Sox @ Cubs 5/18 game thread

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 18, 2012 -> 04:09 PM)
For those of you that played outfield, regardless of sunglasses and mitt, you know that if the ball goes into the sun on the way down, you're f***ed. That's the worst.

Yep, sometimes you are just f***ed regardless.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 18, 2012 -> 04:09 PM)
For those of you that played outfield, regardless of sunglasses and mitt, you know that if the ball goes into the sun on the way down, you're f***ed. That's the worst.

I expect a pro to be able to adjust his angle and not let that happen.

However, Rios doesn't play many day games, has rarely played in Wrigley, and I assume he won't let it happen again. No big deal.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 18, 2012 -> 03:24 PM)

However, Rios doesn't play many day games, has rarely played in Wrigley, and I assume he won't let it happen again. No big deal.

...since we won. :gosoxretro:

QUOTE (Jake @ May 18, 2012 -> 04:24 PM)

Again, you can't. You're standing in the spot where the ball will land. To adjust the angle enough to get the ball out of the sun, you'd have to run at least 10 feet to the left or right, as it's coming down.

Unfortunately, the sun wins sometimes.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 18, 2012 -> 10:22 PM)
Yep, sometimes you are just f***ed regardless.

Have they changed it to an error yet? I don't care if the sun was out. It's still an error.

Go Sox! Reed really attacks the hitters.

Beckham really came through. He should feel good tonight.

And Humber, Paulie of course.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 18, 2012 -> 04:57 PM)
Again, you can't. You're standing in the spot where the ball will land. To adjust the angle enough to get the ball out of the sun, you'd have to run at least 10 feet to the left or right, as it's coming down.

I'm not mad. Do I think some OF'ers have that played better? Yes, probably. But it didn't cost us, it was a tough play and he didn't make it.

Yes you can. You can turn a little bit and it will change your sight line slightly and you won't be looking directly into the sun but still see the ball. In fact, Rios did exactly that earlier in the game. He had plenty of time to do it. If it were more of a line drive, I may give a guy paid as much as he's paid a break, but there are plenty of high school RF who would have caught that ball.

Edited by Dick Allen

Right. If Rios was stationary underneath it maybe he could have changed the angle by playing it of the side, but he was running in to catch the ball. Bad luck.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ May 18, 2012 -> 06:18 PM)
Jon Garland won a World Series ring with the Sox. What has Wood ever won with the Cubs?

Just like the Cubs and their fans to celebrate mediocrity.

CTL was talking about Dempster, calling him a "winner" shortly after calling Wood a "winner"

What's with these Cubs? A bunch of winners, yet no winning? :unsure:

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 18, 2012 -> 06:36 PM)
Right. If Rios was stationary underneath it maybe he could have changed the angle by playing it of the side, but he was running in to catch the ball. Bad luck.

He was camped under the ball. There is no excuse. He could have looked from an angle, he could have used the webbing of his glove as a blind. If Adam Dunn were out there, I could see where it could be a problem, but an everyday OF, no way.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 18, 2012 -> 06:26 PM)
Yes you can. You can turn a little bit and it will change your sight line slightly and you won't be looking directly into the sun but still see the ball. In fact, Rios did exactly that earlier in the game. He had plenty of time to do it. If it were more of a line drive, I may give a guy paid as much as he's paid a break, but there are plenty of high school RF who would have caught that ball.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 18, 2012 -> 06:49 PM)
He was camped under the ball. There is no excuse. He could have looked from an angle, he could have used the webbing of his glove as a blind. If Adam Dunn were out there, I could see where it could be a problem, but an everyday OF, no way.

You need to go out and take some fly balls. "Turning a little bit" doesn't change the fact that you are looking back up directly into the sun. Turning doesn't put the ball or the sun in a different place, and you're still standing in the same spot - where the ball is landing.

Again, ball into sun = doesn't matter what you are shielding or trying to shield. You can't shield the sun and suddenly only have the ball appear. It's not a magic show.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 18, 2012 -> 06:58 PM)
You need to go out and take some fly balls. "Turning a little bit" doesn't change the fact that you are looking back up directly into the sun. Turning doesn't put the ball or the sun in a different place, and you're still standing in the same spot - where the ball is landing.

Again, ball into sun = doesn't matter what you are shielding or trying to shield. You can't shield the sun and suddenly only have the ball appear. It's not a magic show.

Wrong. Everyone there who saw the ball saw it from a different angle and some people without sunglasses didn't have to squint,and unless you are in cement, you can change the angle and use your glove as a sheild. He just stared into the sun.When I was in HS we were actually taught how to deal with the sun.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 19, 2012 -> 01:29 AM)
If the same thing happened to De Aza, your answer would be different.

Great point. DeAza is catching flak for his defense and Rios pulls that crap? Was it finally ruled an error? I'm amazed at how many fans still believe in Rios.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 18, 2012 -> 07:11 PM)
There was nothing Rios could do with that ball. He had it all the way until the last second, it's do or die at that point.

He could have opened his mitt. It is kind of hard to catch a ball when you duck and use your mitt to cover your head.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 18, 2012 -> 07:04 PM)
Wrong. Everyone there who saw the ball saw it from a different angle and some people without sunglasses didn't have to squint,and unless you are in cement, you can change the angle and use your glove as a sheild. He just stared into the sun.When I was in HS we were actually taught how to deal with the sun.

What in the hell are you talking about? Change your angle? Turning your head does nothing, your eyes are looking at the same place. You're under the baseball. You're just saying things that don't make sense now.

Using a glove as a shield works if the ball doesn't travel through the sun on the way down, especially at the last second. That's what happened. Using the glove as a shield works when the ball is coming to you and the sun is to your left or right in your field of vision.

Again, if the ball goes INTO THE SUN on the way down, you're f***ed. Period. There's only one place to stand to catch the ball.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 18, 2012 -> 08:02 PM)
He could have opened his mitt. It is kind of hard to catch a ball when you duck and use your mitt to cover your head.

He tried to catch it based on where he remembered where it was and when it was due to arrive in the mitt. His timing was off. Just leaving it open would have had it fall out just the same. It's tough to keep the timing on that.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 18, 2012 -> 08:04 PM)
He tried to catch it based on where he remembered where it was and when it was due to arrive in the mitt. His timing was off. Just leaving it open would have had it fall out just the same. It's tough to keep the timing on that.

He turned his headaway and brought his mitt down to cover his head. He wasn't trying to catch the ball.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 18, 2012 -> 07:41 PM)
Great point. DeAza is catching flak for his defense and Rios pulls that crap? Was it finally ruled an error? I'm amazed at how many fans still believe in Rios.

When you lose it in the sun, it's never an error. NEVER. How long can you watch baseball and not know that?

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 18, 2012 -> 08:04 PM)

Basically this.