Trayvon Martin

StrangeSox

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 17, 2014 -> 03:31 PM)
Really? What's the point of ever charging someone for anything less than 1st degree murder then?

That makes sense because it's a lesser included charge. Not sure of the elements for 2nd degree attempted murder.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Feb 17, 2014 -> 03:38 PM)
That makes sense because it's a lesser included charge. Not sure of the elements for 2nd degree attempted murder.

These verdicts don't make any sense then. How can they find him guilty of attempted murder three times (implying that they didn't buy his self defense arguments and that the shootings were unjustified) but then not find him guilty of at least manslaughter when the 4th kid was shot and ends up dead?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 17, 2014 -> 03:55 PM)
These verdicts don't make any sense then. How can they find him guilty of attempted murder three times (implying that they didn't buy his self defense arguments and that the shootings were unjustified) but then not find him guilty of at least manslaughter when the 4th kid was shot and ends up dead?

I meant that 2nd degree murder was a lesser included offense, he was convicted of 2nd degree attempted murder.

And as to your question...I don't know. Honestly haven't followed it closely enough to know the details.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 17, 2014 -> 10:55 PM)

Completely agree. But apparently there was a handful of jurors that would not vote him guilty. "Sure sure, he tried to kill the 3 kids, but he didn't have anything to do with the kid who ended up dead! See what I'm sayin? Perfect sense".

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 17, 2014 -> 04:05 PM)
Completely agree. But apparently there was a handful of jurors that would not vote him guilty. "Sure sure, he tried to kill the 3 kids, but he didn't have anything to do with the kid who ended up dead! See what I'm sayin? Perfect sense".

The only thing I can think of is that the one who died was the one who had the shotgun, or appeared to have the shotgun, so it was arguable that the self defense theory applied. But the other three were sort of out of the picture and were shot just because they also happened to be in the car.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Feb 17, 2014 -> 09:46 PM)
Wow are you kidding me? That's so tactless.

They're not exact recreations, just close enough to remind you of the real events.

The Trayvon Martin one involved a young black kid in a hoodie. A white woman coming home thought he was a mugger and shot him. Then there was a big trial about it being self defense or murder.

The Ariel Castro one could have been almost any SVU episode - some guy was keeping 3 girls in his basement, and had a child with one of them.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 17, 2014 -> 04:23 PM)
The only thing I can think of is that the one who died was the one who had the shotgun, or appeared to have the shotgun, so it was arguable that the self defense theory applied. But the other three were sort of out of the picture and were shot just because they also happened to be in the car.

That's essentially what one of the questions the jury asked of the judge implied they were thinking.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 12:16 PM)
Hence the standard that he only reasonably needed to believe he saw a shotgun in order to justify opening fire in that direction.

That's not the standard.

The standard is whether Dunn reasonably believed that he had to use deadly force to prevent immediate harm/death. Seeing a gun does not automatically create a fear of immediate harm/death.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 01:38 PM)
That's not the standard.

The standard is whether Dunn reasonably believed that he had to use deadly force to prevent immediate harm/death. Seeing a gun does not automatically create a fear of immediate harm/death.

"or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony." You missed the nice, vague, catch-all at the end.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 12:54 PM)
"or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony." You missed the nice, vague, catch-all at the end.

It's not vague at all - it's defined: “Forcible felony” means treason; murder; manslaughter; sexual battery; carjacking; home-invasion robbery; robbery; burglary; arson; kidnapping; aggravated assault; aggravated battery; aggravated stalking; aircraft piracy; unlawful throwing, placing, or discharging of a destructive device or bomb; and any other felony which involves the use or threat of physical force or violence against any individual.

Which of those applies to this scenario? And did Dunn even make this argument or are you just making this up to further the "OMG GUNS, EVERYONE DIES! narrative? I'm pretty sure he argued self-defense.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 02:10 PM)
It's not vague at all - it's defined: “Forcible felony” means treason; murder; manslaughter; sexual battery; carjacking; home-invasion robbery; robbery; burglary; arson; kidnapping; aggravated assault; aggravated battery; aggravated stalking; aircraft piracy; unlawful throwing, placing, or discharging of a destructive device or bomb; and any other felony which involves the use or threat of physical force or violence against any individual.

Which of those applies to this scenario? And did Dunn even make this argument or are you just making this up to further the "OMG GUNS, EVERYONE DIES! narrative? I'm pretty sure he argued self-defense.

And it worked.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 01:25 PM)
"God damn laws and trials and people having different opinions! I read the internet, dammit. I know what happened that night. My opinion that he is guilty is the only acceptable conclusion!" - Balta

:lol:

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 01:25 PM)
"God damn laws and trials and people having different opinions! I read the internet, dammit. I know what happened that night. My opinion that he is guilty is the only acceptable conclusion!" - Balta

This thread is over.

I don't care who posts beyond this point, or how lucid your thoughts may be, down went Frazier, down went Frazier, down ... went ... Frazier.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
And it really didn't work. He was still convicted of three counts of attempted murder. And the murder charge was as mistrial, not a not guilty verdict. They'll try again.

He wasn't convicted. He murdered a kid and wasn't convicted.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 02:25 PM)

Thankfully this only goes one way right?