Ozzie Guillen is Least Respected Manager

Steve9347

Ozzie Can't Get No Respect

Guillen was overwhelmingly named as the least respected manager in a survey of 100 MLB players that will be published in the July issue of Men's Journal.

The top three looks like this:

1. Ozzie Guillen (Marlins), 36 percent

2. Bobby Valentine (Red Sox), 14 percent

3. Manny Acta (Indians), 5 percent

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 11:32 PM)
Mark Buehrle and other free agents signed with Miami. They wouldn't have done so if Oz was hated. Case closed IMO.

So the large contracts had nothing to do with it. Try a refreshing change and embrace logic.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 11:32 PM)
Mark Buehrle and other free agents signed with Miami. They wouldn't have done so if Oz was hated. Case closed IMO.

What a bulletproof argument. How can you anyone deny the awesomeness of Ozzie? THE OZZIE-NESS OF OZZIE!

To be fair, the Tigers signed Prince Fielder and some other free agents, so Jim Leyland has to be up there.

And the Angels signed Albert Pujols and some other free agents, so Mike Scoscia is up there too.

And the Yankees signed Dewayne Wise and some other free agents, so Joe Girardi is up there too.

Because the fundamental reason behind a manager being both a respected and a good manager is when free agents sign with the team he manages. I mean, why else would Alex Rodriguez have signed multiple 10-year, $250+ million contracts if it weren't for Johnny Oates and Joe Girardi? I mean, I don't know about you guys, but if I'm Joey Votto, the only way I sign that 10 year, $225 million extension with the Reds is if I know that Dusty Baker is going to be my manager for all 10 of those years. I mean, for real guys, Todd Helton signed his 9 year, $141.5 million extension with the Rockies because he knew that Clint Hurdle was a very well respected manager in the major leagues and wanted him to be the manager forever and ever, but when he went off and got fired (because management in Colorado obviously has nothing to do with it), the Pittsburgh Pirates brought him in so that they knew for certain they'd be able to resign Andrew McCutcheon to a contact extension.

All of this is soundproof logic, which thus, makes Ozzie Guillen pretty easily the best manager of all time. It's simply bad luck that his team is in 4th place.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 12:46 AM)
What a bulletproof argument. How can you anyone deny the awesomeness of Ozzie? THE OZZIE-NESS OF OZZIE!

To be fair, the Tigers signed Prince Fielder and some other free agents, so Jim Leyland has to be up there.

And the Angels signed Albert Pujols and some other free agents, so Mike Scoscia is up there too.

And the Yankees signed Dewayne Wise and some other free agents, so Joe Girardi is up there too.

Because the fundamental reason behind a manager being both a respected and a good manager is when free agents sign with the team he manages. I mean, why else would Alex Rodriguez have signed multiple 10-year, $250+ million contracts if it weren't for Johnny Oates and Joe Girardi? I mean, I don't know about you guys, but if I'm Joey Votto, the only way I sign that 10 year, $225 million extension with the Reds is if I know that Dusty Baker is going to be my manager for all 10 of those years. I mean, for real guys, Todd Helton signed his 9 year, $141.5 million extension with the Rockies because he knew that Clint Hurdle was a very well respected manager in the major leagues and wanted him to be the manager forever and ever, but when he went off and got fired (because management in Colorado obviously has nothing to do with it), the Pittsburgh Pirates brought him in so that they knew for certain they'd be able to resign Andrew McCutcheon to a contact extension.

All of this is soundproof logic, which thus, makes Ozzie Guillen pretty easily the best manager of all time. It's simply bad luck that his team is in 4th place.

So did he just get respected? Because before Dunn we couldn't sign big name free agents.

So he clearly isn't respected in Chicago. Got it greg! Thanks!

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 12:46 AM)

So did he just get respected? Because before Dunn we couldn't sign big name free agents.

So he clearly isn't respected in Chicago. Got it greg! Thanks!