Top Prospects List, Offseason

southsider2k5

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 12:13 PM)
Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisBA

Thompson. But I may be lower on each of them than most. @exposfan1998: Trayce Thompson, Jared Mitchell or Jordan Danks? #White Sox

Why would someone even ask Callis this question? If Trayce turns into what they think he may it is him hands down. Followed my Mitchell. I am not including Danks.

• 3 weeks later...

Baseball Prospectus' Top 101 Prospect List

https://baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=19694

No White Sox players. Though this note on Hawkins:

Courtney Hawkins: He’s a Texan with a ton of natural athleticism and power potential, but outside of my amateur sources, nobody wanted to turn up their microphones and be heard. Like the aforementioned 100 prospects that had a case to be on the back half of this list, Hawkins could just as easily be no. 60 as he could no. 101. If you believe in the bat, even from a corner spot, he belongs on the list. But if you have doubts about the overall promise of the stick and don’t like the direction the body is heading, even with the back-flipping athleticism that is currently present, the case for exclusion is just as strong and compelling. When I’m in the mood for ceiling, Hawkins belongs on the 101.

Really don't know what to make of this. If you believe them, then scouts are very skeptical about Hawkins.

I don't believe Keith Law has anything against the White Sox...I believe he is brutally honest and a lot of times gives overly harsh opinions of prospects. For whatever reason, I do believe that, to some extent, BP does have something out for the White Sox. I mean, for f*** sakes, they moved Arodys Vizcaino UP on this list after he threw exactly 0 innings last year.

I think their scouts don't like Hawkins. His numbers speak for themselves.

I just registered with Baseball Prospectus and I am no fan either! Grabe hit .357 last year and according to them they expect him to hit .181 this year?! What's up with that? His worst year in the last 10 was his Freshman year in the Coastal Plains League where hit hit .302.

I want a refund! LOL!

I prefer http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/pro...sp?P=eric-grabe ! At least there they know how to grade his bat!

Seriously though, Grabe will make them revise their methodology, at least where evaluating him is concerned!

Stretching, Throwing, Ground Balls, Bunting and Hitting is his routine right now at the Early Spring Training Mini Camp. Two players at each infield position, that is all there is on the field with him. Eric has been working out at 3rd.

Edited by floridafan

QUOTE (floridafan @ Feb 27, 2013 -> 08:19 AM)
I just registered with Baseball Prospectus and I am no fan either! Grabe hit .357 last year and according to them they expect him to hit .181 this year?! What's up with that? His worst year in the last 10 was his Freshman year in the Coastal Plains League where hit hit .302.

I want a refund! LOL!

I prefer http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/pro...sp?P=eric-grabe ! At least there they know how to grade his bat!

Seriously though, Grabe will make them revise their methodology, at least where evaluating him is concerned!

Streatching, Throwing, Ground Balls, Bunting and Hitting is his routine right now at the Early Spring Training Mini Camp. Two players at each infield position, that is all there is on the field with him. Eric has been working out at 3rd.

Kind of a random question, but how do you pronounce your last name? Whenever I read it I always think it is like "Grahb" (like "Cobb")

I want a refund! LOL!

Streatching, Throwing, Ground Balls, Bunting and Hitting is his routine right now at the Early Spring Training Mini Camp. Two players at each infield position, that is all there is on the field with him. Eric has been working out at 3rd.

Just wondering about those BP projections--is it possible those were major league projections and they were saying that if he were to play in the majors this year he'd hit .181 or are they actually projecting him to hit .181 in the minors this year?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 27, 2013 -> 09:28 AM)
Just wondering about those BP projections--is it possible those were major league projections and they were saying that if he were to play in the majors this year he'd hit .181 or are they actually projecting him to hit .181 in the minors this year?

That is what I can't figure out. Neither expectation is flattering however! Thats not even hitting his body weight!

One thing I do know is that they are wrong in their assessment!

I bet they discount greatly because he was a 24th rounder and is sub 6'

It can not be based on any numbers he has put up in any venue in which he has ever played, from WWBA (Perfect Game Showcases) any college season or Collegiate Summer Ball through his Rookie Season.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 27, 2013 -> 08:28 AM)

IIRC this is what the projections were for. If they were to play at the major league level this year.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Feb 26, 2013 -> 09:33 PM)
Baseball Prospectus' Top 101 Prospect List

https://baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=19694

No White Sox players. Though this note on Hawkins:

Courtney Hawkins: He’s a Texan with a ton of natural athleticism and power potential, but outside of my amateur sources, nobody wanted to turn up their microphones and be heard. Like the aforementioned 100 prospects that had a case to be on the back half of this list, Hawkins could just as easily be no. 60 as he could no. 101. If you believe in the bat, even from a corner spot, he belongs on the list. But if you have doubts about the overall promise of the stick and don’t like the direction the body is heading, even with the back-flipping athleticism that is currently present, the case for exclusion is just as strong and compelling. When I’m in the mood for ceiling, Hawkins belongs on the 101.

Really don't know what to make of this. If you believe them, then scouts are very skeptical about Hawkins.

LOL at no White Sox players. Strong K-Dub stench.

How about them Cubs, though.

18. Almora OF

20. Baez SS

36. Soler OF

54. Vizcaino SP

Check out how a real organization does things. :D

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Mar 9, 2013 -> 01:32 PM)

18. Almora OF

20. Baez SS

36. Soler OF

54. Vizcaino SP

Yeah, the Cubs are quite the organization. Look at all those overrated prospects! Our first round pick (also a HS OF) out-produced theirs, yet our guy doesn't make the top 100 but theirs is #18? That's just f***ing stupid.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Mar 9, 2013 -> 01:32 PM)

18. Almora OF

20. Baez SS

36. Soler OF

54. Vizcaino SP

61-101. If that is how a real organization does it, I am glad we aren't real.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 9, 2013 -> 04:31 PM)
61-101. If that is how a real organization does it, I am glad we aren't real.

He was obviously joking but I still remember the good ol days of Patterson, Pie, Guzman, Choi, Montanez, Jackson, Cashner etc. etc.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 9, 2013 -> 01:36 PM)
Yeah, the Cubs are quite the organization. Look at all those overrated prospects! Our first round pick (also a HS OF) out-produced theirs, yet our guy doesn't make the top 100 but theirs is #18? That's just f***ing stupid.

When you tank an entire organization for what looks to be several seasons, and you hand out a gagillion dollars to a couple Cuban prospects (one of which apparently sucks balls), and when you're MO at this point seems to be throwing money at the wall especially within the realm of facilitating trades by eating large salaries.... then I guess having 4 names pop up on a meaningless list compiled by a couple worthless desk monkeys acting on hearsay and dated marginal information means quite a bit. Go Chubbies!

No matter what the national guys want to say, I like the fact that Buddy Bell is a fan of Mitchell, and the fact that we've found the likes of Quintana & Santiago who were both apparently so s***ty they couldn't crack a top-10 in a consensus top-3 worst system in baseball. Our guys > dumbf*** desk monkeys.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Mar 9, 2013 -> 08:58 PM)
I know it hurts.

Yeah, watching the team on the South side bring up random guys and keep getting production out of them while the top picks and veterans you've invested a fortune in lose 100 games has to be excruciating.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 03:00 AM)
Yeah, watching the team on the South side bring up random guys and keep getting production out of them while the top picks and veterans you've invested a fortune in lose 100 games has to be excruciating.

I never had you pegged as a company man. Surely, you're more informed than the people who sing the praises of mediocre pitchers like Quintana and Santiago? I'm only concerned with building towards a championship. Keep your "random guys".

Who cares if the Cubs lost 100 games? The short term is meaningless in their case. If they lose 100 once again and score the #1 overall pick, then that's awesome.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Mar 9, 2013 -> 08:28 PM)
I never had you pegged as a company man. Surely, you're more informed than the people who sing the praises of mediocre pitchers like Quintana and Santiago? I'm only concerned with building towards a championship. Keep your "random guys".

Who cares if the Cubs lost 100 games? The short term is meaningless in their case. If they lose 100 once again and score the #1 overall pick, then that's awesome.

Speaking of company man... How does Ricketts pay to have you parrot their company line?

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Mar 9, 2013 -> 10:28 PM)

Good lord.

If the White Sox had the Cubs roster this year, I wouldn't be paying for MLB Extra innings, and I'd be going out a lot more on Saturday.