Silva vs Pierre?

It had to happen at some point, not sure if I'd go as far as saying Silva would destroy GSP but I do think he'd pick up the W....then proceed to face Bones I hope.

Bones said he would never fight Silva because of their friendship.. I just don't see GSP getting past the 3rd round with Silva.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 03:03 PM)
It had to happen at some point, not sure if I'd go as far as saying Silva would destroy GSP but I do think he'd pick up the W....then proceed to face Bones I hope.

Agree that Silva would beat GSP. GSP might have a chance to wrestlefark him like Sonnen-Silva I, but I think Silva is too big.

Silva doesn't want to fight Jones. They're bros or something.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 10:11 AM)
Bones said he would never fight Silva because of their friendship.. I just don't see GSP getting past the 3rd round with Silva.

If anything it's silva saying that, jones didn't care about fighting rashad Evans back when they were super close.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 04:16 PM)
If anything it's silva saying that, jones didn't care about fighting rashad Evans back when they were super close.

"Man my man ‪#AndersonSilva‬ went to work tonight, consistently amazing," Jones said "I guess Anderson said he had no interest in fighting me at tonight's press conference, I feel the same way about him. Nothing but respect."

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 10:17 AM)
"Man my man ‪#AndersonSilva‬ went to work tonight, consistently amazing," Jones said "I guess Anderson said he had no interest in fighting me at tonight's press conference, I feel the same way about him. Nothing but respect."

Right Silva said it so he is just going with it, especially since it would be his belt up for grab.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 04:50 PM)
Misleading title. I thought somebody was going to or had beat the s*** out of Juan Pierre and I'd pay to watch that.

I thought it was going to be Carlos Silva vs. Juan Pierre. I would have love to seen that horrible matchup.

Firas Zahabi, the head trainer for UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre, says his fighter wants a future bout with UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva. Zahabi, however, added that GSP knows he needs to take care of business in regards to facing Carlos Condit first.

St-Pierre and Condit are expected to square off this November to unify the UFC welterweight title. Zahabi appeared on The MMA Show with Mauro Ranallo recently.

"Georges St-Pierre told me he wants (to fight Silva). But right now, he has to get back on the horse and fight Carlos Condit and be champion again," Zahabi said (thanks to The Score for transcribing). "He needs to keep focused. (If facing Silva) ideally I'd like a catch-weight. I think it'd be more fair. If you fight a catch-weight, Silva won't be 20 pounds heavier."

Silva's management team has said as of late that a fight with GSP is the only one that makes sense. It appears that St-Pierre is on board with the idea, too.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/sports/boxi...mutual-interest

Anderson Silva is considering a drop to 170lbs for a Superfight with Georges St. Pierre.

Edited by SOXOBAMA

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 01:46 PM)
Why the hell would Sonnen deserve a LHW title shot?

its not so much that he deserves a title shot, but he was the only one willing to ask to be the replacement, its a fight that pretty much everyone would want to see and it would keep the fans that paid for tickets/airfare/hotels from getting screwed. I miss champions like Matt Hughes that would fight anyone at any time.

From Joe Lauzon:

"Not only has this screwed over all the fans that bought tickets, non refundable airfare, took off work, made arrangements, etc… but think of all the fighters. Fighters that put in full camps, flew people in that helped them trains, etc. By the time I am actually fight, I spend close to 20k between corners, flights, expenses, coaches, etc… and then to have the whole show cancelled because ONE guy didn't want to fight. This ONE guy that had trained an entire camp, who was the CHAMP and at the top of his weight class, who was going to fight someone who didn't do the camp, and was fighting UP a weight class."

Edited by flippedoutpunk

QUOTE (zenryan @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 09:54 PM)
Jones is everything that the UFC doesnt need.

He has a boxing mentality. He is already trying to hand pick opponents based off of PPV buys(must be getting a cut) and is now ducking 185 pound fighters.

Yep. Never thought id see the day when ufc fighters were allowed to cancel whole ppv's on their own. What happened to dana white's balls as the boss?

funny how just a few days ago Jones was calling Sonnen and racist and talking s*** about him but backs away from probably an easy win.

so long are the days of actual fighters competing in these events. multiple fights in a night, not knowing who youre fighting until a day or so before the event, anyone/anywhere/anytime mentalities. nowadays its just who is the better athlete.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 04:35 AM)
Machida declines the fight with Jon Chicken Bones Jones, Vitor Belfort (???????????) to face Jones at UFC 152...

I guess it's an odd choice, but at a certain point Jones has to fight and there aren't a crap-ton of options right now.

No point in a Rashad rematch

Shogun got a 45 day medical suspension on his last fight which means no way could he have taken next week's fight and the later Sept. card would have been questionable.

Machida turned it down

Phil Davis... guess he could have, but really no point in that fight

Gustaffson - UFC probably don't want to risk him right now

then rounding out the top 10 I'm just glancing at, Bader coming off a loss, Te Huna kind of a mix of Davis and Gustaffson reasons and Mousasi is in SF and there's goofy contract issues with that.

Biggest potential wildcard I thought of would be Glover Teixeira, only one UFC fight, but he is a vet that had visa problems, however that's a DANGEROUS fight for any 205 and Shogun even turned it down because of the risk of losing to a non-established name. I'm just making an educated guess here, but there's no chance in hell Greg Jackson lets Jones take that fight on 8 days or one month notice, in fact, the way Jones is running his career, if Glover performs the way I and many others think he will, Jones will be dodging him for awhile.

So they were left with asking a lighter HW to drop to 205 on either 8 days or 1 month notice or look at big 185'ers. He won't fight Chael, so that leaves Boetsch, Bisping and Belfort... Belfort makes the most sense I guess.

Even if you wanted to get goofy and stretch for something that had a 1 in a million shot and sign Fedor and have him drop down to 205, there's no way you can strike a deal with his management with them having that much leverage.

I'm sure I'm missing a few guys who could be in the mix, but there's no obvious options.

Edited by SoxFan562004