Chick-Fil-A and Homosexuality

CanOfCorn

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 01:16 PM)
Most Muslim sects don't give women the same rights as men. How many of them haven't been allowed to open mosques specifically because of said discrimination? Not allowing something specifically because of their religious views is illegal. There are backdoors around it, usually bs zoning issues, but to flat out blame it on a religious issue is the very definition of discrimination, and is opening the City of Chicago up to a big lawsuit.

Chick-fil-A is not a religious organization, thus your point is moot.

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 12:37 PM)
Except they are being denied for no other reason than religion. It would be the equal of not renting to Muslims.

haha the religion part doesn't MATTER if the company is making donations to anti-gay groups! THOSE actions can be said to be indicative of the company as a whole's beliefs.

Edited by Reddy

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 12:39 PM)
So I can not rent to Muslims because they give to anti-female organizations? BS.

are the muslims operating a business that is privy to anti-discrimination laws or a private religious institution that can do whatever it wants?

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 01:42 PM)
are the muslims operating a business that is privy to anti-discrimination laws or a private religious institution that can do whatever it wants?

Bottom line is we don't allow the government to discriminate against people for their religious beliefs, no matter what we personally think of. People have the free speech ability to support organizations that we don't approve of. The same thing would apply to a group like the KKK. They have the right to exist, and we can't stop that, no matter what they say. Political donations are protected free speech.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 12:46 PM)
Bottom line is we don't allow the government to discriminate against people for their religious beliefs, no matter what we personally think of. People have the free speech ability to support organizations that we don't approve of. The same thing would apply to a group like the KKK. They have the right to exist, and we can't stop that, no matter what they say. Political donations are protected free speech.

i guess it all depends if the donations were made by the COMPANY or just the CEO as a person then doesn't it?

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 02:11 PM)
i guess it all depends if the donations were made by the COMPANY or just the CEO as a person then doesn't it?

Actually it doesn't. Have you ever seen the Klan denied zoning based on their religious beliefs? They get denied based on things like "traffic studies" and other BS.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 07:42 PM)

Unless Chick-Fil-A is discriminating against gay customers or employees, rather than just promoting a political view, I don't see how anti-discrimination laws apply.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 11:42 AM)

I might be mistaken but the owner making a statement of his belief and actually violating anti-discrimination laws are 2 very separate things. Has there been any cases about Chik-fil-a not hiring gays, etc. Him saying that he doesn't believe in marriage, yada yada yada, is not an anti discrimination violation.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 01:46 PM)

Come on man, you know this only applies in one direction. It is laughably ironic how discriminatory the anti-discriminatory crowd has been about this story.

I just want to add that in Bourbonnais (where Bear's training camp is) a few years ago, a Hooters was being planned and basically everything was taken care of.

Until Olivet Nazarene University decided that Hooters was improper for their city and somehow blocked it.

So yeah, food for thought.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 11:58 PM)
I just want to add that in Bourbonnais (where Bear's training camp is) a few years ago, a Hooters was being planned and basically everything was taken care of.

Until Olivet Nazarene University decided that Hooters was improper for their city and somehow blocked it.

So yeah, food for thought.

Like I said, there are back door ways around it. Some guys are trying to build a strip club in my hometown. The local zoning bans adult entertainment, which has been found illegal in many other venues. So instead of using that as a reason to say no, the zoning appeals board sited traffic problems that would be created, and how many kids it could endanger who go to school about a mile down the road.

At the end of the day, the club owners have already stated they will sue to have it put in, because freedom of speech allows for that kind of stuff. I remember the same sort of stuff happening over mosques being put in somewhere in the Chicago burbs before.

for Hooters it could be a simple as the bad publicity over the fighting a community isn't worth it to their corporation. It could well be the same issues here, but with the alderman's statements, he really f***ed it up if they decide to sue.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 07:04 AM)
Like I said, there are back door ways around it. Some guys are trying to build a strip club in my hometown. The local zoning bans adult entertainment, which has been found illegal in many other venues. So instead of using that as a reason to say no, the zoning appeals board sited traffic problems that would be created, and how many kids it could endanger who go to school about a mile down the road.

At the end of the day, the club owners have already stated they will sue to have it put in, because freedom of speech allows for that kind of stuff. I remember the same sort of stuff happening over mosques being put in somewhere in the Chicago burbs before.

for Hooters it could be a simple as the bad publicity over the fighting a community isn't worth it to their corporation. It could well be the same issues here, but with the alderman's statements, he really f***ed it up if they decide to sue.

any different than what the mayor of boston said?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 03:36 PM)
He essentially said they wouldn't be welcome in Boston, but I don't believe they're actively trying to expand there now so there wasn't a specific threat.

i think the reason he said it was because Chick-fil-A WAS actively looking to open a store there.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 03:37 PM)
i think the reason he said it was because Chick-fil-A WAS actively looking to open a store there.

I would say the big difference is the Alderman is going to deny a petition. Now if they filed to get zoning for a store in Boston and got denied, then they might have a case against them.

yeah, the more i read up about it the more i'm realizing there's not much legal ground to stand on with these cases... it's just a shame, since i'm sure no one would think twice about boycotting or refusing a zoning permit to a company that actively and vocally supported the KKK or another anti-black group... what's the difference?

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 03:45 PM)
yeah, the more i read up about it the more i'm realizing there's not much legal ground to stand on with these cases... it's just a shame, since i'm sure no one would think twice about boycotting or refusing a zoning permit to a company that actively and vocally supported the KKK or another anti-black group... what's the difference?

This has actually come up before. You cannot deny a group access based on their speech.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Soci...llage_of_Skokie