the White Sox get a new stadium? 30 years from now? 40? Or does US cellular (or whatever it may be called in a few decades) be one of the oldest parks in baseball?

I'm betting that by the time thwe Cell is replaceed, you'll have nostaglic feelings for it like I do Comiskey and you'll hate see it go.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 12:22 PM)
I'm betting that by the time thwe Cell is replaceed, you'll have nostaglic feelings for it like I do Comiskey and you'll hate see it go.

Maybe. Not living in Chicago and only sporadically getting to the Cell every few years might hurt that. Plus what if the new Park is a modern marvel? Haha

QUOTE (YASNY @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 02:22 PM)

I know I would.

But come on, it's not that old and the recent renovations have done a lot

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 02:28 PM)
I love this part a lot after their renovations. It is a whole new park versus the POS that was there in 1991.

No doubt. I still have a framed picture of the new stadium from when it first opened up. I bought it at Grand Stand thinking that it'd be cool to have in my room. I look at it now and it's laughable.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 01:22 PM)

Absolutely true! As much as I loved old Comiskey, I have many many fond memories of the Cell. It's where I introduced my kids to the White Sox and they love it every bit as much as I loved the old park. I have incredibly warm feelings and memories of taking my son to his first game. It's just about as special for me as when I went to my first game. And for crissakes the Cell will forever be associated with a World Series winner (and hopefully more!). And what memories all that entails.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 02:54 PM)
Am I the only one that has no recollection of his first Sox game? The best I can do is remember the first game I went to without adults.

I remember mine well.

Upper Deck of the old park. My mom was about 6 months pregnant with my little brother and passed out from the heat.

Am I the only one that has no recollection of his first Sox game? The best I can do is remember the first game I went to without adults.

How old were you? I can totally understand if you were just a little s***. Although I became a hardcore fan when I was 6, I never went to a game until I was 12 (1962).

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 03:07 PM)
How old were you? I can totally understand if you were just a little s***. Although I became a hardcore fan when I was 6, I never went to a game until I was 12 (1962).

I couldn't even venture a guess. I would bet that I was brought to a few games a year since I was able to walk.

The cartoon is a great find. Looking at center field reminded me how much I wish they had found a way to orient the Cell in the other direction, with a glimpse of downtown beyond the outfield walls. On the other hand, Frank Thomas would have probably hit a lot fewer home runs if the Cell faced north and didn't have those outfield upper decks Comiskey had. I too think an upper deck in right field at the Cell would be sweet.

I was 3. Frank Thomas hit a bomb. I thought it went out of the entire stadium. We were sitting lower deck, between first and home.

I know nothing else. Only Frank Thomas was the s***.

I remember mine. It was the first year new Comiskey opened, and my uncle got a bunch of tickets. I came away from that game with like 10 White Sox collector's cups. It was tight. I was a dumb little kid.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 03:25 PM)
I remember mine. It was the first year new Comiskey opened, and my uncle got a bunch of tickets. I came away from that game with like 10 White Sox collector's cups. It was tight. I was a dumb little kid.

Not so dumb. Those cups were cool and I still have and use a couple of them.