Rick Hahn

ZionrulZ

There are a multitude of reasons why you don't tear the team completely apart and like 1, maybe 2 reasons why you should (not having to worry because they're going to suck, and draft pick). There's no guarantee of success, the entire regime will end up changing again, and then you lose the majority of the young person fandom.

Blowing up is just a terrible, terrible idea.

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 11:44 AM)
Would you rather have Torii Hunter on the White Sox at this stage than Viciedo though? I think Viciedo's numbers at the end of the year will be better than Hunter's numbers. Tank should hit close to 30 HR's this year.

I'd rather have Hunter for the next year or two, if they're both paid the same amount.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 02:54 PM)
There are a multitude of reasons why you don't tear the team completely apart and like 1, maybe 2 reasons why you should (not having to worry because they're going to suck, and draft pick). There's no guarantee of success, the entire regime will end up changing again, and then you lose the majority of the young person fandom.

Blowing up is just a terrible, terrible idea.

Especially for a team of our means. The way to get that cost-controlled talent and build a really strong team is to invest in scouting, amateur draft, and international free agents. These can be done for the most part while salvaging a competitive roster. Unfortunately the Sox neglected investment in these areas for years. Only until relatively recently can we see their philosophy slowly turning around. And the new CBA helps us in this area too, I would say.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 02:02 PM)
Especially for a team of our means. The way to get that cost-controlled talent and build a really strong team is to invest in scouting, amateur draft, and international free agents. These can be done for the most part while salvaging a competitive roster. Unfortunately the Sox neglected investment in these areas for years. Only until relatively recently can we see their philosophy slowly turning around. And the new CBA helps us in this area too, I would say.

The one benefit of blowing up the team in the past was that you could essentially spend a limitless amount of amateur players. Both of those have been tightened up to the point where it is now incredibly inefficient to spend beyond the pre-determined limits.

I think, going into the future, you will see fewer and fewer teams blow up like they have in the past because of these restrictions, which is a very good thing.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 01:21 PM)
It is easy to sit up and take shots like that when you aren't the one managing the budget. Fortunately Kenny, Rick, Jerry and company do consider the effects on the fan base. Sox fans are notorious fickle. Their history proves that.

By the same token, history isn't very kind to Chairman Reinsdorf's ownership tenure.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 02:42 PM)
5 division titles and 1 world series title is the best ownership run since Charles Comiskey.

30 years, 5 postseason appearances and 1 title. Not good enough to blame the fans for the organization's failure as they so often do.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 02:42 PM)
5 division titles and 1 world series title is the best ownership run since Charles Comiskey.

Yes, but in the past there were far fewer playoff teams eligible, so the comparison is not exactly fair.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 02:47 PM)
30 years, 5 postseason appearances and 1 title. Not good enough to blame the fans for the organization's failure as they so often do.

Blame for the organizational failure? I'd like to see some proof where the Sox blame the fans for not winning.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 03:00 PM)
I am still waiting for the quote that directly links fan behavior to losing from someone in the organization.

I can't find the quote. You are right. Getting back to your original post, how does Sox fans being fickel effect the product the front office puts on the field?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 01:21 PM)
It is easy to sit up and take shots like that when you aren't the one managing the budget. Fortunately Kenny, Rick, Jerry and company do consider the effects on the fan base. Sox fans are notorious fickle. Their history proves that.

Oh I see its the fans fault theat management traded away good, inexpensive, young talent for Nick Swisher and Edwin Jackson

Would you rather have Torii Hunter on the White Sox at this stage than Viciedo though? I think Viciedo's numbers at the end of the year will be better than Hunter's numbers. Tank should hit close to 30 HR's this year.

Of course we'd rather have Tank at this stage of their careers, except that Tank will NEVER be as good defensively as Torii, even at Torii's current age.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 03:17 PM)
I don't think the Sox fans being fickel should have anything to do with the team the front office fields. If it does, that just shows you the problem lies with ownership.

The entire situation is a giant Catch-22. The only thing the front office can do from this point forward, and from every point forward after that, is to put the best product on the field they can while also taking into consideration the future of the organization. That's what they do.

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 03:22 PM)
Of course we'd rather have Tank at this stage of their careers, except that Tank will NEVER be as good defensively as Torii, even at Torii's current age.

And it's certainly possible that, in the future, Viciedo puts up numbers that make Hunter's pale in comparison while also being fairly competent defensively.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 03:17 PM)
I don't think the Sox fans being fickel should have anything to do with the team the front office fields. If it does, that just shows you the problem lies with ownership.

It has everything to do with the type of team gets fielded. Because the bandwagon empties for even a .500 team, it is impossible to have a full sell off. Understanding your customer is a part of being a smart company in any field. A team like the Cubs can do a full sell off because they know their fans will still show up.