Expressing non-baseball opinions on B. Myers

caulfield12

Past actions...even if not convicted of an actual crime  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Do you judge Brett Myers for incidents that happened 5-6 years ago?

• Yes, I will either not root for him actively or root against him
    • No, it doesn't matter as long as he doesn't do something similar while representing the Sox
    • No, anything off the field really shouldn't be taken into consideration
    • Yes, I won't support the Sox at all for the rest of 2012 by attending a game
    • I don't really have a strong opinion either way
  2. 2. Do you judge KW for bringing a player with such a past onto the team?

• Yes, he's sacrificing the integrity of the organization with his "win at all costs" attitude
    • No, I admire KW for doing anything he possibly can do to win, he's done his due diligence
    • I don't really have a strong opinion either way

Thought it might be easier to do it this way, and bifurcate the thread into a baseball/trade related one...and one for the off-field issues.

It really is an interesting issue from a psychological standpoint, having had players like Belle, Canseco and Manny Ramirez on the team in the past, not to mention not so famous ones like D'Angelo Jimenez or Wil Cordero.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 10:39 AM)
It really is an interesting issue from a psychological standpoint, having had players like Belle, Canseco and Manny Ramirez on the team in the past, not to mention not so famous ones like D'Angelo Jimenez or Wil Cordero.

I don't see it as interesting at all and is misplaced since it has nothing to do with Baseball.

I couldn't care less if the guy is the biggest jackass in the world or if he's a roider or if he cheats on his wife but beating women is simply inexcusable. There's some things that I just can't deal with and that's one of them. f*** Brett Myers.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 10:52 AM)
I don't see it as interesting at all and is misplaced since it has nothing to do with Baseball.

Because we have a lot of female fans, for one thing.

#2, do you really think they would have signed Albert Belle if they would have known the tepid reaction he would get from fans? Sure, he had a great season statistically, mostly when it didn't really count or matter, but from a business standpoint, it was a tactical mistake, some would even say close to a disaster.

#3, it really does matter to White Sox fans when they have players like Konerko, Thome, Dye, Buehrle, Crede, etc., who they can get behind and support...knowing they are "good guys" off the field and on. You really think that Sox fans don't care? I think you're being naive to believe the perception of the players has nothing to do with attendance. One of the most non-likeable players the last 3 years was Alex Rios, and a good percentage of that dislike was for his attitude and behavior, which has changed remarkably this year.

Dunn caught something of a break because he was perceived as a "good guy" by most in the press and media, people went out of their way to defend him and explain/rationalize away his poor season last year for a number of well-documented reasons.

So I do think it matters. Every player that puts on that uniform represents the organization, represents the manager, the GM and the owner...it's important, probably even moreso than the background of a new CFO you were hiring having the same "red flag" in it.

I put "don't have a strong opinion either way."

We can speculate either direction, but facts are hazy. He probably did something that he shouldn't have, but it also probably wasn't cut and dry. We just can't know so I'm not going to try to know. I assume KW got a feel for how the guy is perceived among the other players.

Hopefully we can win and just forget the guy

People repent. He can't undo the past. If he is still beating his wife then I understand the reaction.

Still we have no idea what their relationship is like. People say and do things without striking a blow that causes others to commit suicide.

Most men aren't going to file a complaint if their wife hits them.

Females aren't what they use to be. They are getting to be like type a males. Look in public schools and you'll find girls aren't girls anymore. They are the ones committing violence. I don't know the details of this player and I don't care but there are two sides to every story.

Amongst the lowest class of humans are people who hit the people they supposedly love, or use physicality as a means for control. Using other means to gain control is no better, but often harder to prove.

It's not accurate to say I won't root for Brett Myers because the only reason I'm watching games is to see the Sox win. I'm rooting for an outcome in his favor, but it's in spite of him, not because of him.

Not at all mad at KW for acquiring a d-bag, because avoiding bad personalities would likely require creating the worst team ever.

I am usually the first one to overreact to any violence or even offensive verbal behavior to women. But for whatever reason, I more easily believe that Brett was trying to bring his drunk ass wife to the hotel, than I do he was 'punching her in the face and dragging her by the hair' like some kind of caveman on the streets of Boston.

More importantly than what I think about the validity of any claims, is that in my mind, its more harmful to yourself than it is beneficial in any way to judge people. If you are pointing your finger at people, you are doing the same to yourself. Deep down, you are probably hating yourself after all of that finger pointing, whether you realize it at this time or not.

Edited by MAX