Ground Up Human Baby Pills

Steve9347

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 8, 2012 -> 04:48 PM)
Do you guys live your lives wildly then?

Why not just go crazy if this all means nothing? If you are going to just be done when you die and not cognizant of anything in heaven, then why not be reckless pursuers of debauchery?

I'd prefer to live out my years in freedom with the people I love than in a cell. I don't need "God" to keep me from doing crazy things.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ May 9, 2012 -> 10:24 AM)
Science has been an extremely effective tool to further human knowledge.

One cannot say the same for 'revelation'.

Science can be a revelation. ;)

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 8, 2012 -> 10:26 PM)
What intelligent people believe that? I'd call them cretans, not intelligent.

Ah, so they are cretans because their religion differs from yours?

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 8, 2012 -> 04:48 PM)
Do you guys live your lives wildly then?

Why not just go crazy if this all means nothing? If you are going to just be done when you die and not cognizant of anything in heaven, then why not be reckless pursuers of debauchery?

To answer your question, no, I do not live wildly. Even when I was younger I always knew where to draw the line when partying, etc.

I never said it means nothing. It absolutely means something. But there doesn't have to be a "heaven" at the end of journey to make the journey itself meaningful. The act of living, in and of itself, is already meaningful.

After this life is over, I know my energy doesn't just "disappear", and if it makes you feel better to call the next place it goes "heaven", by all means, do so. Personally, I believe we are returned to the universe around us, not as some sort of ghost or specter, but as general energy which will again be recycled by the universe to create new life, or non-life alike.

Whatever happens, I will not spend my life worrying about what "might" happen when this journey ends...there is too much to miss right here, right now, to worry about that.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 8, 2012 -> 10:26 PM)
What intelligent people believe that? I'd call them cretans, not intelligent.

They would say the same thing about you. There are doctors, engineers, scientists, etc. that feel that way about women because of their religion, yet I wouldn't call them unintelligent.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 9, 2012 -> 03:31 PM)
I'd prefer to live out my years in freedom with the people I love than in a cell. I don't need "God" to keep me from doing crazy things.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 9, 2012 -> 03:32 PM)
Ha!

Maybe one or two things were fashioned around truth, but, um - no.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 9, 2012 -> 03:38 PM)
Ah, so they are cretans because their religion differs from yours?

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 9, 2012 -> 03:42 PM)
To answer your question, no, I do not live wildly. Even when I was younger I always knew where to draw the line when partying, etc.

I never said it means nothing. It absolutely means something. But there doesn't have to be a "heaven" at the end of journey to make the journey itself meaningful. The act of living, in and of itself, is already meaningful.

After this life is over, I know my energy doesn't just "disappear", and if it makes you feel better to call the next place it goes "heaven", by all means, do so. Personally, I believe we are returned to the universe around us, not as some sort of ghost or specter, but as general energy which will again be recycled by the universe to create new life, or non-life alike.

Whatever happens, I will not spend my life worrying about what "might" happen when this journey ends...there is too much to miss right here, right now, to worry about that.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 9, 2012 -> 03:44 PM)
They would say the same thing about you. There are doctors, engineers, scientists, etc. that feel that way about women because of their religion, yet I wouldn't call them unintelligent.

1.) It doesn't have to be illegal to be a life of debauchery. You don't need to end up in a cell. Just drink every night. Cheat on the wife constantly, etc. I mean if when you die, boom it's ova, why not just go nuts here? Buy big houses, boats, cars even if they eventually get repossessed. Take zillions of risks professionally. Hitchhike to California for a month and see what happens there.

2.) Why would you diss the Bible? Many of us listen to the Old and New testament weekly at Mass and believe it and know all the stories and believe them. Why don't you consider investing in the "word of God?" Some intelligent people drop God's name every third sentence or so they utter on a daily basis. Are they crazy? You've probably met those. Are they completely off base? Thanking God, talking about God, etc.

3.) No, he worded how they feel about women pretty strongly. That they should be treated like animals. I think they takes away the fact they might be "intelligent" and puts them in cretan category. Don't you? I mean if you think a woman should be treated as an "animal" you are not intelligent. Right?

4.) I guess I can accept your take the best. However, we are returned as "energy" but have no recollection of our past life and the people we knew here? Doesn't that concern doting parents who live their lives through their children and watch their every move 24 hours a day? Isn't all that energy wasted since upon death you will never see your kids again??

5.) See earlier answer on cretans.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ May 9, 2012 -> 10:24 AM)
Science has been an extremely effective tool to further human knowledge.

One cannot say the same for 'revelation'.

The Bible wasn't designed as a tool. Science has done an excellent job of furthering human knowledge about God's creation. Amazing actually.

Preface - i'm not all that religious myself, though I do believe in the Christian God and, generally, the teachings of the Christian faith.

I just don't get why people who are not religious have to be so vehement about it, to the point of almost being angry. If someone wants to believe, let them believe. It's like you think that if anyone is talking to you about their beliefs they're preaching to you and you have to be all strong and defiant about not believing it, otherwise you'll be viewed as weak-minded.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 9, 2012 -> 07:57 PM)
The Bible wasn't designed as a tool. Science has done an excellent job of furthering human knowledge about God's creation. Amazing actually.

Good post.

Greg,

1) You dont need a god to not cheat on your wife, and in fact many godly people do far more than cheat on their wife (Id say a priest cheating on god with a little boy fits that bill), cheating on your wife, or your girlfriend, is a personal choice and it depends on what type of person you are. Why not go nuts here? Because I would have to live with the consequences of my actions. If I spend foolishly or do something to cripple myself financially, I would have ruined my life. I cant go to bed at night clinging to the idea that "Its easier for a camel to fit through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get into heaven", I cant somehow rationalize my failure as "Gods will" or not to worry because "its part of Gods plan." If I fail, if I do something stupid, I have to batten down the hatches and fix it, because there isnt some unwordly power that will intervene on my behalf.

2) For many years people believed that Aristotle was right, just because people believe it doesnt mean its true. In fact religion is based on "belief" and not "fact", the entire idea is that there is actually no evidence and therefore to be a true believer you must have "faith" in something that cant be proven. Its great circular logic.

3) You still havent answered any questions about beliefs that the church holds to this day which are outdated and completely unfounded.

4) Why would it be wasted? Loving my family, children, pets has nothing to do with God or heaven, it has to do with our relationship in this world, no matter what I may think about the next, it doesnt change here and now.

Question for the religious people here. Any coincidence that the reason you believe in your specific religion is because your family raised you that way? I mean chances are if you just so happened to be born to parents in the middle of India, China or Syria you would likely have a completely different faith altogether....again, based almost entirely on what your family taught you. I must imagine that people who convert to other religions are a tiny miniscule percentage.

Just seems odd to me that someone raised here on Christianity, or whatever, is so adamant that their religion is the only truth. Religious beliefs appear to be an almost direct correlation to what our parents believed.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 9, 2012 -> 02:04 PM)
I just don't get why people who are not religious have to be so vehement about it, to the point of almost being angry. If someone wants to believe, let them believe. It's like you think that if anyone is talking to you about their beliefs they're preaching to you and you have to be all strong and defiant about not believing it, otherwise you'll be viewed as weak-minded.

Historically speaking, religion has accounted for millions of innocent deaths. The problem (imo) in dealing with religious people is that they tend to rely on "faith" as opposed to "facts", so when trying to discuss a solution and their response is "faith" based, there is just no way to rationally go about it besides for attacking the foundation, which is the religion.

For example,

Many people believe that women are subservient to men due to religion. If you are going to try and argue for a woman's equality, you cant just pull out a chapter from the New Testament to support you. Thus if they keep relying on it, you just have to attack the New Testament.

I dont care one way or another, people can believe whatever they want, just dont use "beliefs" as any sort of rational for why a law should be something or why a certain group should be denied benefits etc. If you think people are going to heaven and hell, whatever, great, well see what happens after we die. But until that day, Id prefer we run our lives based on facts, not on faith.

Wow, I think it is the complete opposite.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 9, 2012 -> 08:07 PM)
Greg,

1) You dont need a god to not cheat on your wife, and in fact many godly people do far more than cheat on their wife (Id say a priest cheating on god with a little boy fits that bill), cheating on your wife, or your girlfriend, is a personal choice and it depends on what type of person you are. Why not go nuts here? Because I would have to live with the consequences of my actions. If I spend foolishly or do something to cripple myself financially, I would have ruined my life. I cant go to bed at night clinging to the idea that "Its easier for a camel to fit through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get into heaven", I cant somehow rationalize my failure as "Gods will" or not to worry because "its part of Gods plan." If I fail, if I do something stupid, I have to batten down the hatches and fix it, because there isnt some unwordly power that will intervene on my behalf.

2) For many years people believed that Aristotle was right, just because people believe it doesnt mean its true. In fact religion is based on "belief" and not "fact", the entire idea is that there is actually no evidence and therefore to be a true believer you must have "faith" in something that cant be proven. Its great circular logic.

3) You still havent answered any questions about beliefs that the church holds to this day which are outdated and completely unfounded.

4) Why would it be wasted? Loving my family, children, pets has nothing to do with God or heaven, it has to do with our relationship in this world, no matter what I may think about the next, it doesnt change here and now.

Thought provoking post.

I'll have to think about it some more before commenting. Also well written. Interesting how some people go out of their way to have perfect punctuation and caps on the internet and some like me just write quickly to get it posted ASAP.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 9, 2012 -> 02:12 PM)
Wow, I think it is the complete opposite.

Perhaps it's both extremes, but I tend to feel that religious people get attacked much more as being morons that haven't accepted we live in a modern world full of the almighty science.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 9, 2012 -> 02:12 PM)
Historically speaking, religion has accounted for millions of innocent deaths. The problem (imo) in dealing with religious people is that they tend to rely on "faith" as opposed to "facts", so when trying to discuss a solution and their response is "faith" based, there is just no way to rationally go about it besides for attacking the foundation, which is the religion.

For example,

Many people believe that women are subservient to men due to religion. If you are going to try and argue for a woman's equality, you cant just pull out a chapter from the New Testament to support you. Thus if they keep relying on it, you just have to attack the New Testament.

I dont care one way or another, people can believe whatever they want, just dont use "beliefs" as any sort of rational for why a law should be something or why a certain group should be denied benefits etc. If you think people are going to heaven and hell, whatever, great, well see what happens after we die. But until that day, Id prefer we run our lives based on facts, not on faith.

Well, by definition a belief in faith cannot be proven so....pretty tough hurdle you're requesting there.

Preface - i'm not all that religious myself, though I do believe in the Christian God and, generally, the teachings of the Christian faith.

New Atheist assholes are the worst. See the ndt video I linked earlier.

TRUE STORY:

I know a guy who has a beautiful wife and 4 kids, three of whom they adopted from impoverished countries.

He goes to inner city Chicago and hands out 100 dollar bills to homeless people a few times a month.

He is coach of his kids' teams and he is a doctor. He believes the Bible and reads the Bible.

He drops the word "God" in conversation every third sentence or so. he does this all for God.

Is he crazy? Is he a saint? You make the call.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 9, 2012 -> 02:18 PM)
Perhaps it's both extremes, but I tend to feel that religious people get attacked much more as being morons that haven't accepted we live in a modern world full of the almighty science.

I was raised Catholic, confirmed. I dont practice, but I understand the process. I believe in a god much like you do, I am not agnostic or atheistic. I have never been criticized for believing in a god by any person who doesnt believe in one, nor have I seen it. But I have been criticized many times by practitioners of different christian faiths many many times.