Americans Life Expectancy

Reddy

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 09:28 AM)
It would be impossible for me to say your argument doesn't have some degree of weight behind it. So, I agree to a point.

But more than the unhealthy/cheaper choices, I personally believe that more so than any other factor, is people tend to ignore the new reality in which they live. People exercise less than then they once did, as their jobs, and even daily life REQUIRED more exercise. Things as simple as washing dishes has become an automated process with dishwashers. Even kids...smart, educated kids from educated families...they watch too much TV, and play too many video games because the parents are too busy trying to hold down 56 jobs so they can own 2 houses, 4 cars, take fancy vacations, etc, etc...everyone has time to f*** and have kids...but it seems nobody has time to raise them themselves. As for things like making sure sure they do things like exercise...meh, who has time for that? Because, you know, the little amount of time most modern parents spend with their kids, the TV acts their new "baby sitter", because who the f*** has time for that s***?

To me, it's excuse after excuse. Take me for example...I'd LOVVEEEE it if my wife worked...as my job alone gets us by, if she had money coming in it'd be PURE cream off the top...we'd have the money for all this extravagant stuff that we don't really need. Sure, our daughter (and the second one on the way) would suffer, but we'd have all that extra stuff people worry about. How about no thanks. How about we raise the kids we decided to have so long as we can afford to NOT sacrifice them in the name of extra spending money. WE chose to have them. WE will raise them. Not some nanny, not their grandparents...US. And right now, that means we don't get to take extravagant island vacations. I took them camping 3 times last summer, once to South Dakota, once to Northern Wisconsin and once to Southern IL. That was our vacation time. Yes, sleeping in tents, not hotels. Also, I have no netflix, and only basic cable...because we cannot afford a 200+$ cable bill every month, unless of course she went to work...then we can have all that extra crap.

The reality is, we've become a society of wanting our cake and eating it too. We want to sit in an office all day instead of being a laborer, but we don't want to exercise. We want kids...but who the f*** has time to actually raise them? It's much easier to just blame someone, such as the government, than actually doing something about it DESPITE living in a country where you actually CAN do something about it...like exercising, or living with a little less to stay within your means.

I see what you did there.

And agreed, live within your means. Just because everyone else is buying a new car, or putting additions on their houses doesn't mean you have to or can afford it as well.

Having more education on personal finances, in any neighborhood, is essential imo.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 13, 2013 -> 04:24 PM)
But depending on who you listen to, only certain ones. Don't buy the ones from Kroger, they're GMO and pesticide-laden. Find your nearest Whole Foods, food stamp recipient.

This is a dumb comment.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 10:28 AM)
It would be impossible for me to say your argument doesn't have some degree of weight behind it. So, I agree to a point.

But more than the unhealthy/cheaper choices, I personally believe that more so than any other factor, is people tend to ignore the new reality in which they live. People exercise less than then they once did, as their jobs, and even daily life REQUIRED more exercise. Things as simple as washing dishes has become an automated process with dishwashers. Even kids...smart, educated kids from educated families...they watch too much TV, and play too many video games because the parents are too busy trying to hold down 56 jobs so they can own 2 houses, 4 cars, take fancy vacations, etc, etc...everyone has time to f*** and have kids...but it seems nobody has time to raise them themselves. As for things like making sure sure they do things like exercise...meh, who has time for that? Because, you know, the little amount of time most modern parents spend with their kids, the TV acts their new "baby sitter", because who the f*** has time for that s***?

To me, it's excuse after excuse. Take me for example...I'd LOVVEEEE it if my wife worked...as my job alone gets us by, if she had money coming in it'd be PURE cream off the top...we'd have the money for all this extravagant stuff that we don't really need. Sure, our daughter (and the second one on the way) would suffer, but we'd have all that extra stuff people worry about. How about no thanks. How about we raise the kids we decided to have so long as we can afford to NOT sacrifice them in the name of extra spending money. WE chose to have them. WE will raise them. Not some nanny, not their grandparents...US. And right now, that means we don't get to take extravagant island vacations. I took them camping 3 times last summer, once to South Dakota, once to Northern Wisconsin and once to Southern IL. That was our vacation time. Yes, sleeping in tents, not hotels. Also, I have no netflix, and only basic cable...because we cannot afford a 200+$ cable bill every month, unless of course she went to work...then we can have all that extra crap.

The reality is, we've become a society of wanting our cake and eating it too. We want to sit in an office all day instead of being a laborer, but we don't want to exercise. We want kids...but who the f*** has time to actually raise them? It's much easier to just blame someone, such as the government, than actually doing something about it DESPITE living in a country where you actually CAN do something about it...like exercising, or living with a little less to stay within your means.

*slow clap*

completely agree.

just also think it would be nice if our government and medical industry weren't specifically TRYING to f*** us as well.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 08:53 AM)
We're the fattest because we can be. You'd rather hear excuses in our excuse laden society, because it's an easier route to take. But it's all choice...and the choice the majority of us make is to not care/be lazy/blame someone or something else. It's NOT because of our food supply, considering the choices that exist in our food supply, which are nearly endless.

It's because we eat WAY more than necessary, but never burn it off because we'd rather sit around and watch TV.

First world problems.

I have an idea, get off your lazy asses and work out...society has changed, and office jobs are a new reality...if you sit around all day long at a desk -- like most of us do -- then you need to supplement working out into your life. Period. Unlike the generations of industrial workers before us, we don't put on hard hats and get 8 hours of exercise just by doing our back breaking jobs all day long.

And we're back to my points from page 1 - very good post.

People are lazy and make excuses. Losing weight is so f***ing easy, you just have to put down the fried chicken and get your ass to the gym for an hour a day. (or put down the cake, or the mcd's and jog in place at your home or go up and down some steps or go for a run out side or do pushups). There's so many ways to exercise; the excuses are just for the fat and lazy.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 09:28 AM)

It's amazing how you make sense sometimes. :lol:

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 10:10 AM)

People are lazy and make excuses. Losing weight is so f***ing easy, you just have to put down the fried chicken and get your ass to the gym for an hour a day. (or put down the cake, or the mcd's and jog in place at your home or go up and down some steps or go for a run out side or do pushups). There's so many ways to exercise; the excuses are just for the fat and lazy.

Exactly. Same for people with the, "I can't afford a gym membership", excuse, which I can understand...but that doesn't mean you shouldn't work out. Seems for most people that if they can't get to a gym for whatever the reason may be, it means they don't have to work out...and it's not their fault! You don't NEED a gym to work out. You don't need weights to work out. You don't need anything to work out other than the physical ability to do so.

Just do 20 minutes a day...hell, do 20 minutes 3 days a week...but do SOMETHING.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 10:15 AM)
Exactly. Same for people with the, "I can't afford a gym membership", excuse, which I can understand...but that doesn't mean you shouldn't work out. Seems for most people that if they can't get to a gym for whatever the reason may be, it means they don't have to work out...and it's not their fault! You don't NEED a gym to work out. You don't need weights to work out. You don't need anything to work out other than the physical ability to do so.

Just do 20 minutes a day...hell, do 20 minutes 3 days a week...but do SOMETHING.

The same people, if they do get a gym membership, just pay for it monthly and never go. I'd love to see statistics on the amount of gym memberships that go unused. People are just lazy.

What's funny, is once you get past that hurdle of starting to work out, for like a week or two, it becomes so addicting that you never stop.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 10:18 AM)
The same people, if they do get a gym membership, just pay for it monthly and never go. I'd love to see statistics on the amount of gym memberships that go unused. People are just lazy.

What's funny, is once you get past that hurdle of starting to work out, for like a week or two, it becomes so addicting that you never stop.

Do you always enjoy the influx of "leaf turners" and "new years resolution" people that fill up the gym this time of year?

They'll be gone in a month.

And you're right...it IS addicting, because your body craves that feel, and the chemicals it produces naturally...it's intoxicating in a different kind of way. The only times I stop going to the gym/working out are when I'm physically unable to do so...which can happen. I feel for those people, especially those that are always like that...but most people don't have that excuse.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 10:21 AM)
Do you always enjoy the influx of "leaf turners" and "new years resolution" people that fill up the gym this time of year?

They'll be gone in a month.

And you're right...it IS addicting, because your body craves that feel, and the chemicals it produces naturally...it's intoxicating in a different kind of way. The only times I stop going to the gym/working out are when I'm physically unable to do so...which can happen. I feel for those people, especially those that are always like that...but most people don't have that excuse.

Yeah, the resolutioners suck ass, but they are already starting to trickle out - I don't see nearly as many because I work out before work, and the resolutioners almost never get their asses up that early!

And yeah, obviously anyone with an injury who is incapable of working out, I feel for... I had a brutal knee injury early to mid 2012 and it was a disaster. I still found ways to work out and introduced myself to a lot of knew lifting techniques and ideas. But man, injuries suck balls.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 10:10 AM)

I agree with this generally, though I will say that having an infant really f***s up your ability to exercise properly. I get my exercise during the day, walking to/from the train station to my work and to/from my work to the courthouse downtown, and really I need to exercise more as I'm definitely in the "obese" category (6 foot, 235lbs). But while I have a little free time to exercise at night, the reality is I don't have the energy. I'm up at 6am with the kid, helping my wife get him fed, clothed and ready for daycare (and getting myself ready) and then when I get home it's the same routine to get him to bed by 8. My "free time" during the day is from about 8-10, but even then there's usually dinner to make or the house to pick up or my basement remodel to work on. I don't have an hour a day to exercise. That's got nothing to do with me being lazy, it's literally not having the time in the day to do it.

I have no excuse for not eating right. But the exercise part is a little more difficult.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 12:08 PM)
I agree with this generally, though I will say that having an infant really f***s up your ability to exercise properly. I get my exercise during the day, walking to/from the train station to my work and to/from my work to the courthouse downtown, and really I need to exercise more as I'm definitely in the "obese" category (6 foot, 235lbs). But while I have a little free time to exercise at night, the reality is I don't have the energy. I'm up at 6am with the kid, helping my wife get him fed, clothed and ready for daycare (and getting myself ready) and then when I get home it's the same routine to get him to bed by 8. My "free time" during the day is from about 8-10, but even then there's usually dinner to make or the house to pick up or my basement remodel to work on. I don't have an hour a day to exercise. That's got nothing to do with me being lazy, it's literally not having the time in the day to do it.

I have no excuse for not eating right. But the exercise part is a little more difficult.

honestly, you if you have 20-30 minutes at home you can get a workout in. but i do completely understand and sympathize with your situation.

How funny is it that i think we've all come to the same agreement here on this last page or two that people need to sack the f*** up? Who ever saw THAT coming in the 'buster?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 11:08 AM)
But while I have a little free time to exercise at night, the reality is I don't have the energy.

Serious question, did you know that working out GIVES you energy? It's true. On days I skip the gym and sleep til 7, I'm more tired than on days I get up at 5:45 and go to the gym. You just have to get over that hurdle.

But yeah, no kid yet. Talk to me this time next year - but we bought a treadmill specifically for the fact that we're getting ready to make a baby.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 11:08 AM)

If you start eating better, caring for an infant will literally be your exercise.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 12:13 PM)
If you start eating better, caring for an infant will literally be your exercise.

haha hell you can do chest and shoulder presses with your kid! use play time as exercise time! :P

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 13, 2013 -> 06:08 PM)
and... we're the fattest... because of our food... supply...

i'm confused on how what you said is different from what i said

I just wanted to make sure that we were clear that it is food --> fat/unhealthy --> cancer and not just food --> cancer

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 12:25 PM)
I just wanted to make sure that we were clear that it is food --> fat/unhealthy --> cancer and not just food --> cancer

well... that's still being debated. GMOs, chemicals, preservatives, etc... i'm not willing to rule out that they can cause ill effects over time. we just don't know yet.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 11:30 AM)
well... that's still being debated. GMOs, chemicals, preservatives, etc... i'm not willing to rule out that they can cause ill effects over time. we just don't know yet.

Will take 40+ years for any kind of conclusive evidence of this...it's even possible that those preservatives are preserving our bodies, causing us to live long enough to die of things like cancer, where in the past we just didn't live long enough. I don't really think GMO's are all that bad for us, if they are at all...I think a lot of this is hype and misinformation.

I think lack of exercise is more the cause of these issues than GMO's...people are lazy...so let's make s*** up to justify that.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 01:23 PM)
Will take 40+ years for any kind of conclusive evidence of this...it's even possible that those preservatives are preserving our bodies, causing us to live long enough to die of things like cancer, where in the past we just didn't live long enough. I don't really think GMO's are all that bad for us, if they are at all...I think a lot of this is hype and misinformation.

I think lack of exercise is more the cause of these issues than GMO's...people are lazy...so let's make s*** up to justify that.

lack of exercise and sugar.

you don't have to believe GMO's are bad if you don't want to. I'd prefer not to eat corn with the pesticides already growing inside them, but to each his or her own.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 09:13 PM)
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/01/14/health/c...sity/index.html

Perfect, Coca-Cola's going to "spin" that now they want to be part of a proactive solution and deflect the blame from their beverages and say they're just a symptom of the epidemic, not the endemic cause or one of the primary ones.

well... what other choice do they have really?

This is more of the same thing we've already been talking about it...

It's about personal choice and having some self control.

I LOVE me a fountain Coke once in a while -- no, not that fake ass diet s***, either -- but a REAL Coke, out of a fountain...not sure why, but I love it out of the fountain. That said...it doesn't mean I have to drink 5 of them a day...or a week...or even in a month.

Have some f***ing willpower. Just because some fat retards have none, doesn't mean I should lose the choice of a Coke, or a Big Mac, or whatever the f*** else for that matter. I'm sick of brain dead, no willpower having asshats ruining s*** for everyone else. Stop blaming Coke for making you fat, and stop f***ing drinking it.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 15, 2013 -> 08:37 AM)

I LOVE me a fountain Coke once in a while -- no, not that fake ass diet s***, either -- but a REAL Coke, out of a fountain...not sure why, but I love it out of the fountain. That said...it doesn't mean I have to drink 5 of them a day...or a week...or even in a month.

Have some f***ing willpower. Just because some fat retards have none, doesn't mean I should lose the choice of a Coke, or a Big Mac, or whatever the f*** else for that matter. I'm sick of brain dead, no willpower having asshats ruining s*** for everyone else. Stop blaming Coke for making you fat, and stop f***ing drinking it.

This isn't Russia, is it Danny?

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 15, 2013 -> 09:37 AM)

Haha I love when you rage on things I agree with.