The Miami Marlins thread

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 10:57 AM)
lol @ "not aj pierzynski"s convo. with oney : @Oneyguillen remember when I did your girlfriend in the dugout...are you still mad about that? ‪, oney: lol no. and then he told oney to not forget to vote for peavy and he said f* that

oh and according to oney "in baseball. first half doesnt mean much. july aug sept thats those tough days. not a sprint. marathon" idiot, i guess the marlins enjoy being 9 games out or whatever they are :)

hey Oney, it is hard to win a marathon when your shoelaces are tied together.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 03:52 PM)
Yes but players always say "the attitude is so much better this year."

"things are so much better this year."

I guarantee if you ask, "Oh, so what needed changing last year?" Then they won't come up with anything.

It's on the players.

It's not like Ozzie is some buffoon like Bevington. He's a WS winning manager. His time ran out in Chicagoo, but he's still a good manager.

They don't say anything about Ozzie because they don't want to start another snipe fest with him. Read between the lines and understand what is getting said every time you hear Sox players talking about what is better this year. If they are talking about doing something different, that means it wasn't happening this year. So when they talk about drills for holding players on, rundown techniques, cut off men, etc, that means Guillen wasn't doing any of it. THAT is what is different. When they talk about how Robin's attitude is so refreshing, that means it wasn't like that last year. THOSE are the things that are different.

Can we just change the name of this thread to "Everyone argues with greg about whether or not Ozzie sucks" and then start a new Miami Marlins thread? I would like to be able to ask if anyone is going to see MB pitch on Thursday at Wrigley, but I'm not going to because the answers will be too hard to find between "Ozzie sucks" "Ozzie sucks" "No he doesn't" "Yes he does" "Yes he does" etc etc etc.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 11:19 AM)
Can we just change the name of this thread to "Everyone argues with greg about whether or not Ozzie sucks" and then start a new Miami Marlins thread? I would like to be able to ask if anyone is going to see MB pitch on Thursday at Wrigley, but I'm not going to because the answers will be too hard to find between "Ozzie sucks" "Ozzie sucks" "No he doesn't" "Yes he does" "Yes he does" etc etc etc.

Just ask here: http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...0&start=800

Some of us find the bantering entertaining.

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 11:19 AM)

He's pitching on thursday? f*** yeah Ill go.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 11:31 AM)
Just ask here: http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...0&start=800

Some of us find the bantering entertaining.

Well I did too for quite a while actually. But it has turned into ESPN here, where there is a lot to talk about, but everyone keeps talking about about the same thing over and over again making the same points. Tebow, Yankees, Tebow, Red Sox, Tebow, Yankees, Lebron, Lebron, Lebron.

Ozzie in a nutshell

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/...en-never-ending

As he entered the event, Guillen told an ESPN employee he was going to stiff the local media that was waiting for him, because "I'm here for you." But when he saw the cameras, Guillen talked. He always talks; that's why we, the media, loved him. I told him we'd have to rent out a local bar for his post-game at Wrigley when comes there in July.

But he reiterated an earlier idea that he might boycott the local media when he comes back with the Marlins. I rolled my eyes. Guillen caught me.

"Oh, I should talk?" he said.

No, I replied. You don't have to talk, but you will. I'm not convinced he won't.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 04:02 PM)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/colum...,3147892.column

Phil Rogers fires the first warning shot across the bow.

Poor, Greg.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/...go-chicago-cubs

Ozzie on reaction waiting for him, Zambrano and Buehrle

Digital membership to read articles on teh Trib site? f*** that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 07:10 PM)
Digital membership to read articles on teh Trib site? f*** that.

It's just an e-mail address and password.

Same for the NY Times.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/videogallery...turn-to-Chicago

Ozzie video. Calls "Alex Rios his great friend" and goes on and on praising Adam Dunn for dealing with adversity of 2011. Apparently, he went out with AJ for a couple of beers during the All-Star Break. Called Konerko. Still in touch with Baines, etc.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/videogallery...ning-to-Chicago

Buehrle on returning to Chicago, what he misses and doesn't miss, Zambrano as a teammate, JR sitting him down 2 months before the end of the season and thanking him pre-emptively if things weren't to work out for him to stay with the Sox.

Edited by caulfield12

"To be honest, whatever people say about me and the White Sox, I am a true White Sox," Guillen said in his first professional return to Chicago since his exit two games before the end of last season. "Put it this way, 21 years with the same organization. Nobody can say (expletive) about me in the White Sox organization. Nobody. I am a true White Sox. I spent more years in the White Sox than anybody out there. The White Sox will always be in my heart."

Kenny: 3 years as a player, 20 years working in the organization. 23 years.

Coop: Organization since '88. 22 years.

Baines: 14 years as a player, 8 as a coach. 22 years.

Ozzie, recheck your math.

"First of all, they're my friends," he said. "Rios is my dear friend. I cannot say anything about Rios because I knew him before he came to the White Sox. With Dunn, if there's one player I have more respect for in the game than (Jim) Thome, Konerko, I think Dunner is."

Pretty sure he hated "Dunner"

"Wait a minute," he said. "(Expletive) Chicago media. That's why people talk bad about Chicago media. How about Mark Buehrle? He's a nice guy, so no one say nothing about him, huh? All right, Mark Buehrle left Chicago in mourning, but you don't say anything about him. That (bleep) don't sell."

That's right Ozzie, Mark Buehrle left the same way.

"(Former Sox manager) Jerry Manuel, if he was here, not any of you guys would be here," he said. "Ozzie Guillen is here, look at you (expletive) guys making a line."

Let's throw Manuel under the bus while we're at it.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/...-sox-better-him

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 03:00 PM)
Say what you will, but listening to Ozzie rip on Wrigley again is still enjoyable. He more than wore out his welcome, and he bent White Sox fans over and f***ed them in the ass by betraying them, but that s*** is still funny.

OMG. Your part about bending the Sox fans over is disgusting and stupid.

Listen to Ozzie's interview today on the Trib website. He was funny and classy. He is a true White Sox.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 03:50 AM)
I like the classy Guillen! Too bad it's so fleeting.

I don't know how a lot of Sox fans on this board can watch that Trib interview and not love the guy. You can tell Ozzie is f***ing hilarious and he's classy, too.

He said he respects Dunn as much as anybody in baseball for what he's done this year. He said something like, 'He didn't play for me last year, but aside from Thome and PK I respect him as much as anybody." Ozzie said he was classy with the media and fans all last year.

What more do you want from ozzie? He was captain of the ship when we won a WS. WHo gives a f*** if he "quit" on the team with a week left or whatever. The owner and GM wanted him out. Oz made it easy on them. KW won that battle. What is so difficult to see about that?

You guys that despise Ozzie so much ... he had drinks with AJ over all star break. You mean to tell me if you walked into that same bar you wouldn't go up to Ozzie and shake his hand and say, "Thanks for 2005, Ozzie!" I would.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 07:55 PM)
I don't know how a lot of Sox fans on this board can watch that Trib interview and not love the guy. You can tell Ozzie is f***ing hilarious and he's classy, too.

He said he respects Dunn as much as anybody in baseball for what he's done this year. He said something like, 'He didn't play for me last year, but aside from Thome and PK I respect him as much as anybody." Ozzie said he was classy with the media and fans all last year.

What more do you want from ozzie? He was captain of the ship when we won a WS. WHo gives a f*** if he "quit" on the team with a week left or whatever. The owner and GM wanted him out. Oz made it easy on them. KW won that battle. What is so difficult to see about that?

You guys that despise Ozzie so much ... he had drinks with AJ over all star break. You mean to tell me if you walked into that same bar you wouldn't go up to Ozzie and shake his hand and say, "Thanks for 2005, Ozzie!" I would.

Might be the 1st time I've ever heard the word classy and Ozzie Guillen in the same sentence.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 08:55 PM)

Your post has some merit Greg, but how often do we see the gracious Ozz? Almost never.

He's taking the high road this week, which is really the only one available. With his team struggling, he doesn't have the ammo to be the pr**k he'd rather be.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 10:02 PM)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/colum...,3147892.column

Phil Rogers fires the first warning shot across the bow.

Poor, Greg.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/...go-chicago-cubs

Ozzie on reaction waiting for him, Zambrano and Buehrle

Why poor Greg? It was a fair column. I still say Ozzie is gonna be fine in Miami. If not, too bad. Like I've said a million times. Ozzie is richer than rich. He does not need nor does he want any fan's support. There's a good chance if I went up to him in a bar even to shake his hand, he might mock me or punch me in the face. Or he might sit down and converse with me (doubtful). I think he's the normal spoiled major league ballplayer (yes ballplayer who became a manager). He is brash, rich - did I say rich? - and he is Ozzie.

He's also the only manager in my lifetime to give me a WS title and yes I am loyal to anybody who can give me such joy. If you think back to October of '05, it was glorious. I don't know why you all won't give him the benefit of the doubt, or a break. Do you not love world championships? Sure you do. So forgive Ozzie and move on.

Edited by greg775

Why poor Greg? It was a fair column. I still say Ozzie is gonna be fine in Miami. If not, too bad. Like I've said a million times. Ozzie is richer than rich. He does not need nor does he want any fan's support. There's a good chance if I went up to him in a bar even to shake his hand, he might mock me or punch me in the face. Or he might sit down and converse with me (doubtful). I think he's the normal spoiled major league ballplayer (yes ballplayer who became a manager). He is brash, rich - did I say rich? - and he is Ozzie.

He's also the only manager in my lifetime to give me a WS title and yes I am loyal to anybody who can give me such joy. If you think back to October of '05, it was glorious. I don't know why you all won't give him the benefit of the doubt, or a break. Do you not love world championships? Sure you do. So forgive Ozzie and move on.

i find the constant emphasizing of how ozzie is rich annoying

Those are Ozzie's talking points, by the way, about his wealth and being able to go to Spain whenever he wants, etc.

By the way, it's not a matter of forgiving Ozzie. I'd just like to understand how and why he lost the motivation to be an above-average manager. At least since the 2008 season ended.

Those are Ozzie's talking points, by the way, about his wealth and being able to go to Spain whenever he wants, etc.

By the way, it's not a matter of forgiving Ozzie. I'd just like to understand how and why he lost the motivation to be an above-average manager. At least since the 2008 season ended.

does that mean he is better than everybody here and the criticism is irrelevant and null because of that? sure as hell seems like that is what greg implies.

i find ndamukong suh hilarious. how can he not make you laugh? he doesnt care about what anybody thinks, he is rich and will be richer. he can do whatever the hell he wants

Edited by soxmaniac!

QUOTE (soxmaniac! @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 03:40 AM)
does that mean he is better than everybody here and the criticism is irrelevant and null because of that? sure as hell seems like that is what greg implies.

I think it's my way of pointing out that it matters not what you think of Ozzie or what I think of Ozzie. He's rich and in the large scheme of things it doesn't matter because if they fire him, he'll be fine.