Who should Romney choose as VP candidate?

southsider2k5

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 08:17 AM)
Complete this Romney quote:

Drop out of the race and I will offer you . . .

VP?

Cabinet?

Hookers?

Stocks?

For the guys he's facing? Nothing. Maybe Paul he gives a cabinet slot to in order to keep him from 3rd partying it. Santorum and Gingrich are getting what they need out of this race. Gingrich gets book sales and money, Santorum puts himself much higher on the GOP list in terms of known commodities if he wants to go for either money or another shot at a candidacy somewhere.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 08:15 AM)
All of the above. After all he is a rich Republican and has no morals.

Actually doesn't this happen in both parties? Hillary comes to mind. Cutting a deal do pave the way for the Presidency has been around since at least the Corrupt Bargainm, and I'd guess long before that.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 01:11 PM)
santorum seems to legitimately hate Romney. I can't see him being part of his team.

The Clinton Family fued with Obama was pretty heated as well. What is the saying, politics makes strange bedfellows?

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 08:17 AM)
Complete this Romney quote:

Drop out of the race and I will offer you . . .

VP?

Cabinet?

Hookers?

Stocks?

If that had happened, Santorum might have actually mentioned Romeny once in his concession speech. He dropped out because it was becoming apparent he would lose his home state.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 10:03 PM)
Except very few people have even heard of him. I thought I followed presidential politics pretty closely and that name has never once been on the radar screen nationally.

I'm operating under the premise that people will not vote for the guy on the top of the ticket because of who he chooses to be VP, but will vote against the top of the ticket based on an egregiously poor VP choice. Sandoval, while unknown nationally, has a resume worthy of the selection, and the fact that he is qualified doesn't look like a play solely to win hispanic voters.

QUOTE (Chet Lemon @ Apr 15, 2012 -> 12:11 PM)
I'm operating under the premise that people will not vote for the guy on the top of the ticket because of who he chooses to be VP, but will vote against the top of the ticket based on an egregiously poor VP choice. Sandoval, while unknown nationally, has a resume worthy of the selection, and the fact that he is qualified doesn't look like a play solely to win hispanic voters.

As demonstrated last time, it's not just "Qualifications" that matter, it's also an understanding of national policy issues at a level that doesn't make the candidate look like a fool. How is Sandoval on national issues? Any idea how that would translate?

Yep, Lyndon Johnson and the Kennedy family absolutely hated each other with a passion, but also desperately needed each other simultaneously (the presence of a Southerner on the ticket).

Or you can look at Abraham Lincoln's cabinet for the best example, a "Team of Rivals" as the famous book goes (or infamous, depending upon your opinion of the writer after the plagiarism charges).

Of course, Joe Biden also faced the same problem when he ran for President, it's one of the strongest reasons against a possible candidacy of his in the future. Hillary might very well have one last grand fight left in her.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 09:16 AM)
Yep, Lyndon Johnson and the Kennedy family absolutely hated each other with a passion, but also desperately needed each other simultaneously (the presence of a Southerner on the ticket).

Or you can look at Abraham Lincoln's cabinet for the best example, a "Team of Rivals" as the famous book goes (or infamous, depending upon your opinion of the writer after the plagiarism charges).

Of course, Joe Biden also faced the same problem when he ran for President, it's one of the strongest reasons against a possible candidacy of his in the future. Hillary might very well have one last grand fight left in her.

Herman cain