This will cheer you up if you are down about Cotts

Tom Glavine's Big League Debut numbers

3.2 IP 10 H 6 ER 5 BB 1 K

I think his control has improved a little huh?

Maybe our lefty minor league ace will have the same kind of improvement!

Go Cotts, we're cheering for you buddy!

That doesn't surprised me, but Glavine just got shelled. 10 hits, Cotts didn't give up many hits.

that just shows Cotts is already better at getting hitters out, now just imagine if he could keep the ball over homeplate

This guy had no business being in the big leagues today.  I am not saying he will not make it but he throws too many pitches.  AA guys do not make it to the big leagues by drawing walks and pitchers should not amke it by walking them.

Ya think??? LOL, people with baseball knowledge saw this coming. Good luck to Neil in the future. :headbang

that just shows Cotts is already better at getting hitters out, now just imagine if he could keep the ball over homeplate

That was my point and my thinking. I was impressed by him because I think he was inconsistent with finishing his pitches or whatever the problem was. His stuff was working when he was getting them over the plate. All he needs is to have a pitching coach work with him on finishing his pitches.

His release point seemed to be way off, but I would chalk that up to nerves and his long travel. Plus Sandy didn't set up for anything over the plate to help him out.

I hope they give him a second chance. He should be a lot more relaxed with his debut out of the way. And Wright looked better out of the pen than as a starter. In 5 days, Wright could back Cotts up again if he needs it.

bad night turned out ok.

think of how much worse it would have been if the Sox had lost the game -- and the chance to make up ground on KC and Minny.

At least now he should be able to laugh about it and relax a bit.

to me, the problem was Cotts initially couldn't get his curve or change over. So he was just throwing fastballs. He's smart enough to realize you can't do that against good hitters -- at any level.

So he seemd to try to overcompensate by throwing as hard as he could. he wasn't finishing his delivery and consistently left the ball high and outside.

is that fixable? Sure.

Is it fixable in the middle of a big-league pennant race? Not so sure.

So did Glavine...

Very true. But thank God JM gave Cotts the hook at the appropriate time considering JM usually make the move sometimes too early but usually too late.

And comparing Cotts to Glavine is, once again, putting some lofty expectations on a kid who jumped from AA staright to the ML's.

Glavine struggled his entire first year. Unfortunately the Sox brutal play in the first half leaves no room for any "growing pains" for Cotts. You can't make a conclusion on a guys entire career after just one start, that would be assanine. It would also be assanine to throw him out there again if they really need a win. His next start would be against Texas, a pretty good offensive team, that will make him throw strikes. I think they should put him in the bullpen and try to get his feet wet there. They told him Sunday he was coming up, maybe he had too much time to think about his debut.

Cotts is going to be fine. As long a no one holds him up to Prior/Willis comparisons.

He has control problems - some of the balls were nerves, but chalk most of the wildness to mechanics. He was pushing the ball when he lost the strike zone.

What I like is his stuff. It's major league. The change up off his sneaky 90+ fastball is a great pitch when he gets it over - dare I say better than Buerhle's. And if he can throw that sharp breaking pitch for strikes in and out - he'll dominate. His delivery is what makes him tough, it's short and fluid, probably hard to time, because he's through it so quick, that fastball is on you before you know it. That sets up that change, which because of the speedy delivery, makes the pitch even more deceptive.

Give him another start.

Liked what Wright did last night. And maybe that is where he really belongs. He deserves a shot at the rotation next spring - but he look likes he could be a strong presence in the bullpen.