One in Three Living in Poverty in Illinois

Jenksismyhero

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 10:45 AM)
Which is why I'm totally onboard with voluntary jobs, education and community programs.

Picking up trash for 40 hours a week isn't going to land you the types of jobs that are actually open right now. The city isn't going to be massively expanding payrolls--state and local governments have cut huge amounts of jobs over the past several years, something that's really hampered the recovery.

Here's an example of the type of s***ty jobs available and why it's so hard to climb out of poverty:

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2012/12/13/mc...od-retail-ceos/

Those comparisons are so awful. How much money does the CEO make the company/other people? How about that worker? What prevented said worker from getting a different job? McDonald's hires new managers all the time, they make more than 8.25 an hour. Why didn't he become a manager?

And ANY job experience is better than NO job experience. Not sure why your standard is so high here. Is a mandatory jobs program going to lead to an engineering gig in 2 years paying 125k? Nope. But perhaps he gets off the government payroll and his/her next generation sees the value of education and better work and they move up the ladder.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can safely say that management is vastly overpaid and that they do not add value in the same proportion that they are paid over the workers who actually produce and provide the products. This explosion of c-level compensation is a relatively recent phenomenon.

My standard is high because my point is that there's a lot of people in poverty and relying on aid because there's no damn jobs out there right now. Pointing to jobs that require substantial education, as ss2k5 did, doesn't really address that.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 04:26 PM)
I would be in Texas right now if my wife would let us go. But she doesn't want to be that far from the rest of her family. Happy wife, happy life.

There is an intersting article on how Mexican immigration has really helped the economy here. It's a giant Doh for anyone that lives here.

http://nation.time.com/2013/01/14/the-new-...changing-texas/

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 10:03 AM)
This could be part of the program . One day a wek as work starts there is an information session on these types of things. Even in the current system. Maybe they should make it mandatory to go to an information session on this type of thing.

When I was unemployed I was required to go to some sort of training seminar one time. Most of it focused on how to use the IDES website for job searching but it was fairly worthless.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 12:54 PM)
When I was unemployed I was required to go to some sort of training seminar one time. Most of it focused on how to use the IDES website for job searching but it was fairly worthless.

It needs to be more substantial then.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 11:13 AM)
I can safely say that management is vastly overpaid and that they do not add value in the same proportion that they are paid over the workers who actually produce and provide the products. This explosion of c-level compensation is a relatively recent phenomenon.

My standard is high because my point is that there's a lot of people in poverty and relying on aid because there's no damn jobs out there right now. Pointing to jobs that require substantial education, as ss2k5 did, doesn't really address that.

This program would help keep them employed and doing things until the job market improves. If it doesn't, they are a contrbuting members of society. If the market doesn't improve these people by your definition will be unemployed anyway, so give them a job no matter how menial.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 04:19 PM)
And yes, SS, I would gladly move to a different state. The wife and I have already talked about moving even if the commute does suck.

Come to Minnesota! It's a great state. Plus, no sales taxes on "staples" like food and clothing. Not sure what the income tax is like right now, I'm too poor of a student to worry about that.

No seriously, I'm actually a big fan of living here. The only problem is that whoever designed the highway system here, especially the on/off ramps, has a lower IQ than Oney Guillen.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 01:14 PM)
Come to Minnesota! It's a great state. Plus, no sales taxes on "staples" like food and clothing. Not sure what the income tax is like right now, I'm too poor of a student to worry about that.

No seriously, I'm actually a big fan of living here. The only problem is that whoever designed the highway system here, especially the on/off ramps, has a lower IQ than Oney Guillen.

Yeah my buddy moved up there a couple of years ago. We visit about once a year and hit up Ghastoff's every time. I love the city, even with all the hipsters.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 10:37 AM)
I have no objection to outreach and educational programs being offered. I don't object to voluntary work programs being available, and completely agree about the self-image part. I spent the last 15 minutes digging through the CTU strike thread to find this from a friend of mine:

http://liveandknot.wordpress.com/2012/09/1...hers-narrative/

what I don't agree with is making these things mandatory. I don't believe that the people who truly are lazy, irresponsible and don't give a f*** deserve to starve to death.

You just criticized Duke for using his personal observation as an example:

Evaluating the work done by the public sector based on what you literally see. Brilliant.

Yes base your point on a single post you read. Very nice.

I criticized duke for drawing a conclusion on what work the public sector does based on what he sees on the sidewalk walking to work.

I linked to a post by a friend who expressed the same idea that ptact was getting at and with which I agree because I thought it was well-written.

lol@u if you think these are comparable things.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 04:39 PM)
At the expense of a s***ty education system, s***ty infrastructure and poor people suffering.

We judge education systems by the student's outcome on standardized tests which sometimes unfairly characterizes the schools. In Texas we have a very large recent immigrant population which severly impacts our test scores. The schools are much better than most people outside of Texas realize. We also have a very strong state funded university system. Comparing U of I with UT - Austin, which I believe are very comparatable instututions, the in state tuition is about 33% less for Austin.

I'm not certain what you mean about infrastructure.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 08:25 AM)
We judge education systems by the student's outcome on standardized tests which sometimes unfairly characterizes the schools. In Texas we have a very large recent immigrant population which severly impacts our test scores. The schools are much better than most people outside of Texas realize. We also have a very strong state funded university system. Comparing U of I with UT - Austin, which I believe are very comparatable instututions, the in state tuition is about 33% less for Austin.

We also require the education of everyone, and then compare it to the rest of the world who doesn't.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 08:25 AM)

I've read before that Texas has underfunded infrastructure:

http://www.texastribune.org/2012/12/04/ins...frastructure-1/

That's not unique to Texas, though. We've underfunded infrastructure nation-wide, despite being able to borrow money for free and a bunch of people particularly in construction that need jobs. Texas made billions in cuts to their education funding last year as well.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/05/us/budge...?pagewanted=all

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 08:34 AM)
I've read before that Texas has underfunded infrastructure:

http://www.texastribune.org/2012/12/04/ins...frastructure-1/

That's not unique to Texas, though. We've underfunded infrastructure nation-wide, despite being able to borrow money for free and a bunch of people particularly in construction that need jobs. Texas made billions in cuts to their education funding last year as well.

School systems aren't borrowing money for free.

Texas also has a rainy day fund available. Yes, it would be possible to borrow money and do more but the Texas government runs on what the folks in the state are sending in. Some people can handle that, others want more stuff.