2012 ALCS: Tigers vs Yankees

Brian

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 19, 2012 -> 07:43 AM)
Even if the Sox had made the playoffs, they would have gotten their asses kicked in the first round. Their top three starters were DOA, their 1-4 hitters were hurt, and their closer was pretty much closed out. About the only guy that was really hot was Gavin Floyd, and maybe Alex Rios. That's it.

That the easy line to use to help you cope with missing it, but there's just no way to know that. A 5 game series. Any team in baseball could beat any other team in a 5 game series right now.

Baseball playoffs are random as hell. Get in, anything happens. It's been proven year after year. A few good starts from pitchers, a few homers...you're in the next round.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 19, 2012 -> 08:14 AM)
What's your opinion on the 88-win 2nd WC team Cardinals making the WS? If the Tigers aren't deserving, then there is no way St. Louis is. Might as well cancel the World Series, since no one deserves to be there, right?

I don't know, I didn't really follow the Cardinals season all that closely this year, so I can't really comment on how deserving they were or not.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 09:30 PM)
Because they played like s*** for 95% of the year, and then snuck in to the playoffs when the Sox choked it all away. They didn't deserve to make the playoffs. Obviously they've kicked ass since making it, but I mean they didn't even deserve to make the playoffs.

They made the playoffs, they deserved to make the playoffs. There's no other way really to quantify it than "they deserved it".

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Oct 19, 2012 -> 11:33 AM)
I don't know, I didn't really follow the Cardinals season all that closely this year, so I can't really comment on how deserving they were or not.

They won the same amount of games as the "undeserving" Tigers and they would not have made the playoffs under 2011's rules.

QUOTE (KG#1 @ Oct 19, 2012 -> 09:13 AM)
I absolutely hate this form of thinking. Almost everyone on here said the same thing about the Tigers, "If they make it to the playoffs, they won't do anything . . ."

Some teams step it up when the pressure is on. Apparently the Tigers can do it, St. Louis definitely can do it. Would the Sox? We can assume they would have been swept right out, but its silly to be so confident that they would've.

Except they had Justin Verlander and Max Szherzer pitching at their peaks.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 19, 2012 -> 10:56 AM)
That the easy line to use to help you cope with missing it, but there's just no way to know that. A 5 game series. Any team in baseball could beat any other team in a 5 game series right now.

Baseball playoffs are random as hell. Get in, anything happens. It's been proven year after year. A few good starts from pitchers, a few homers...you're in the next round.

I can fantasize about winning the lottery too, but that doesn't change the reality of the odds.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 20, 2012 -> 09:40 AM)
But the idea that injured and fatigued players will all of the sudden start playing good baseball again, makes sense? The odds of that aren't really very good either.

It's the postseason, it doesn't take much. Everyone's got injured and fatigued players at this point in the year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 20, 2012 -> 09:47 AM)
So who was comparable this year that won a series?

The Cardinals, really. Chris Carpenter spent a large portion of the season on the DL. Lance Lynn had a brutal August by his pre all star standards.

and when you factor in that they lost Berkman due to a knee injury, and Furcal to an arm injury, its pretty incredible what we are seeing again.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 20, 2012 -> 09:57 AM)
The Cardinals, really. Chris Carpenter spent a large portion of the season on the DL. Lance Lynn had a brutal August by his pre all star standards.

and when you factor in that they lost Berkman due to a knee injury, and Furcal to an arm injury, its pretty incredible what we are seeing again.

The Sox had injuries to their 1-4 hitters. They lost their #1 starter to injury in June, had two of their starting 5 over 100 IP past their career highs and another who was 100 IP+ over any number he had since 2007.

This is more than just "fatigue" in the 162 games played sense of the word. I know people want to hold on to the anger over this season, but it is pretty obvious why this team collapsed.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 20, 2012 -> 10:02 AM)
The Sox had injuries to their 1-4 hitters. They lost their #1 starter to injury in June, had two of their starting 5 over 100 IP past their career highs and another who was 100 IP+ over any number he had since 2007.

This is more than just "fatigue" in the 162 games played sense of the word. I know people want to hold on to the anger over this season, but it is pretty obvious why this team collapsed.

Lance Lynn was 100 innings past his previous, first year in the majors

Adam Wainwright did not pitch at all in 2011 due to TJ surgery

Chris Carpenter pitched 17 innings this season due to an arm injury.

they lost two of their top 4 hitters due to injury.

I dont know what you want, it is a very comparable situation.