The Youkilis Rules: Royals Fail

caulfield12

What a game.

Yet another HUGE professional at-bat for Kevin Youkilis.

So many twists and turns in this game.

Driven in a run in 8 consecutive games, 15 for the White Sox already.

Bullpen blows 2 saves and probably deserves a C- for the game, but we survived. Another clutch 3 run homer for Viciedo got us back into it, even though he's been scuffling.

Royals had so many at-em balls there in the final innings.

White Sox got screwed by a bad call at the plate.

Axelrod manned up. Didn't give him much of a chance to pitch 2 scoreless.

Septimo was great. Omogrosso looked better than he did on Sunday.

Santiago, almost to the point where he doesn't have a role with this team, but he also got a huge out, too.

Reed really didn't look good, but it doesn't matter now.

Really starting to worry about DeAza, Jones and Reed. Happy for Gordon that he had that RBI double and then the go-ahead walk scoring on the sac fly.

Edited by caulfield12

It was eerily similar to the game where DeAza hit the ball off his knee and then Youkilis had an 8 minute at-bat.

That inning took 13 minutes to knock out Adams and the Rangers.

White Sox now 8 games over .500 on the road, I think we're 4-5 in extras, survive 2 blown saves in one game.

Great start to the horrendously scheduled 16/19 on the road. Pitching Humber and Axelrod in Boston is going to be tough...but Axe really surprised me with some cojones tonight. Still a bit surprised that Septimo and Marinez were favored by Ventura over Santiago.

Edited by caulfield12

It was eerily similar to the game where DeAza hit the ball off his knee and then Youkilis had an 8 minute at-bat.

That inning took 13 minutes to knock out Adams and the Rangers.

White Sox now 8 games over .500 on the road, I think we're 4-5 in extras, survive 2 blown saves in one game.

Great start to the horrendously scheduled 16/19 on the road. Pitching Humber and Axelrod in Boston is going to be tough...but Axe really surprised me with some cojones tonight. Still a bit surprised that Septimo and Marinez were favored by Ventura over Santiago.

[/quote Does Septimo have any idea where the ball is going once it leaves his hands. Effectively wild is an understatement. But got the job done.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 06:38 AM)
What a game.

Really starting to worry about DeAza, Jones and Reed. Happy for Gordon that he had that RBI double and then the go-ahead walk scoring on the sac fly.

I'm worried a little about Reed.

Not worried about DeAza. He had a bad game, but he finally did stroke a hit the other way. I was dying for him to hit that hole all night.

Very good crowd tonight, 32,000. Very very enjoyable game.

I was pissed AJ's blast to right skipped over the fence. Very tough break.

Was so happy to see Youk blast that fly ball after so many foul balls. That sac fly, sooo big.

Great game. My luck continued on the way home. Got pulled over doing 82 in a 70 and no ticket. Whew.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 12:38 AM)
Bullpen blows 2 saves and probably deserves a C- for the game, but we survived.

I hate to hijack the Youkilis thread, but the bullpen gave up 3 runs in 9 innings and that's a C-? Is this some reverse curve we're grading on?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 01:00 AM)
I'm worried a little about Reed.

Not worried about DeAza. He had a bad game, but he finally did stroke a hit the other way. I was dying for him to hit that hole all night.

Very good crowd tonight, 32,000. Very very enjoyable game.

I was pissed AJ's blast to right skipped over the fence. Very tough break.

Was so happy to see Youk blast that fly ball after so many foul balls. That sac fly, sooo big.

Great game. My luck continued on the way home. Got pulled over doing 82 in a 70 and no ticket. Whew.

Did u ask the policeman if he was a Guillen or White Sox fan? What were you wearing? Royals or Sox colors, lol?

The grass is so green there on t.v., looks amazing. Last Royals' game for me was in August/11.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 01:19 AM)
I hate to hijack the Youkilis thread, but the bullpen gave up 3 runs in 9 innings and that's a C-? Is this some reverse curve we're grading on?

Well, one, it's because I never expected Axelrod to survive at the end.

Number 2, it's because we have so many inexperienced rookies not used to a pennant race.

Yeah, I think it's fair when ur bullpen blows 2 save opportunities in a single game to say that's no better than a C-. I thought about a D+.

Without Crain, with Jones struggling more now in recent weeks than he ever has....with many many control issues (Jones, Septimo and it looks like Marinez as well)...I can't recall the last team to make the playoffs with so many inexperienced guys on one roster.

Doesn't mean it's impossible, but we clearly need a healthy Crain.

And, yeah, I was SORT of impressed with Thornton for awhile....at least the first batter, he threw 5 consecutive breaking pitches to K.

But there was a ball Pena SCORCHED right at Rios, Reed was lit up like a firecracker, there was the liner up the middle that would have gotten through had there not been a runner going and Gordon was standing near the bag, the ball that Thornton got them to blast at Konerko with 1st/2nd and only one out to get the DP....then there was Dyson getting picked off 2nd and Betancourt popping up with 1 out/infield fly rule.

VERY VERY FORTUNATE. Saying that despite the bad call on Hudson out at home.

Teaford battled Youkilis for 14 pitches – and lost when Youkilis send a drive to deep center for a sacrifice fly. Beckham scored without a throw.

“He fouled off the kitchen sink,” Teaford said. “I’d battled him for so long that I was going to throw a strike. I didn’t want to walk another guy.”

Dylan Axelrod, 1-2, got the victory by setting down Royals in their 14th. Teaford, 1-3, was the loser. The game took 5 hours, 23 minutes. Both teams used nine pitchers.

“I’m glad we had an All-Star break,” White Sox manager Robin Ventura said. “Both teams leaving 15 players or whatever on (base), it’s just crazy. But guys were ready and kept battling, so it’s a nice win.”

Chicago left 15, but the Royals left just 13. The White Sox were three for 15 with runners in scoring position; the Royals were five for 18.

Here are the grimmer numbers: The Royals lost for ninth time in 11 games, dropped to 37-48 and a season-worst 10½ games behind first-place Chicago. Eleven games under .500 matches a season-worst; they concluded their 12-game April skid at 3-14.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/07/13/37047...l#storylink=cpy

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 10:32 AM)
Did u ask the policeman if he was a Guillen or White Sox fan? What were you wearing? Royals or Sox colors, lol?

The grass is so green there on t.v., looks amazing. Last Royals' game for me was in August/11.

I had no baseball gear on. Good thing I didn't wear a Sox hat.

I volunteered to the guy that myself and my friend were at the Royals game. He said, "I heard it went 14 innings."

I pretended I wanted KC to win and said, 'Yeah, tough loss."

I think the cop was looking for drunk drivers. I'm still surprised he didn't ticket me for monetary reasons. Cop told me he saved me 160 bucks for 12 over.

It always surprises me when people get out of tickets with warnings. True it was 1:45 a.m. and I didn't drink at the game at all, but he had that money out of me and let me go.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 02:30 PM)
I had no baseball gear on. Good thing I didn't wear a Sox hat.

I volunteered to the guy that myself and my friend were at the Royals game. He said, "I heard it went 14 innings."

I pretended I wanted KC to win and said, 'Yeah, tough loss."

I think the cop was looking for drunk drivers. I'm still surprised he didn't ticket me for monetary reasons. Cop told me he saved me 160 bucks for 12 over.

It always surprises me when people get out of tickets with warnings. True it was 1:45 a.m. and I didn't drink at the game at all, but he had that money out of me and let me go.

You sound like Peter in the Bible.

Don't deny the Sox two more times or you'll be in trouble.