2012 NFL Draft Thread

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 10:40 PM)
The critiquing of the NFL draft by fans that have never even watched tape on these guys always makes me chuckle....

Seriously. WTF? Bunch of scouts with crystal balls posting here?

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 10:44 PM)
You can't judge a draft for 3 years.

Draft grades the day after the draft are stupid.

They really are. You know exactly nothing. Guys you never heard of end up being studs, Guys who were All-American in college don't amount to s*** in the NFL. You can't know.

Let's say Hardin and McClellin wind up being OK players, like good enough starters. This team is still the same as it has been since I can remember, good defense and an offense with potential being consistently held back because our Quarterback's are running for their lives. The only difference is now we actually have some good weapons to throw to, so I guess Emery gets credit for that.

But the OL will still be bad until we invest in it. Doesn't matter how well our umteenth new safety or defensive end plays, the biggest problem this team has had is going to continue to be a problem. Blatant neglect combined with scouting incompetence.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 09:47 PM)
Let's say Hardin and McClellin wind up being OK players, like good enough starters. This team is still the same as it has been since I can remember, good defense and an offense with potential being consistently held back because our Quarterback's are running for their lives. The only difference is now we actually have some good weapons to throw to, so I guess Emery gets credit for that.

But the OL will still be bad until we invest in it. Doesn't matter how well our umteenth new safety or defensive end plays, the biggest problem this team has had is going to continue to be a problem. Blatant neglect combined with scouting incompetence.

If OL turns to s***, I am blaming Emery 100%.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 09:52 PM)
I went into this draft saying that I think the bears oline isnt as bad as people think and I stand by that.

Cutler had some decent protection when the offense was clicking on that winning streak. The O-line obviously had nothing to do with his injury.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 09:40 PM)
The critiquing of the NFL draft by fans that have never even watched tape on these guys always makes me chuckle....

This. These scouts/GMs get paid to do this for a living; sure, that doesn't mean they can't be bad, but it means I'll give them a chance to prove they know what they're doing.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 09:52 PM)
I went into this draft saying that I think the bears oline isnt as bad as people think and I stand by that.

A healthy O-Line, sure.

Webb/Williams/Garza/Louis/Carimi is a decently athletic line (with the exception of Webb), and no worse than "a touch below average."

But "healthy" is always the key word with our O-Line.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 10:56 PM)
Cutler was sacked 5 times total during the Bears 5-game winning streak before his thumb fell off.

Shhhhh stop talking about facts and s*** that actually happened, you're gonna start confusing people.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 10:58 PM)
23 sacks in 10 games using Martz scheme isnt horrendous. The obvious hope is that the Bears call more plays that are quick and dont let the defense get up field regardless of protection.

23 sacks in 10 games is 37 sacks over 16 games.

Aaron Rodgers got sacked 36 times in 15 games. Ben Roethlisberger was sacked 40 times in 15 games.

Before Cutler broke his thumb the Bears had the 6th-ranked scoring offense (this was without Carimi, Marshall, or Jeffery)

...but yeah the Bears offense has no chance to do anything at all. Okay I guess.

This Hardin guy was brought in for a visit so they must have saw something they liked in him...he was said to be a rising star in 2010 so who knows he could very well still be that rising star. Not gonna hate on the pick till we see what happens with him....He visited with 15 other teams as well so thats a lot of teams that could potentially take him in the 3rd if they saw what the bears saw

They obviously weren't lying when they said they were ok with the OL...there were a few games last year where the OL looked pretty darn good, cant find the game by game sack totals or who that effective unit was but I do remember a 3 or 4 game stretch where they looked good. Hopefully they can get that unit out there again and perform.

DT is not a GLARING need, I think they just need a big body to throw in there and they can get that in the 4th or even the 5th.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 08:54 PM)
This. These scouts/GMs get paid to do this for a living; sure, that doesn't mean they can't be bad, but it means I'll give them a chance to prove they know what they're doing.

No, it doesn't mean they can't be bad. But it means they spend thousands of hours watching film on these players while we spend zero.

It would be like you criticizing at attorney accustomed to arguing cases in front of the Supreme Court for his legal arguments. Yes, that doesn't mean he doesn't make errors, or that he is always perfect, but 99 times out of 100 he'll have a better idea of what he's doing than you.

The issue isn't how the OL payed during the hot streak last year, or how the starting 5 isn't bad (its not, I like the Bears starting 5 actually). Its that depth, injury risk and age are big issues with the Bears... I dont know how much Spencer and Garza have left in the tank or how well Carimi and Williams will stay healthy. Drafting an offensive lineman in the first 3 rounds at least gives us a chance to have a good starter should something bad happen.

The whole reason the Bears got so bad on the OL was that it was totally ignored for years. For like 5 seasons we didnt spend a single pick on an OL before round 4... then came panic mode where we had to spend all sorts of free agent $$$ and first round picks out of panic and desperation. I'd rather we not have that happen again, but here we are again back inviting it.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 10:05 PM)
No, it doesn't mean they can't be bad. But it means they spend thousands of hours watching film on these players while we spend zero.

It would be like you criticizing at attorney accustomed to arguing cases in front of the Supreme Court for his legal arguments. Yes, that doesn't mean he doesn't make errors, or that he is always perfect, but 99 times out of 100 he'll have a better idea of what he's doing than you.

I was agreeing with you, and this was what I was trying to say...but you said it better.