TIME's Top 10 Worst US Sporting Venues

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2012 -> 10:05 AM)
I wonder when the last time they actually took in USCF was? I have been to a lot of stadiums and ballparks, and that is not even close to being one of the worst. The only reason it gets grief is because it is Sox park.

The reason it gets grief is because it's not "beautiful, historic", delapidated, smelly, crumbling, cramped Wrigley Field.

QUOTE (The Critic @ May 14, 2012 -> 11:10 AM)
The reason it gets grief is because it's not "beautiful, historic", delapidated, smelly, crumbling, cramped Wrigley Field.

I got the grief it got pre-remodel. It really was a boring place to see a game. Today the food is great, there is a decent drink selection, there is plenty to do away from the game, and the murals are excellent.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2012 -> 11:13 AM)
I got the grief it got pre-remodel. It really was a boring place to see a game. Today the food is great, there is a decent drink selection, there is plenty to do away from the game, and the murals are excellent.

This. Since the renovations started, it's become a top notch place.

Food selection is outstanding. Plenty of shopping. Bacardi at the Park and Chicago Sports Depot add to outside the Arena, the FUNdamentals Deck, the statues, etc.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 14, 2012 -> 11:35 AM)
This. Since the renovations started, it's become a top notch place.

Food selection is outstanding. Plenty of shopping. Bacardi at the Park and Chicago Sports Depot add to outside the Arena, the FUNdamentals Deck, the statues, etc.

I prefer it to a place like Comerica Park, which outside of the centerfield area, is a big walking gimmick.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 14, 2012 -> 09:45 AM)
It was physically impossible to put in enough seats, put in enough luxury boxes, maintain the old stadium facade, and make sure the seats had good sight lines. Simply couldn't do all of them.

Maybe true, but they definitely lost a chance to gain more revenue there. They obviously preferred luxury boxes instead of seats, but the Bears could easily draw 120k every sunday.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 14, 2012 -> 01:42 PM)
Maybe true, but they definitely lost a chance to gain more revenue there. They obviously preferred luxury boxes instead of seats, but the Bears could easily draw 120k every sunday.

I totally agree...but that would have required the Bears giving up "Being at Soldier Field", which they weren't willing to do (and which, seemingly, we both agree was a mistake).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 14, 2012 -> 02:04 PM)
I totally agree...but that would have required the Bears giving up "Being at Soldier Field", which they weren't willing to do (and which, seemingly, we both agree was a mistake).

On the bright side they could bulldoze it now without a worry.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2012 -> 03:35 PM)
Oh I am sure it would make some angry. Maybe we could sign Rich Daley on a one day contract to come bulldoze it, for old times sake.

Suddenly I'm picturing Daley fighting alongside the Avengers and being the one Hulk punches out. It's funny.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 14, 2012 -> 02:38 PM)
Suddenly I'm picturing Daley fighting alongside the Avengers and being the one Hulk punches out. It's funny.

:lol:

I'm imagining the Ted Phillips

"I AM A GOD. YOU WILL BOW TO ME."

Then the Hulk wearing a cheesehat smashing him and saying "puny God"

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 14, 2012 -> 02:04 PM)

AS much as I respect and love the old soldier field, they should have leveled it and built an entirely new state of the art stadium with a retractable roof and seating for at least 100k.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 14, 2012 -> 04:20 PM)
AS much as I respect and love the old soldier field, they should have leveled it and built an entirely new state of the art stadium with a retractable roof and seating for at least 100k.

I could actually still live without a roof in Chicago. Yeah it's miserably cold. But that's Chicago.

Put a 100k seating stadium out there and the people will keep themselves warm.

The home of the White Sox will inevitably suffer by comparison to North Side counterpart – Wrigley Field. While Wrigley is beloved by fans, who pack its bleachers to see even lousy Cub teams, U.S. Cellular had the unfortunate fate of being built just before Camden Yards ushered in an era of retro stadiums that sought to emulate the cozy charm of early-twentieth-century baseball. But timing isn’t all that’s wrong with Chicago’s Other Ballpark. Jim Caple of ESPN has claimed that the upper deck at the former Comiskey Park is, “the highest, most remote place on earth.” And if you don’t like the poor view from the cheap seats, don’t think you can get a reprieve by taking a walk around the park between innings. U.S. Cellular is one of the only ballparks in the country that doesn’t allow patrons to leave the section they’ve paid for, even just to take a look at other parts of the stadium. According to the Bleacher Report, this policy means, “If you’re someone who can’t afford a lower-level seat, then you’re essentially a second class citizen.” It certainly lends credence to the venue’s unofficial nickname, “The Cell.”

Read more: http://keepingscore.blogs.time.com/2012/05...s#ixzz1usU083aI

At least the targeted the worst part of the stadium. And perhaps it is fair to not allow the great lower section to offset. So perhaps the Cell could be on two lists, the top 10 lower sections and the bottom ten upper sections.

I will say after sitting in the first row of the UD for a game by the 3rd inning I was enjoying the seat. But I understand those that complain the UD is too steep.

At least the targeted the worst part of the stadium. And perhaps it is fair to not allow the great lower section to offset. So perhaps the Cell could be on two lists, the top 10 lower sections and the bottom ten upper sections.

I will say after sitting in the first row of the UD for a game by the 3rd inning I was enjoying the seat. But I understand those that complain the UD is too steep.

Doesn't really matter how steep it is if you're in the front row, right?

Anyway, I don't really like the upper deck of ANY park. I do understand having the policy of not letting UD folks down to the 100-level when there is a big crowd because it can become difficult to move around, but it shouldn't be restricted when the crowd is < 30K.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 14, 2012 -> 03:28 PM)

They somewhat misconstrued the statement that you cannot go to other "sections" you can walk the entire top concourse which has more than enough amenities.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 14, 2012 -> 03:50 PM)
Doesn't really matter how steep it is if you're in the front row, right?

Anyway, I don't really like the upper deck of ANY park. I do understand having the policy of not letting UD folks down to the 100-level when there is a big crowd because it can become difficult to move around, but it shouldn't be restricted when the crowd is

Actually walking down to the seat was a bit unsettling at first.