KW whining about (OK bringing up) attendance again

chisoxfan09

Here we go again, same old **** again. Kenny should just focus on improving the product and win us a division or two and see how contagious winning is.

Link: http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/...ades-not-happen

Article:

CHICAGO -- Chicago White Sox general manager Ken Williams said Monday the team's attendance figures are still an issue and could impact his ability to make any trade deadline moves.

The White Sox rank 27th in the majors with an average paid attendance of 21,330 fans. The Tampa Bay Rays (19,928), Oakland Athletics (19,392) and Cleveland Indians (18,251) rank worse than the White Sox.

The White Sox drew an average of 23,186 fans during their last nine-game home stand from June 1-June 10. They've been in first place in the American League Central since May 29.

"I don't want to expound because then I get buried because I'm crying about money and things," Williams said prior to Monday's home game with the Chicago Cubs. "I don't want to do it, but yes (it's still an issue.)"

Williams said he will be looking for ways to improve the team prior to the July 31st deadline, but he will be careful not to affect the team's current chemistry. The White Sox are currently 35-31 overall.

"No matter if (the current injured players) were here or not, we're still going to look at potential places where we can improve the club," Williams said. "But you've got to be careful with that because once guys start to believe in themselves as a unit, once they rally around one another and the guy to the left and the right is fighting as hard and is a good fit in the clubhouse and on the bench and team bus and team bench and all that, you've got to be careful not to disrupt that chemistry. Right now, it's pretty good."

The White Sox's biggest inconsistencies this season have come at third base and in the starting rotation. Brent Morel began the season at third base, but he has been dealing with a back injury most of the season and has been on disabled list since May 18. Williams signed Orlando Hudson, who was released by the San Diego Padres, in mid-May to play third base, and he has hit .183 in 23 games.

As for the starting rotation, White Sox pitcher John Danks has been on the disabled list since May 20, and Gavin Floyd and Philip Humber have had a number of rocky starts over the last month. Floyd is 4-7 with a 5.63 ERA, and Humber is 3-4 with a 6.01 ERA. Rookie Jose Quintana has filled in for Danks and has had a 1.53 ERA in 35 1/3 innings. Starters Chris Sale (8-2, 2.46) and Jake Peavy (6-2, 2.91) are likely headed to the All-Star Game.

Williams said he will have lengthy discussions with his staff before making any moves.

"Through hours and hours of discussion, days and days, you just try to come to the best conclusion you can, collectively," Williams said. "That's when I rely to a large degree on our coaching staff. I'm in the stands or I'm in a booth. I've got to rely on them.

"What do they see in each guy's eyes? What do they feel from that player? Is there a positive energy? Is there any defeat in them? Can they weather the August and September battles they're going to have to go through and continue to contribute? Those are discussions I lean heavily on the staff."

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The product on the field? Lmao we have been in first place.

Hahahaha that's one lame excuse for not showing up.

I get that but this is the same tease we had in 2010 and we completely collapsed. Riding this up and down roller coaster of early win streak and then fading fast in June/July is a bit old. I think he should look to solidify the whole line up and build a successful farm before he goes on about attendance. My humble opinion.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 12:24 PM)
I think I've had enough of KW.

You can improve the 3B situation without spending a ton of money -- IF you are willing to think outside the box.

Really? Because I'm not seeing a lot of options out there.

What would you do Mr. GM?

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 12:16 PM)
I don't have any problem with what KW is saying. attendance is low and that is fact. Wish we were playing better at home, but we aren't. I hate seeing our attendance so low. Only beating out TB, Cleveland and Oakland. Gross.

So sad. This team has spent so much on players like Dunn, Peavy, & Rios to get this team over the hump. We could be like other teams who once they manufacture an all star in their system have to trade him or let him walk.

The ownership has done their part by busting out their checkbook big time for US, & this is how we repay em? Hahaha bottom 4 in attendance with a team that's been in first place?

So sad.

I don't even think it's the lack of winning that has depressed attendance, it's that the Sox play horrible at home. If this was a .500 ball club but had a good record at home and played exciting ball at home, I think attendance could be decent.

Really? Because I'm not seeing a lot of options out there.

What would you do Mr. GM?

There are a lot of non-prospect 3Bs in AAA who would be significant upgrades to what we have now. They could be had for next to nothing -- for example, look at what Arizona did to get Josh Bell from Baltimore. You don't need to spend millions of dollars to get Youk in order to improve the position. That's the lazy way out.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 11:34 AM)
1 playoff appearance and win in 6 years will depress White Sox attendance.

KW 101...................b**** about attendance yearly to take focus off himself for not putting a playoff caliber product on the field year after year. :gosoxretro:

Edited by Soxfest

So sad. This team has spent so much on players like Dunn, Peavy, & Rios to get this team over the hump. We could be like other teams who once they manufacture an all star in their system have to trade him or let him walk.

The ownership has done their part by busting out their checkbook big time for US, & this is how we repay em? Hahaha bottom 4 in attendance with a team that's been in first place?

So sad.

You have valid points about JR busting out the check book but the quality of the product doesn't strictly rely on Peavy, Rios, and Dunn. I could also add that the three prior to this year have not really been a factor in the team's success due to their contributions. It's the overall approach KW takes as a GM that hasn't lived up to expectations. And 1st place? We've seen this up and down (2011 was totally down) set of results in 2010 and this year. Sorry but the product ain't gettin it done.

KW 101...................b**** about attendance yearly to take focus off himself for not putting a playoff caliber product on the field year after year. :gosoxretro:

Me thinks this is going to turn into a good debate thread. :cheers

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 11:44 AM)
There are a lot of non-prospect 3Bs in AAA who would be significant upgrades to what we have now. They could be had for next to nothing -- for example, look at what Arizona did to get Josh Bell from Baltimore. You don't need to spend millions of dollars to get Youk in order to improve the position. That's the lazy way out.

You mean the guy with a .542 OPS in 468at bats this year, and the career .495 OPS?

Spectacular GM ability.

Edited by Steve9347

This is a stupid thread. We have a $100 million dollar payroll, I think it's fair to say that low attendance will tie our hands in adding beyond that. We have a good enough team to win, they'll just have to go out and do it.

And thinking that this 3B situation is easily rectified is the same line of thinking that brought Orlando Hudson here. The league is short on good third basemen.

It is obvious if you read the quotes that Kenny didn't bring attendance up, but he was asked about it again.

He didn't necessarily bring it up but he knew it was a loaded question and even said he would get blasted for it, which is what some of us (Me included) are doing for not focusing on the real issues.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 11:54 AM)
It is obvious if you read the quotes that Kenny didn't bring attendance up, but he was asked about it again.

2 weeks ago he brought it up attendance while taking about no money for trade deadline.

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 11:57 AM)
He didn't necessarily bring it up but he knew it was a loaded question and even said he would get blasted for it, which is what some of us (Me included) are doing for not focusing on the real issues.

He clearly didn't want to discuss it.

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 11:57 AM)

Trust me when I say this, Kenny is not obsessed about attendance any further than what it allows him to spend. He isn't focused on attendance, fans and media are. They are the only ones who keep bringing it up. Kenny is worried about improving this team.

This is a stupid thread. We have a $100 million dollar payroll, I think it's fair to say that low attendance will tie our hands in adding beyond that. We have a good enough team to win, they'll just have to go out and do it.

And thinking that this 3B situation is easily rectified is the same line of thinking that brought Orlando Hudson here. The league is short on good third basemen.

I don't think it's stupid. He is pointing to low attendance as the reason why he can't make moves to better the team. He does this quite often and the team doesn't get better. I see the logic in calling him out on it.

Edited by SpainSOXfan09

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 11:59 AM)
I don't think it's stupid. He is pointing to low attendance as the reason why he can't make moves to better the team. He does this quite often and the team doesn't get better. I see the logic in calling him out on it.

It is an honest answer. If I follow you around and ask you daily why you haven't bought a Gold Coast condo yet, what would your answer be?

It is an honest answer. If I follow you around and ask you daily why you haven't bought a Gold Coast condo yet, what would your answer be?

SS2K5, Apples and Oranges here. I am not in the business of buying or searching for Gold Coast condos to improve a business. KW has direct business responsiblity to spend the money he is given to put out a decent product with decent results. We are responsible as consumers to either accept the value of the product or reject it. That is simple business as I see it. He is accountable to JR as the owner of the business and is equally accountable to his customers, the fans.