Andrew Breitbart died

StrangeSox

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When someone dies in battle we risk lives to bring their bodies out. Seems like we can show that sort of respect by allowing the body to cool before offering a retrospective. I guess I should highlight by that I mean positive or negative.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 04:31 PM)
I don't call that Frum article "criticism". It is way past that, into gloating and raging asshole-ism. "Honest" in this case has everything to do with which side of the aisle you stand on, and the ability to justify doing the same thing without feeling any guilt for it.

To me, they were both poisonous.

You know who Frum is though? Right? He's not exactly some DailyKos-posting liberal

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 04:23 PM)
David Frum acknowledging that Breitbart had negative, public attributes: left wing vitriol.

Is there a cosmic need for someone to pretend that didn't have many issues with Breitbart?

lol. I'd call alluding that Breitbart led to the collapse of decency in the political system leading to the worst atmosphere in 2 centuries as some political left wing lunatic BS.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 03:34 PM)
If I understand Y2HH and SS2K5's posts correctly, they would say that verbalizing "fair and valid" criticism is inherently mean spirited if the person just died (and feel free to correct me if I misinterpreted ya'll). I'm just saying that, while I agree with that staying silent out of respect for the loved ones is appropriate, I can certainly understand if some people choose to answer the question of, "How do I properly show respect for the death of a person who, in life, I thought was a terrible individual?" with "Well, he relinquished that right to respect when he denied another that same right."

Then you obviously don't understand. Or, the more likely scenario, you don't really want too.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 07:06 PM)
btw, Taibbi's piece, now there's a raging asshole.

Yeah, I don't mind some of his stuff, but he tends to rate too high on the douche-o-meter.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 07:19 PM)
Then you obviously don't understand. Or, the more likely scenario, you don't really want too.

Then enlighten me. Do you not think it's inherently mean-spirited to criticize someone immediately after their death? Because that seems to be the most basic distinction happening here. That was the only thing I was ascribing to you (while imploring you to please correct me if I was wrong); the second half of the paragraph was where I addressed the distinction I could understand, but was not ascribing that to you.

That's twice now you've made conclusions that I'm secretly spewing some vitriol Breitbart's way without saying what gives you that inclination, aside from the brief bit about "the more I defend..." which leads back to my earlier question -- is it not possible to defend a view point while thinking said view point is entirely off base?

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 07:52 PM)
Yeah, I don't mind some of his stuff, but he tends to rate too high on the douche-o-meter.

Then enlighten me. Do you not think it's inherently mean-spirited to criticize someone immediately after their death? Because that seems to be the most basic distinction happening here. That was the only thing I was ascribing to you (while imploring you to please correct me if I was wrong); the second half of the paragraph was where I addressed the distinction I could understand, but was not ascribing that to you.

That's twice now you've made conclusions that I'm secretly spewing some vitriol Breitbart's way without saying what gives you that inclination, aside from the brief bit about "the more I defend..." which leads back to my earlier question -- is it not possible to defend a view point while thinking said view point is entirely off base?

Sounds like some of the conversations got crossed here, so I apologize for my previous statement.

To be clear, I think it's wrong to celebrate the death of another person in a, "good, I'm glad their dead", sort of way. Especially when the reason why boils down to them having a different set of religious/political opinions than you (and in this case, this is exactly what's going on). That reason aside, justifying it by saying, "well...they did the same thing to so and so", is no justification. It makes you and the other people that partake in that sort of nonsense just as hateful/bad.

Edit: Oh, and if you find yourself defending others with that same justification, it again makes you just as bad.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 08:19 AM)
Sounds like some of the conversations got crossed here, so I apologize for my previous statement.

To be clear, I think it's wrong to celebrate the death of another person in a, "good, I'm glad their dead", sort of way. Especially when the reason why boils down to them having a different set of religious/political opinions than you (and in this case, this is exactly what's going on). That reason aside, justifying it by saying, "well...they did the same thing to so and so", is no justification. It makes you and the other people that partake in that sort of nonsense just as hateful/bad.

Edit: Oh, and if you find yourself defending others with that same justification, it again makes you just as bad.

I was only speaking of people who were (validly) criticizing someone who recently died; sorry if it sounded like I meant the "Good, I'm glad he's dead" people, and I could see how it did. That I find much more abhorrent, and wouldn't defend it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 07:26 PM)
lol. I'd call alluding that Breitbart led to the collapse of decency in the political system leading to the worst atmosphere in 2 centuries as some political left wing lunatic BS.

You do realize that you called a speechwriter for Bush 43 and the head of the Republican Jewish Coalition a left wing lunatic, right?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 01:34 PM)
Apparently there's a growing conspiracy at foot that someone (OBAMA!!!) murdered Breitbart.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Actually, the real story is Obama called Bush, asked him how he pulled off 9/11, and Bush gave him pointers on how to get Breitbart. I don't see why you don't understand this is fact.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 01:56 PM)
Actually, the real story is Obama called Bush, asked him how he pulled off 9/11, and Bush gave him pointers on how to get Breitbart. I don't see why you don't understand this is fact.

:lol:

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 01:34 PM)
Apparently there's a growing conspiracy at foot that someone (OBAMA!!!) murdered Breitbart.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

I guess when drunkard Randi Rhodes falls on her face but blames Rethuglicans for it, and the liberal media and blogs run with it like a dog with a steak, anything can get traction. Now, if they guy currently in possession of the Obama videos has some sort of 'accident' before they are released.......

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Mar 4, 2012 -> 12:13 PM)
I guess when drunkard Randi Rhodes falls on her face but blames Rethuglicans for it, and the liberal media and blogs run with it like a dog with a steak, anything can get traction. Now, if they guy currently in possession of the Obama videos has some sort of 'accident' before they are released.......

Please just stop. This makes absolutely no sense.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 4, 2012 -> 12:17 PM)
Please just stop. This makes absolutely no sense.

Your post acts as if just now, for the first time, someone had a conspiracy theory. Get real, they are all over. Truthers, birthers, randi, stories about how Clinton killed some cabinet members top shut them up. But OMG, some lunies think Breitbart may have been killed for political reasons and the world is just too much for you.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Mar 4, 2012 -> 12:33 PM)
Your post acts as if just now, for the first time, someone had a conspiracy theory. Get real, they are all over. Truthers, birthers, randi, stories about how Clinton killed some cabinet members top shut them up. But OMG, some lunies think Breitbart may have been killed for political reasons and the world is just too much for you.

I was making fun of dumb conspiracy nutters like Alex Jones. I'm not sure why you took offense?

By the way, that line was from Futurama.

RIP

HAMILTON NEEDS TO GET HEALTHY!! WE NEED YA, PLAYBOY!

Edited by MexSoxFan#1