Need good reasons for optimism???

Guest wsc425

Guest wsc425

Oh man, just because we lost 2 straight and 3 overall to the Angels its the end of the world for some of you.

Look, if the Sox were 7 games back, then we could panic. But we are only 2 GAMES back! Am I right or am I wrong?

Thirdly, we have a great chance because of the remaining games, we have 3 dependable starters-Mark Buehrle, Esteban Loaiza and Bartolo Colon. Our bullpen will improve.

Fourthly, I say that Billy will come back to his 2002 form, and the Sox will win it with him-as a closer. I do believe he can and will succeed.

Also, Thomas has come back, and same with Konerko...both just sucked last year and I think with them and the other acquisitions such as Carl Everett and Roberto Alomar, that they can lead the Sox into the playoffs let alone-A WORLD f***ING SERIES

I will post more later when I think about it more.

Oh man, just because we lost 2 straight and 3 overall to the Angels its the end of the world for some of you.

Look, if the Sox were 7 games back, then we could panic. But we are only 2 GAMES back! Am I right or am I wrong?

Thirdly, we have a great chance because of the remaining games, we have 3 dependable starters-Mark Buehrle, Esteban Loaiza and Bartolo Colon. Our bullpen will improve.

Fourthly, I say that Billy will come back to his 2002 form, and the Sox will win it with him-as a closer. I do believe he can and will succeed.

Also, Thomas has come back, and same with Konerko...both just sucked last year and I think with them and the other acquisitions such as Carl Everett and Roberto Alomar, that they can lead the Sox into the playoffs let alone-A WORLD f***ING SERIES

You're right. I'm glad there are more people around here that haven't pressed the "panic" button yet.

CWSOX45

You're right. I'm glad there are more people around here that haven't pressed the "panic" button yet.

CWSOX45

No panic here. Its an 85-88 win team, as i said in March.

Best reason for optimisim...

Atleast prior to the Angels series the White Sox had the best record after the All-Star break.

Every team loses a series, its not like the Angels blasted em. It was a few games that the White Sox could have easily won.

They are 2 games back with 40 left, by the end of Saturday they could be tied for first place.

The real question is...

Why all the pessimism?

SB

CWSOX45

No panic here. Its an 85-88 win team, as i said in March.

85-88 wins can and probably will win this division. And once you get to the postseason, anything can happen.

Best reason for optimisim...

Atleast prior to the Angels series the White Sox had the best record after the All-Star break.

Every team loses a series, its not like the Angels blasted em. It was a few games that the White Sox could have easily won.

They are 2 games back with 40 left, by the end of Saturday they could be tied for first place.

The real question is...

Why all the pessimism?

SB

You are absolutely correct, I don't disagree. However, your assertion is in the context of our divisional race. I am looking at our chances of playing in the World Series.

I want good reasons to have confidence that we can, for example, beat Seattle at Safeco to advance to the ALCS.

The best reason I have heard so far is that "anything can happen in the playoffs". It is not a lot to go on, especially given the Sox history out west, but it will have to be enough, I suppose.

Springfield...look at our 1-2-3 combo. Then look at Seattle's 1-2-3 combo.

You want a reason for optimism....that's it right there. Colon, Buehrle, and Loaiza owns Meche, Moyer, and Piniero. Our offense is just as dangerous as their's is too when we're clicking.

Springfield...look at our 1-2-3 combo.  Then look at Seattle's 1-2-3 combo.

You want a reason for optimism....that's it right there.  Colon, Buehrle, and Loaiza owns Meche, Moyer, and Piniero.  Our offense is just as dangerous as their's is too when we're clicking.

Okay, I'll give you credit. That's not a bad point, not bad at all....

That helps. :)

85-88 wins can and probably will win this division.  And once you get to the postseason, anything can happen.

To get to 88 wins, we would have to play .610 ball for the rest of the season, which is a record of 25-16. Considering that the Sox have several games left against the Twins and Royals, if we were to do that, I'd have to say that yes, we'll make the playoffs. As long as MB, BC, and EL do their jobs, it should be fairly easy to win 25 more games. :ph34r:

And I read a good point by someone. They said that in 2000, the Sox really didn't play a meaningful game from mid-June on (those were the 7 games against the Yanks and Indians), then were forced to turn it on for the post season but could not do it. Well, he then said that if the Sox are going to make the playoffs in 2003, we will be playing important games all the way down the stretch, and that we'll be better prepared for the playoff atmosphere. I thought that was a great point.

Well, I think these optimism threads have helped me out alot. I could have wallowed in a stupor of self pity but I think I can hold my head up a little more now with some reason to feel good things are in store.

Maybe we need just need some peer to peer therapy from time to time. Maybe with a little graphic like this:

You want a reason for optimism....that's it right there.  Colon, Buehrle, and Loaiza owns Meche, Moyer, and Piniero.  Our offense is just as dangerous as their's is too when we're clicking.

I don't know why, but Seattle is the LAST team I'd want to play in the playoffs. I'd seriously rather go with the Yankees. It's just the way that Seattle bloops and bleeds that worries.

I don't know why, but Seattle is the LAST team I'd want to play in the playoffs. I'd seriously rather go with the Yankees. It's just the way that Seattle bloops and bleeds that worries.

Oh I agree 150% with you on this one. For some reason we crap ourselves when we play them. While we seem to hold our own with the Yanks. :huh:

Sox will need to win about 90 to win the division IMO. KC and the Twins have pretty easy schedules the rest of the way, especially compared to the Sox. I'm very confident that if the Sox make the playoffs it will be because they earned their way in, by beating the good teams and the bad ones down the stretch...not because they backed their way in due to two other teams sucking down the stretch.

Although I'd take the division anyway possible.

Springfieldfan wanted a reason to be optimistic if we were to go against Seattle. That is definately a reason. Their 1-2-3 comes nothing CLOSE to our 1-2-3 combo, and their #4(Ryan Franklin, I assume....I wouldn't want to mess with Garcia if I were Seattle in the postseason, because he could blow up at any given time) can get lit up(though we didn't do it the last time he pitched against us), because, afterall, he is leading the majors in homers allowed.

I like our chances in that department....and that is the only department I like our chances in. Their bullpen kicks our ass any day of the week, their lineup can be just as dangerous as ours, and is a better postseason offense, their defense is much, much, much better then ours, and their coaching staff in general, including their manager, is also better then ours. If we played them in a series, I think they'd win personally.

Springfieldfan wanted a reason to be optimistic if we were to go against Seattle. That is definately a reason. Their 1-2-3 comes nothing CLOSE to our 1-2-3 combo, and their #4(Ryan Franklin, I assume....I wouldn't want to mess with Garcia if I were Seattle in the postseason, because he could blow up at any given time) can get lit up(though we didn't do it the last time he pitched against us), because, afterall, he is leading the majors in homers allowed.

I like our chances in that department....and that is the only department I like our chances in. Their bullpen kicks our ass any day of the week, their lineup can be just as dangerous as ours, and is a better postseason offense, their defense is much, much, much better then ours, and their coaching staff in general, including their manager, is also better then ours. If we played them in a series, I think they'd win personally.

We SUCK against Seattle.

Out of the 4 most likely teams to see IF we were by some miracle make the playoffs, I think we match up with Oakland the best and Seattle the worst. I still want to see how the Sox play against the Yankees and Red Sox before I say anything about them. But if we were to play Seattle in the first round it would be 3 and out.